• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing 678 Mary Jane variant....
2 2

1,475 posts in this topic

The book has traded privately in 9.8 between $3100 and $4000 all year. So $7500 is obviously a reach (though it still looks to be amassing its fair share of views and watchers even at that price).

-J.

Because people want to know if someone

is dumb enough to get stuck with a hot potato.

The book has traded privately in 9.8 between $3100 and $4000 all year. So $7500 is obviously a reach (though it still looks to be amassing its fair share of views and watchers even at that price).

-J.

I refer you to "Page 1" of this thread to be reminded what the other wrong people have said before you. (And to see how well the guy who paid $1000 for one four years ago would have done today if he kept his copy.) lol

-J.

-J.

I refer you to "Page 1" of this thread to be reminded what the other wrong people have said before you. (And to see how well the guy who paid $1000 for one four years ago would have done today if he kept his copy.) lol

-J.

Totally agree - that was a 'ground floor' or 'close' discussion. This isn't that discussion any longer.

-J.

-J.

What goes up... ( and in this case ) will go down.

Maybe not tomorrow or the next year but gimmicky variants

fade as there isn't a large enough pool of interested buyers to sustain

this.

The only ones left clinging to these unrealistic values will be the

people left holding the hot potato that place unrealistic asking prices

on them because they mistakenly invested money into it.

These books are not long term blue chip. They are flash in the pan.

You naysayers are going to be asked to leave this thread.

:whistle:

What's wrong with a healthy discussion? :shrug:

As long as no one is being needlessly antagonistic I don't see the problem, I mean, the topic is certainly .... topical. This is a thread about a specific book, and people are talking about the price.

-J.

-J.

Totally agree - that was a 'ground floor' or 'close' discussion. This isn't that discussion any longer.

Really ? Because the conversation looks very similar to me , with some people crying about that sales price even then (kind of like how they cried about the Bats 608RRP 12 years ago).

Except now, the book is nearly five years old and famous, having been homaged at least three times , reprinted and turned into a poster. It also doesn't hurt that Venom is a hot character (again) right now, and the book itself was a rare 1:50 when ASM was in a low sales period. Oh and that dark brown cover only yielding 29, 9.8's (just 21 blue) out of 123 submissions is probably a factor too. Now that I think about it, $7500 might be a bargain. :o;)

-J.

-J.

-J.

Really ? Because the conversation looks very similar to me , with some people crying about that sales price even then (kind of like how they cried about the Bats 608RRP 12 years ago).

Except now, the book is nearly five years old and famous, having been homaged at least three times , reprinted and turned into a poster. It also doesn't hurt that Venom is a hot character (again) right now, and the book itself was a 1:50 when ASM was in a low sales period. Oh and that dark brown cover only yielding 29, 9.8's (just 21 blue) out of 123 submissions is probably a factor too. Now that I think about it, $7500 might be a bargain. :o;)

-J.

Put your money where your mouth is - buy it :)

-J.

-J.

Except now, the book is nearly five years old and famous, having been homaged at least three times , reprinted and turned into a poster. It also doesn't hurt that Venom is a hot character (again) right now, and the book itself was a rare 1:50 when ASM was in a low sales period. Oh and that dark brown cover only yielding 29, 9.8's (just 21 blue) out of 123 submissions is probably a factor too. Now that I think about it, $7500 might be a bargain. :o;)

-J.

Put your money where your mouth is - buy it :)

lol After a fiasco with an X men 12 (Juggernaut) I vowed to never purchase more than one copy of a book ever again.

-J.

-J.

-J.

-J.

The bolded part will be a likely factor to help this issue lose steam

as many collectors are satisfied with just that.

Pump it all you like because you may be vested in it

but I wouldn't want to be part of the small group

of like-minded people as yourself who will grow bored

passing it around to each and move onto

the next shiny object, scrambling for a chair once the music stops.

-J.

-J.

-J.

Actually , that probably only helps stoke demand as many, if not most collectors like to have the original or first print of something. Those reprints and homages are merely a reflection of the book's fame not a replacement for it.

And I don't care what the book is "worth", I have one copy that I acquired many years ago and I have never sold or traded any comic book in my life. But this is essentially an appreciation thread for the book, so if you don't like the book or what it sells for, or talking about it, no one is forcing you to read the thread or to participate. (thumbs u

-J.

-J.

-J.

Actually , that probably only helps stoke demand as many, if not most collectors like to have the original or first print of something. Those reprints and homages are merely a reflection of the book's fame not a replacement for it.

And I don't care what the book is "worth", I have one copy that I acquired many years ago and I have never sold or traded any comic book in my life. But this is essentially an appreciation thread for the book, so if you don't like the book or what it sells for, or talking about it, no one is forcing you to read the thread or to participate. (thumbs u

Have to show two sides of the coin.

Not a fan of the "pumping for profits" mentality this place takes on.

Anyways, I'm done... I hope people do have common sense when it comes

to "investing" in comics.

-J.

-J.

-J.

I have no idea what may or may not spike or lag demand.

My opinion is that, in general, homage covers tend to make the original one more well known (assuming it gets to a place where they even recognize it for a homage), so I don't know about that.

My entire examination on this, and why I think some of the prices have been crazy, is because no one can ever give any real logical explanation. When a 'hot modern' hits $200 or $300, sure, why not? When a variant edition pushes upwards of $1000 or $2000... some of them are flashes in the pan, some of them aren't, this has always been a hobby where people have money to throw around.

But when we start seeing $3000 and $4000 sell prices, we have to start comparing the book in question to other proven blue chips, rationality demands it, at least of me. That's where all of this starts to fall apart for me, where I don't just shrug my shoulders and assume people are buying what they enjoy.

I guess my question to the people that seem to back this at any price...is that true? If this book were selling for $10k tomorrow, would any of you blink?

It's an interesting topic to me, almost regardless of the actual book.

(shrug)

I've blinked my eyes at what many books have sold for, in every Age. Without getting into specifics, let's just say that some books just catch fire and don't look back. If you were ever able to figure out "why this book" or "why that book" you would probably be better served playing the stock market instead of buying comic books.

But Is this one of those books?

For the last five years, yes.

Is this the norm?

No.

The book is an outlier among just a handful of others that have done this.

Can it continue ?

For clues, see the 12 year old Bats 608RRP thread.

-J.

So if it were $10k tomorrow you'd shrug and move on without questioning it? I always try to find some sliver of rationality in it.

I personally just dislike the "You can't predict it / It's a cool cover and it's rare" game as, being the two most common answers, they seem antithetical.

I guess we'll all see where it goes given enough time.

"It's cool and it's rare".

This may be the most primal explanation of "value" of nearly any collectible.

Another one might be "it will look good in my man-cave/garage".

Like any other rare discretionary or luxury purchase item with a lot of notoriety it's a trophy piece.

-J.

"It's cool and it's rare".

This may be the most primal explanation of "value" of nearly any collectible.

Another one might be "it will look good in my man-cave/garage".

Like any other discretionary or luxury purchase with a lot of notoriety it's a trophy piece.

-J.

followed closely by "I'm a completionist, and I have to have this, regardless of price, or else my head will explode from OCD"

"You people are nuts" when it hit $500, $1K, $2K, $2500, $3600, $4K..we'll be hearing that with new high sales numbers for years yet

I checked the serial number of the copy on ebay and it was graded 6/16/2016. Is that before or after they fixed the issues with the new case? I thought I heard something like 6/23 was the end of the disaster cases