• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing 678 Mary Jane variant....
2 2

1,475 posts in this topic

37 minutes ago, spidey78 said:

We had the deal negotiated in under 12 hours. I waited to pull it down until all money was sent. Fees are outrageous selling a book on eBay like this. It made sense to make the deal outside of eBay for both parties. Just sucks that it won't hit GPA :) I'll miss the book but I decided to get it of the collecting hobby. I've been holding an entire asm run including all variants and now it's time to move on to other hobbies. Next up is my asm 688 JSC cgc 9.8 yellow....

As far as the buyer, we spoke on the phone and I don't believe he is a boardie here. 

Very nice man.  And yes I think everybody gets why you'd rather take it off ebay.Looks like that last sale of a 9.8 of $3500 back in Dec. '15 Will have to remain the most "recent" sale for awhile longer.  

It does sound like you have a lot of the biggie ASM variants.  (worship)

Does this include the Dell'otto 667 by any chance ? :baiting:

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

1 hour ago, SquareChaos said:

You know if eBay wanted, they could easily trace this behavior back to your account with such a relatively singular item and a solid time table - especially if you guys used PayPal. Just saying.

I was thinking the same thing. You really should remain stealth on such transactions. No need to tell us all the details.

16 hours ago, spidey78 said:

Fees are outrageous selling a book on eBay like this. It made sense to make the deal outside of eBay for both parties. 

But free advertising is priceless.

And it made sense for 2/3rds of those involved , unfortunately the third party in the transaction, eBay, got completely screwed.

14 minutes ago, Hado said:

And it made sense for 2/3rds of those involved , unfortunately the third party in the transaction, eBay, got completely screwed.

Right, if this board was not around is there another place where you could say you felt comfortable selling a $1k+ book other than a show?

2 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Right, if this board was not around is there another place where you could say you felt comfortable selling a $1k+ book other than a show?

I'm a little unclear as to what your saying here ygogolak.

Could you clarify? 

19 minutes ago, Hado said:

I'm a little unclear as to what your saying here ygogolak.

Could you clarify? 

You pay eBay fees because of the eye traffic and seller protection (while sometimes not the best).

I've seen a lot of upset and disgruntled parties with the emergence of Facebook selling groups and the like.

22 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

You pay eBay fees because of the eye traffic and seller protection (while sometimes not the best).

I've seen a lot of upset and disgruntled parties with the emergence of Facebook selling groups and the like.

Ok, that's what I thought you meant, but I was unsure, thank you. :foryou:

And as to your question, no.

I don't think I'd be comfortable selling a book for that price anywhere other than here or eBay.

Did I just stumble into an eBay stockholders meeting lol ?

I thought this was a pretty good price for a NM-ish looking copy last week, especially since the seller refused to even ballpark a grade in his listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spider-Man-678-US-Variant-Mary-Jane-Venom-1st-print-Rare-Spider-Man-/122369517291?hash=item1c7dcaa6eb%3Ag%3AXdoAAOSwB-1YpkTU&nma=true&si=iFZRySQ5y%2FIXXG0HfR%2Fz791DLhQ%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

On 3/6/2017 at 10:01 PM, Lethal_Collector said:

I got a 'shame on you' email from ebay like 6 months ago and am glad I got all my big ticket books bought outside of ebay already :banana:

Jerome

Interesting, do you still have it?

On 3/7/2017 at 11:44 AM, Hado said:

You could always call eBay and tell on him. I know at least one other "person" that's done it.