• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New to the area: Comic shops, used bookstores in Atlanta?

19 posts in this topic

I just moved to Marietta (just north of ATL) and have found a couple of comic shops up here, but plan on venturing into Atlanta to see what else there is. Google wasn't a ton of help in that regard.

For those of you familiar with Atlanta, what shops should I hit and which should I avoid? I like stores with good back issue selections, lots of SA (and hopefully GA, though I'm not confident there will be any). I do peruse new comics too, so if there is a 'best of the best', that would be nice to know too.

Also, it looks like there are next to NO good used bookstores or bookstores that might stock collectible books like Lovecraft or Arkham House titles. Am I just overlooking any? I got spoiled in Tucson where Bookmans was my second home. In MN, I practically lived at Half Price Books. Any stores like that here?

comic book stores to avoid would be teahouse comics in sandy springs and dr nos in Marietta. Oxford comics and great escape for your moderns. also avoid Titan comic books. those three, teahouse, dr nos, and Titan are all trash comic shops. tea house and Titan don't know how to handle a book and both tea house and dr nos overcharge for everything in the store. a great used book store that has both books and golden age and silver age would be book nook. not the one in Marietta, but the one in Druid hills. they have some good and rare :) golden age books. but hurry to book nook, I'm in the process of clearing out their silverage books and modern keys. I'll leave the golden age for you though lol for real though in the past month I probably spent about a 1000 there getting keys and runs but they have quite a few and always get more.

I like them all so I'm not a good judge. I didn't have a problem with Teahouse. The lady was nice and talkative. I haven't been to Oxford or Book Nook in years but back then they were huge and awesome. I like Great Escape and their tpb selection. Titan was ok. I got alot of old Dark Horse there but once I asked for Richie Rich and they only had one comic. I've never been to Galactic Quest but they seem interesting because they have a lot going on. Sometimes I just go to comicshoplocator and go to one I haven't been before to check it out. A new one opened far north called Kapow Comics but it is small.

Anyone familiar with the Atlanta area?

The search button is. :baiting:

Comic Shops in Atlanta, GA?

I am now fully convinced that Blowie is actually a Mentat.

mentat.jpg

You made me Google "Mentat", as I could only stomach the first :20 minutes of Dune.

Also, if I see another person looking for comic shops in either Vegas or London, I am going to :frustrated:

. a great used book store that has both books and golden age and silver age would be book nook. not the one in Marietta, but the one in Druid hills. they have some good and rare :) golden age books. but hurry to book nook, I'm in the process of clearing out their silverage books and modern keys. I'll leave the golden age for you though lol for real though in the past month I probably spent about a 1000 there getting keys and runs but they have quite a few and always get more.

Decatur Book Nook is the place to go. Best used book store in the ATL area. And they have comics, and new releases (though usually just Marvel/DC) and used Trades, and about 12-15 long boxes of $.50 comics to go thru that there is usually at least 1-2 new long boxes of content every few weeks... They also have a big collection of used books, vintage, pulps, etc...

wait why am I telling you this!?!?!

Oh and Oxford is the place to go for the widest range of new release comics on wednesday and every Trade/HC/Statue you could hope to find in a decently sized store. And the people are very nice there.

Just dont start talking politics or jazz at the Book Nook... there are a few guys there with some VEEEERRRRYYYY strong opinions (and long opinions) on both...

You made me Google "Mentat", as I could only stomach the first :20 minutes of Dune.

Oh man, it's classic. It's like one big long music video of awesomeness. Fear of watching Dune is the mind killer.

Sweet, thank you sir!

Has anyone here attended either of those conventions? What can I expect?

I've done both

The Atlanta Comic Convention is loaded with GA and SA

There is more vintage books at this show than all the stores in the Atlanta area combined

Not sure of the next date on that one..............probably in October or November?

Sweet, thank you sir!

Has anyone here attended either of those conventions? What can I expect?

I've done both

The Atlanta Comic Convention is loaded with GA and SA

There is more vintage books at this show than all the stores in the Atlanta area combined

Not sure of the next date on that one..............probably in October or November?

Rick, I think you are right. Should be around that time of year. I hope to see you there,