• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Russ Cochran Comic Art Auctions - a 30 years Retrospective
2 2

1,169 posts in this topic

Great stuff Terry...so cool you saved them all these years. I've seen some at (boardie) Cryptkeeper's... he told me he used to send Russ letters from France with bids on certain pages after he got the catalogs.

Most of the time I would e-mail my bids in via letter (from the UK).

If something was particularly important to me, I would phone in on occasion.

Gasp !!!!

The stuff went for peanuts compared to what it sells for today.

Yes, but you also have to take into consideration how the hammer prices related to a person's wage at the time.

The auctions were four times a year. I would be working overtime to beuild up funds for bidding. My budget usually went to around $1,000 spends per auction.

Thanks for doing this!!!! (worship)

You're welcome.

There are a lot of catalogs to scan from, so this is likely to be a long thread . . . and don't forget, I'm only selecting highlights at this moment in time!. If the interest's still there, I can always go back to scan other stuff (I'm currently by-passing).

Great stuff, Terry! Please keep 'em coming. Those Swamp Thing pages and Neal Adams covers are especially heart-wrenching. You and a few other folks I know (Lars) were ahead of your time on those EC stories! Best, Lee

Great stuff, Terry! Please keep 'em coming. Those Swamp Thing pages and Neal Adams covers are especially heart-wrenching. You and a few other folks I know (Lars) were ahead of your time on those EC stories! Best, Lee

Thanks, Lee.

Lars kept most of his stuff, while I moved towards cover examples later on in my collecting years.

The EC story art I had was traded-away or (later on) sold (to help fund last year's expensive house-move). Thankfully, I still have some great EC cover examples remaining that more-than keep me happy. Especially the Craig VAULT and Feldstein WEIRD FANTASY covers. :cloud9:

Unless personal committments get in the way, I intend to update this thread with new images on a daily basis.

Russ Cochran was a class act and, if nothing else, this thread should serve as a testement to his pivotal role in this great hobby. (worship)

Artwork aside, Russ has kept the EC flame alive for new generations of comics-fans to discover.