• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will/will the WALKING DEAD bubble burst?
7 7

3,607 posts in this topic

I am still watching, but the jump the shark moment for me was the fake Glenn death scene with the dumpster. Then the extremely slow Negan introduction and the stupid trash people. But maybe they can turn it around with season 8, first episode was good in my opinion. Though I don't think they will have the numbers they did a few seasons ago, seems like once a show looses momentum it never recovers lost viewers. There is to much other entertainment available now a days and people move on to the next thing.

4 hours ago, Transplant said:

As a Southerner, that is a preposterous statement.  It is passable at best and truly cringe worthy at times.

I wouldn't call it great, but it's about as good/bad as any non-southerner's southern accent.

Edited by Dr Zen

19 hours ago, Transplant said:

As a Southerner, that is a preposterous statement.  It is passable at best and truly cringe worthy at times.

lol that is ciming from a Midwesterner...

i guess I never addressed the title in this thread.  Not sure on a bubble but even though I love TWD I have no desire to own any comics being a Silver and Bronze Age collector.   

18 hours ago, FutureFlash said:

I am still watching, but the jump the shark moment for me was the fake Glenn death scene with the dumpster. Then the extremely slow Negan introduction and the stupid trash people. But maybe they can turn it around with season 8, first episode was good in my opinion. Though I don't think they will have the numbers they did a few seasons ago, seems like once a show looses momentum it never recovers lost viewers. There is to much other entertainment available now a days and people move on to the next thing.

The fake death scene felt like such a ratings grab it turned me off and some other people i know. I still watch the show show but it felt like lazy writing. Why would one of the highest watched shows do such a low blow cheap writing tactic? It was a soap opera move. 

2 hours ago, hoffitmus prime said:

The fake death scene felt like such a ratings grab it turned me off and some other people i know. I still watch the show show but it felt like lazy writing. Why would one of the highest watched shows do such a low blow cheap writing tactic? It was a soap opera move. 

I think a big part of those twists is simply Kirkman trying to keep the viewers who also read the comics guessing. We know who is supposed to die, when and how. The Glenn thing was a bit WTF-ish but I appreciate that they are trying to keep the story fresh. I don't think I'd be as interested in the show if it just kept right alongside the comics.

3 hours ago, Drew Stair said:

I think a big part of those twists is simply Kirkman trying to keep the viewers who also read the comics guessing. We know who is supposed to die, when and how. The Glenn thing was a bit WTF-ish but I appreciate that they are trying to keep the story fresh. I don't think I'd be as interested in the show if it just kept right alongside the comics.

Seems to me you're giving Kirkman too much control over the tv show. It's obvious the TV people need to have their voices heard and ridiculous stuff like the Glenn fake out death and the trash people are the wretched results.

Seems to have gone down when they stopped making the zombies the important focus on the show. First season was gold. Slowly went downhill, than when off the rails the last 2 seasons.

They might just be better off cancelling it coming out with movies every few years.

One thing that is still pretty cool are TWD video games. Those still rock! 

On 10/27/2017 at 3:35 AM, Designer Toast said:

I need to catch up from last season still.  Saw an article reporting this season's premiere was the lowest watched in five years, over 40% drop.  Maybe a lot of people are downloading, DVRing?  I'm a dummy when it comes to the ratings system for television.

Kind of sorta ties-in to what you are talking about.

Walking Dead’ Season 8 Premiere: Piracy Downloads Drop 42% .

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/walking-dead-season-8-piracy-decline-1202597900/

The latest season of “The Walking Dead” has stumbled, zombie-like, to a rocky start — among both TV viewers and internet pirates.

Global piracy of Sunday’s premiere of “Walking Dead” season 8 was 42% lower than season 7 last year, comparing the one-day period after the official first airing on AMC, according to piracy-tracking firm Tecxipio. That comes as the show notched its lowest-rated premiere in five years in the U.S.

While studios and networks would normally welcome drops in piracy activity, it also potentially reflects “The Walking Dead”‘s declining popularity.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Id guess the bubble will be popping right about...end of last season? Just guessing here. I watched the first few seasons and liked it but lost interest. Local radio show here used to discuss it with quite a bit of passion here and there but you could tell they were losing steam last season. They barely care now. Sounds like a lot of people dropped when Glen was brutally killed? Eye popped out after a bat to head by Negan? (sorry, this is all second hand, don't follow the show as previously mentioned) 

The first issues should hold some value for the long term but Id expect the rest to really plummet once the show ends. As a non current fan Id think anything besides the first few and Micchones first app would be dropping fast in value right now. I could be way off but thats my opinion. 

So I caved and binged watch the second half of Season 7.   I'll throw it on Spoiler in case people still want to catch up like I did. 

A few observations:

Spoiler

1) Tired of Negan and his long drawn out 'this is what I am going to do to you' speeches.  If he would just do it, he would get a lot more accomplished in a day. 

2) The firefight in the last episode of Season 7 was so chaotic, it was hard to tell who was shooting at who.  Garbage Lady just kept her revolver on Rick the whole time.  Why?  Just shoot him?!   You see a 450 lb Tiger mauling the guy next to you, don't you think some shots would be fired at said Tiger?  Not one hit?   Just a messy, nonsense fight scene, with serious automatic weapons, with people firing in all directions, and nobody really getting shot. 

3) Speaking of Garbage Lady, what language is she speaking?  I mean, going by Judith's age, the zombie apocolypse is what...going on 6 years.  When did the English language get bastardized by the Garbage people and morph into something that a Twilight Zone character would talk like?!  

4) Pretty much going to skip Season 8. 

Edited by Mercury Man

2 hours ago, Paddy_McShillihan said:

Fear the Walking dead is better ... i head they're  going to crossover with WD eventually  

this is the real point. (not the quality of fear the walking dead) when walking dead is no longer on the air, some spinoff, sequel or prequel will still be on the air. the franchise is unlikely to ever disappear. ditto for game of thrones. of course GOT is a whole other level of writing, but the same principle applies. the studios have a huge franchise, they will never let it die. 

6 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

this is the real point. (not the quality of fear the walking dead) when walking dead is no longer on the air, some spinoff, sequel or prequel will still be on the air. the franchise is unlikely to ever disappear. ditto for game of thrones. of course GOT is a whole other level of writing, but the same principle applies. the studios have a huge franchise, they will never let it die. 

If the flagship series is fading, very tall order for spinoffs to carry on the banner.  There will be new zombie series, movies, comics.  Immortality is reserved for the first in a genre (Dracula), or as you put it, a whole other level of writing in a genre (GoT).  Seems like everyone and their mother is tired of TWD, including those still watching.

Edited by exitmusicblue