• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGX Question

240 posts in this topic

Am I right in saying that their grading of current modern books are pretty tight. I know they're not a reputable company but that's a fact isn't it?

No. Their 9.9s are CGC 9.6s.

That's a generalization....Their 9.6's are often CGC 9.8's too and most 9.8's are on par with CGC.

No, they are not.

Yes, actually they are. Go back and read the thread I linked to. There more upgrades posted up than downgrades. I've sent many books to both companies and I've crossed graded a fair number of books. Maybe 20 (cross grades) so far this year.

I cannot offer an informed opinion or restoration detection as I don't get restored books graded by either company. Restored books actually sell better raw. But at the high end of grading (say 9.2 up) I have found PGX to be very much on par with CGC. Mid and low grades vary more. But that is most likely because the two companies treat different defects differently. At the 9.2 and above level there are not that many defects allowed to be treated differently.

Have you ever considered that when a 9.8 PGX book looks like a 9.4, it's most likely not going to end resubbed to CGC? And will therefore not end up in a thread like the one you linked to previously?

PGX gives out 9.9s and 10.0s like they're going out of business.

They have zero restoration detection skills.

They carry no insurance whilst the books are in their possession.

They give Signature Series labels to books signed by creators that died prior to their company being formed.

And their head "grader" slabs his own books and sells them on eBay.

The fact that you're on CGC's message board and feel the urge to stand up for PGX and their fraudulent business ethics is mind-blowingly ridiculous :screwy:

The resto check is a pretty big deal for the reasons I state above. If you were a shady cat and had a book that you "suspected" was restored, where would you send it? The examples that I have seen personally were flagrant large spots of amateur color touch clearly visible to even a novice.

Am I right in saying that their grading of current modern books are pretty tight. I know they're not a reputable company but that's a fact isn't it?

That's a generalization....Their 9.6's are often CGC 9.8's too and most 9.8's are on par with CGC.

No, they are not.

Yes, actually they are. Go back and read the thread I linked to. There more upgrades posted up than downgrades. I've sent many books to both companies and I've crossed graded a fair number of books. Maybe 20 (cross grades) so far this year.

I cannot offer an informed opinion or restoration detection as I don't get restored books graded by either company. Restored books actually sell better raw. But at the high end of grading (say 9.2 up) I have found PGX to be very much on par with CGC. Mid and low grades vary more. But that is most likely because the two companies treat different defects differently. At the 9.2 and above level there are not that many defects allowed to be treated differently.

Have you ever considered that when a 9.8 PGX book looks like a 9.4, it's most likely not going to end resubbed to CGC? And will therefore not end up in a thread like the one you linked to previously?

They give Signature Series labels to books signed by creators that died prior to their company being formed.

The fact that you're on CGC's message board and feel the urge to stand up for PGX and their fraudulent business ethics is mind-blowingly ridiculous :screwy:

I'm not standing up for anyone's fraudulent business practices. You cut off the part of my post where I called PGX out for allowing employees to buy and sell PGX graded books. I said it was wrong.

I've only stated facts as I have experienced them and I linked to a previous discussion where lots of other boardies shared their own personal experiences - good and bad. . The problem on this board is that unless you act like a rabid dog when PGX's name comes up you are labeled as defending them.

BTW, I believe a couple of the Sports card grading companies certify signatures based on expert opinion and known examples - or documenting evidence.

I'm not suggesting anyone at CGC or PGX has expert opinion on signatures. But I've seen threads here where boardies have noted that they have a picture of them with the creator when the book was signed, they have letters certifying the signature from the signer - and are disappointed that CGC will not certify the signature.

Essentially Jack Kirby never gets a SS book because he died long before CGC came along. I'm sure there are people that are probably qualified to authenticate his signature and lots of collectors have photos of them and Jack posed together with signed book in hand.

I mean really - GLOD for books where a limited edition were signed and the collector has the COA?

There you go posting facts again! (tsk)

don't you know the PGX apologists will just say that this information is biased against PGX :eyeroll:

That is one of those things that makes you pause.

Haven't we seen similar things with CGC though? There was that incident of the wrong label on here. I've heard of books just being mislabeled. There are people who resubmit the same book to have them get knocked for restoration the third time around.

I'm not saying buy a bunch of PGX books- especially if they are silver age comics. But if you are getting a modern book worth 30 bucks I'd imagine if you crack and send to CGC it will come back in the same ball park. I would save myself the time and buy it in a CGC holder though...

No, they are not.

He wasn't defending PGX at all, in fact he stated the opposite. Ask a lot of people around here and they'll tell you the same - PGX and CGC Both are currently very similar with grading at the high end. PGX often grades tightly. It's a fact that has been proven. Just because that is true it doesn't mean you are defending their business practices.

No - one on this thread has done that...

My three experiences with PGX:

Captain Marvel Jr. 115 (PGX 3.5) - It's currently cracked out and raw and I'd say a 2.5.

Strange Tales 110 (PGX 4.5) - Cracked out and resubbed to CGC... came back as a CGC 4.5

Amazing Spiderman 6 (PGX 4.5) - Cracked out and resubbed to CGC... came back as a CGC 3.0

I'd say avoid them if you're not into gambling. :)

What about books you just want to get put in a holder for storage reasons?

Not expensive books, lets say, I want to buy 'Transmetropolitan #1' as I really loved the book (which I actually do!) but wanted to keep a nice copy somewhere as a 'reminder' when I see it to go dig out a reader and enjoy the story again?

Is that going to harm?

Theres no value financially but I certainly collect #1's of stories I love as a 'library' to remind me periodically to go read them again.

DMZ and Lucifer would be 2 good examples.

No financial worth but wonderful stories.

At $10 ish would it not be ok to get it slabbed?

Seriously after an opinion not a fight!! :foryou:

What about books you just want to get put in a holder for storage reasons?

Not expensive books, lets say, I want to buy 'Transmetropolitan #1' as I really loved the book (which I actually do!) but wanted to keep a nice copy somewhere as a 'reminder' when I see it to go dig out a reader and enjoy the story again?

Is that going to harm?

Theres no value financially but I certainly collect #1's of stories I love as a 'library' to remind me periodically to go read them again.

DMZ and Lucifer would be 2 good examples.

No financial worth but wonderful stories.

At $10 ish would it not be ok to get it slabbed?

Seriously after an opinion not a fight!! :foryou:

I think with the criteria you outline considering the "other place" makes perfect sense.

I might suggest though you also look around to see if you can find those books already slabbed and for sale. Sometimes you can inexpensive books already slabbed and pay no more, sometimes less, than slabbing them yourself. Sometimes. Not always, not even most of the time. But it's worth checking around.

My three experiences with PGX:

Captain Marvel Jr. 115 (PGX 3.5) - It's currently cracked out and raw and I'd say a 2.5.

Strange Tales 110 (PGX 4.5) - Cracked out and resubbed to CGC... came back as a CGC 4.5

Amazing Spiderman 6 (PGX 4.5) - Cracked out and resubbed to CGC... came back as a CGC 3.0

I'd say avoid them if you're not into gambling. :)

At the further risk of being called a defender or apologist for PGX, these are lower grade books. If a consensus exists - and I realize that is a big if - it is that PGX's grading at the lower end is "variable". It is the higher grades (say 9.2 and above) where some of us have expressed the opinion they are more comparable to CGC grading.

No, they are not.

I'm not standing up for anyone's fraudulent business practices. You cut off the part of my post where I called PGX out for allowing employees to buy and sell PGX graded books. I said it was wrong.

I've only stated facts as I have experienced them and I linked to a previous discussion where lots of other boardies shared their own personal experiences - good and bad. . The problem on this board is that unless you act like a rabid dog when PGX's name comes up you are labeled as defending them.

BTW, I believe a couple of the Sports card grading companies certify signatures based on expert opinion and known examples - or documenting evidence.

I'm not suggesting anyone at CGC or PGX has expert opinion on signatures. But I've seen threads here where boardies have noted that they have a picture of them with the creator when the book was signed, they have letters certifying the signature from the signer - and are disappointed that CGC will not certify the signature.

Essentially Jack Kirby never gets a SS book because he died long before CGC came along. I'm sure there are people that are probably qualified to authenticate his signature and lots of collectors have photos of them and Jack posed together with signed book in hand.

I mean really - GLOD for books where a limited edition were signed and the collector has the COA?

What an absolute load of toss.

By pretending that PGX is somehow even in the same ballpark as CGC, you are, in fact, defending a company that's by every definition of the word a total scam - a company that preys on people who are too ignorant to know better.

I mean, what will it take for you to realize this? You don't seem to care about their non-existent restoration detection skills, the after-the-fact verification of the signatures of dead creators (with no mention that PGX didn't actually witness the signing) or their subpar grading skills. Even the ludicrously unethical practice of the main grader selling slabbed books he himself graded & encapsulated is brushed off with no more than a "that is unwise".

The only reason anyone would ever send books to PGX is if they have something to hide - that's it.

No, they are not.

He wasn't defending PGX at all, in fact he stated the opposite. Ask a lot of people around here and they'll tell you the same - PGX and CGC Both are currently very similar with grading at the high end. PGX often grades tightly. It's a fact that has been proven. Just because that is true it doesn't mean you are defending their business practices.

He just told the OP that sending his books to the "other place" makes perfect sense :lol:

PGX doesn't grade tighter - they just can't grade. There's a difference :gossip:

No, they are not.

He just told the OP that sending his books to the "other place" makes perfect sense :lol:

PGX doesn't grade tighter - they just can't grade. There's a difference :gossip:

No he didn't he was answering a question I posed.

Bit passive/aggressive today Scmiddy? (shrug)

Carry On.

Wow im kind of sorry I asked! lol

The books I am looking to buy are mid to lower grade golden age DC.

Ya never know where these threads will go... rantrant

Reading this thread and the one I linked too - it appears you'd be wise to inspect the sort of books you speak of closely before laying down your cash.

I do not collect or deal much in GA. My one personal PGX experience has been I purchased a Superman 61 PGX graded 8.0. Had it pressed and sent to CGC where it got an 8.0. Still have the book because I do like owning a couple of GA books and this particular book is still overlooked. The pressing did not improve the appearance but a little so it might have gotten an 8.0 without a press - we'll never know.

While you cannot thumb through the interior pages of slabbed books, I maintain you should still look them over carefully. Get yourself a good magnifying glass and look the books over well. Tilt them around so you get different reflections. Peer through the edges to see the spine and corners. Hopefully you own some similar era and grade CGC books. Use those as a guide to how the ones you are interested in compare.

If you are purchasing via mail or internet, pass unless there is a return period.

Just my advice.

No, they are not.

Carry On.

My bad - he told you that it made perfect sense to send your books to PGX. I can see how that changes everything :ohnoez:

No, they are not.

Carry On.

My bad - he told you that it made perfect sense to send your books to PGX. I can see how that changes everything :ohnoez:

Really bro you need to calm down. You delete out parts of my posts that you quote where I criticize PGX to make it look like I defend them. You mis-state that I told the OP to send books to PGX. The OP was not asking about sending books - he was looking at buying books graded by PGX

Andy70 asked about sending books to PGX and essentially says that he just wants very inexpensive books slabbed for his personal collection for sentimental reasons. $10 or less in value items. If you are not interested in resale but want a few books encapsulated for sentimental and/or protection purposes why wouldn't you think about getting it done much cheaper and faster?

Personally - I have always wished that CGC or PGX or someone else would offer an "encapsulation only" service. I have childhood memory type books that I don't need a grading service to tell me that they are pretty beat up and well read. With my name on the cover. But it would be worthwhile to me to get them slabbed so they don't get any worse. Freed from needing to grade and check for restoration, this could be a much quicker and less expensive service.

BTW - addressing something else you said earlier - and showing in this post. PGX's website says books are fully insured while at the PGX facility and when shipped back.

Really - lets be civil. I'm not ridiculing you for your opinions.

Carry On.

Really bro you need to calm down. You delete out parts of my posts that you quote where I criticize PGX to make it look like I defend them. You mis-state that I told the OP to send books to PGX. The OP was not asking about sending books - he was looking at buying books graded by PGX

Andy70 asked about sending books to PGX and essentially says that he just wants very inexpensive books slabbed for his personal collection for sentimental reasons. $10 or less in value items. If you are not interested in resale but want a few books encapsulated for sentimental and/or protection purposes why wouldn't you think about getting it done much cheaper and faster?

Personally - I have always wished that CGC or PGX or someone else would offer an "encapsulation only" service. I have childhood memory type books that I don't need a grading service to tell me that they are pretty beat up and well read. With my name on the cover. But it would be worthwhile to me to get them slabbed so they don't get any worse. Freed from needing to grade and check for restoration, this could be a much quicker and less expensive service.

BTW - addressing something else you said earlier - and showing in this post. PGX's website says books are fully insured while at the PGX facility and when shipped back.

Really - lets be civil. I'm not ridiculing you for your opinions.

I'm perfectly calm, thank you.

How many times do I need to say this, though?

PGX is a scam. They don't have a "facility", they have a garage. Their head grader sells books he slabbed himself on ebay. Their grading & restoration detection skills are a joke.

That's it.

This is not something that's up for discussion - it's not an opinion - it's a fact.

You seem to be bending over backwards to find ways of legitimizing sending books their way and, to be honest, it's getting a bit tiresome. It's like that that that keeps them in business when the industry as a whole would be much better off with them being run out of town like the crooks they are.