• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DYNAMIC 8 who's got one?

197 posts in this topic

It is not the first time that Charlie Sultan was "influenced" by Fine.....

Hi jb,

but here it struck me since, while Sultan generally took from Fine's style, this particular splash page looks really like a swipe, while most of Sultan’s works – as far as I have seen – aren’t so "copied" blatantly. :)

. . . And pay no attention to Mr. Sparkle City there, that Dynamic comic is just a terrible looking thing. Not the book your looking for. Move along now.

Really? Have you seen my book some members have generously gushed over? Seems to me if one cracked it and removed the tape it wouldnt be so terrible. Unless there's more to it hm

That Dynamic 8 looks pretty good to me nice cover image ,nice colors,Cheslers covers come off easily for I own some of those.If i didn't own two of them i would be going after that one!

That Dynamic 8 looks pretty good to me nice cover image ,nice colors,Cheslers covers come off easily for I own some of those.If i didn't own two of them i would be going after that one!

2 of them? hm

I think you should consider parting with one of them. :baiting:

Hi jb,

but here it struck me since, while Sultan generally took from Fine's style, this particular splash page looks really like a swipe, while most of Sultan’s works – as far as I have seen – aren’t so "copied" blatantly. :)

That may be true....but some of his stuff is more than just a style adoration....Nice bubbles, don't you think?

I had not noticed this Dollman splash. Also recall that this Sultan splash was redone from Yankee Comics 1........

Check out Wonder 2 and the ape in 'tec Comics 31....

That is why Fine is "an artist's artist"

jb

130270.jpg.cc0b3f5ca31187c88fdcf0d41d627ae9.jpg

130271.jpg.2ff3b2f003daf4efa415c7e69d923957.jpg

. . . And pay no attention to Mr. Sparkle City there, that Dynamic comic is just a terrible looking thing. Not the book your looking for. Move along now.

Really? Have you seen my book some members have generously gushed over? Seems to me if one cracked it and removed the tape it wouldnt be so terrible. Unless there's more to it hm

Yep, was kidding about the Sparkle City book. But jeez, I think it will easily go over $1K at this point. I had to get my copy out and look at it again. Glad I got most of my Cheslers a long time ago. They are not sleepers any more.

Hi jb,

That may be true....but some of his stuff is more than just a style adoration....Nice bubbles, don't you think?

I had not noticed this Dollman splash. Also recall that this Sultan splash was redone from Yankee Comics 1........

Check out Wonder 2 and the ape in 'tec Comics 31....

That is why Fine is "an artist's artist"

jb

Hi jb,

I think that’s what I was trying to say, but maybe did not make myself clear. When I identified Sultan’s art as his (previously I did not know who he was) and already started to be familar with Fine's, I thought Sultan – although heavily influenced by him – had his originality nonetheless.

Because of course it‘s never a mere matter of influence, each one of us is influenced by others, but of how you make all the elements work in a whole that has an originality of its own.

For example, the cover of Great Comics #3 – and I really wish that book won’t have such a cult following because it’s become really too expensive for me, I wished to have a copy – is undoubtedly Sultan’s in his own merits. So are many panels of the story.

It‘s precisely for those reasons that when I saw the Doll Man splash page I was a little disappointed because – at least in the puppeteer's head and pose – the Sultan’s Yankee Doodle Jones page looks straightforwardly copied, but with somewhat disappointing results, from it.

The Scoop Comics instead, is another good example of an autonomous originality already achieved by Sultan. :)

However, many of these Chesler books are great; I’d love to have the Yankee Doodle Jones stories, but in most cases they are really too expensive, and people tend to collect them mostly for the cool covers.

Yep, was kidding about the Sparkle City book. But jeez, I think it will easily go over $1K at this point. I had to get my copy out and look at it again. Glad I got most of my Cheslers a long time ago. They are not sleepers any more.

Yeah, you had me there. I'm surprised I usually can pick on when someone's joshing. lol

I threw a thrill bid on the book early on. Looking at it, it's an improvement on what I got but I think it's going way high. It's already near $700 last I looked. I think I'm going to have to be happy watching this one from the cheap seats :popcorn:

If that's the case, and it probably is then doh!

I'm sure he meant you to see through that one.

He hasn't fessed up to how many copies he has - but I'm guessing there is always room for another!

I have you Mike, to thank for the copy I have. I was pretty shocked when I was able to get that one. Lucky I guess. I love artist's books like this. I was floored when I realized there was a story with Tuska art inside :angel:

If that's the case, and it probably is then doh!

I'm sure he meant you to see through that one.

He hasn't fessed up to how many copies he has - but I'm guessing there is always room for another!

I have you Mike, to thank for the copy I have. I was pretty shocked when I was able to get that one. Lucky I guess. I love artist's books like this. I was floored when I realized there was a story with Tuska art inside :angel:

Well, lucky in the sense that I would have kept it if it had been just a tad nicer! Glad it found a good home!

Is this the first true horror cover?