• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Way to Store Key Cgc Graded Comics

55 posts in this topic

CGC Cardboard boxes for me. Cheap and simple but they do the job and look nice.

Now if the Hulk 1 and AF 15 or any other books are very high value i would look into a bank safety deposit box or insurance.

Be careful of safes though, some will rust the staples.

Now if the Hulk 1 and AF 15 or any other books are very high value i would look into a bank safety deposit box or insurance.

I looked into bank safety deposit box over here in UK, sadly no bank offers the service anymore except to existing customers.

Self Storage units have taken over.

I looked into bank safety deposit box over here in UK, sadly no bank offers the service anymore except to existing customers.

Really? That's odd.

I have a Self Storage unit at the moment for eveything because i have no room until i move again. Let me tell you the insurance on those are steep (not to mention the actual cost of the room). If i had expensive books i wouldn't leave them in self storage just because of the insurance costs involved.

Really? That's odd.

I have a Self Storage unit at the moment for eveything because i have no room until i move again. Let me tell you the insurance on those are steep (not to mention the actual cost of the room). If i had expensive books i wouldn't leave them in self storage just because of the insurance costs involved.

Yep. I had a meeting with a financial advisor not so long ago and asked about deposit boxes in the bank and he said they don't offer the service anymore. The boom of self storage units has allowed the banks to wind down the service to all but existing customers.

I was just discussing this!

I am moving into a new house next week and was planning on getting a safe of some sort but now I am not so sure.

Any other ways? It sounds stupid but I want them protected well (from damage AND potential theft) but also easily accessible. Not sure I can have it both ways.

I had a few in a safety deposit box, my most expensive. We've had a TON of break ins in our development(enough to make the news! meh ) and last week i came home and our back sliding glass door had been forced open a few inches. We have a VERY large dog who i assume scared them off before they got inside but it DEFINITELY worried me.

The attempted break in worried me enough that I took about 100 slabs and moved them over to where i had my safety deposit box and put them in their vault. Its freaking awesome there! It was easier to get the Terminators CPU out in T2 than it is to get to my slabs now :acclaim:

even on slabbed books? hm

I was discussing safes with someone last night and here is some of what they told me:

The book was slabbed and then the owner placed it in a Gun Safe. Whatever the chemical they use to make the safes fireproof accelerates rust by like 100 times. Since the staples are so small and thin they rust in a matter of months.

So the guy who had it slabbed the 1st time kept it in a safe and the rust just ate the staples. It had started to spread to the book as well.

I had custom cabinets built and store all my slabs spine edge down with the top label facing outwards.

Pictures? :shy:

Possibly hm

I'm sure Joeys is MUCH nicer since this is a bookshelf i found discarded behind my business :blush: but you get the idea. I've been storing my slabs like this for like a year. Spine down, top label out like Joey said. SOOOOOOO much easier and better than boxes imo, makes it MUCH easier to find any book im looking for

cr3.jpg

I had custom cabinets built and store all my slabs spine edge down with the top label facing outwards.

Possibly hm

I'm sure Joeys is MUCH nicer since this is a bookshelf i found discarded behind my business :blush: but you get the idea. I've been storing my slabs like this for like a year. Spine down, top label out like Joey said. SOOOOOOO much easier and better than boxes imo, makes it MUCH easier to find any book im looking for

cr3.jpg

That does look fantastic, but aren't you worried that the vertical books (top shelfs), the weight of the pages will start to fall towards the spine/staples (if that makes any sense).

I think I like the horizontal way (ex. your bottom shelf) best. Allows the comic to lie flat.

even on slabbed books? hm

I was discussing safes with someone last night and here is some of what they told me:

The book was slabbed and then the owner placed it in a Gun Safe. Whatever the chemical they use to make the safes fireproof accelerates rust by like 100 times. Since the staples are so small and thin they rust in a matter of months.

So the guy who had it slabbed the 1st time kept it in a safe and the rust just ate the staples. It had started to spread to the book as well.

why would a gun safe, created to house metal guns, rust the staples of a comic book in months, but not rust a gun? i don't know i guess, but it was my understanding it wasn't any chemical that makes a safe fireproof, but insulation between the inner and outter steel walls.

what might make things rust in a safe is humidity in an enclosed space, but they make inexpesive dehumidifiers to solve that problem.

Possibly hm

cr3.jpg

That does look fantastic, but aren't you worried that the vertical books (top shelfs), the weight of the pages will start to fall towards the spine/staples (if that makes any sense).

I think I like the horizontal way (ex. your bottom shelf) best. Allows the comic to lie flat.

Not really (shrug)

I guess it might be better to just have them all flat like my bottom shelf but thats a HUGE pita. HUGE! Anytime you add a book, its a freaking nightmare to rearrange them all when they are horizontal. Those horizontal piles i do have are all undercopies, doubles or books i've sold that i'm waiting to ship out. If i kept all my regular books that way, A) i wouldnt have enough room and B) everytime i had to add new books, it would drive me freaking nuts rearranging the piles to put the new books in order.

cr3.jpg

That's very nice!