• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newstand or Direct? What's your flavor?

Newsstand or Direct?   

189 members have voted

1. 1. Newsstand or Direct?

36 posts in this topic

I can't be the only one who, when holding two otherwise-identical copies of ASM #328 in their hands, chooses the direct-edition (with the cool art) in the rectangle over the boring UPC code, right?

*I only ask because I just saw someone paying $15 for only newstand editions of Spawn. I didn't understand.

If you love the UPC, please tell me why?

330805806224_1_0_1.jpg ~or~ 261107938366_1_0_1.jpg

I don't like the newstand editions as it reminds me of grocery stores. I can see why collectors like the UPC version though. I assume print runs are smaller and harder to find in NM condition since they are beat up at local grocery etc stores.

Apollo is correct.

UPCs tend to be more "handled" overall, making them harder to track down in better shape. Also, remember whos buying the Direct versions for the most part, collectors ...who have an eye on "value" and tend(ed) to handle their books with "kid gloves"

I like the newsstand because they remind me of a time when comics roamed free in the wild before they were all captured and confined to comic book stores.

Likewise - I remember buying quite a few keys on the spinner rack (Secret Wars 1 and 8, GI Joe 1 and 21, etc) and reading them until they fell apart.

As we witness less and less of this, I could see these versions garnering more attention. Maybe even a variant-like status, which some are already being sought for.

I like the look of the direct editions better. I find the UPC code to 'clutter' up the art on the page. However it wouldn't make a difference to me in an auction as far as price is concerned. Sometimes beggers can't be choosers, but if I had the choice and they were side by side I would go for the direct 10 times out of 10...

The only era I care one way or another about is mid-80's Marvel, when the direct editions also had the Marvel "M" in the corner box with a much larger font for the issue number and price than the newsstand editions. The bigger numbers just look so much better, I will always pick the direct edition from this era over the newsstand.

Good:

Thor351.jpg

Not as good:

detail.jpg

I like the look of the direct editions better. I find the UPC code to 'clutter' up the art on the page. However it wouldn't make a difference to me in an auction as far as price is concerned. Sometimes beggers can't be choosers, but if I had the choice and they were side by side I would go for the direct 10 times out of 10...

My thoughts exactly....

I used to prefer the direct version due to the cleaner look or art of the UPC box. Several years ago I started to appreciate the newsstand versions more, maybe for nostalgic reasons. All else being equal, I'll take the newsstand copy first.