• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Classics Illustrated - Where the heck is that HRN #????

23 posts in this topic

Ok,

Over the past few months I've somehow managed to gather about 30 CI's from various sources. Most of them are obviously well-into their 15th or 16th printing (painted covers, semi-accurate later dates, etc..).

A few though, could be early reprintings (judging by the line-art covers, etc..) So, I go to search for this HRN # (supposedly located on the back cover of most books) to no avail. To date, I haven't found a single HRN number on any of my books - anywhere. Since I doubt that I've managed to purchase 30 books with the same printing error, I would like some guidance in the form of pictures.

I found a great site with lots of info on CI books (classicscentral.com) but can't seem to find any visual references to this identifying number. So, I'm coming here hoping someone will show me a few examples.

I've got a #1 (Three Musketeers) with a line drawn cover, but a 15-cent price. I know it's not a first print, or even 2nd - but I would like to know which one.

There's a list of previous issues at the back of each. The HRN is simply the highest number in that list.

Let's say you have Ivanhoe (Book #2) and the list on the back goes up to 136. Lord Jim,

then you have Ivanhoe #2, HRN 136. i.e. this book.

Edited by AJD

Exactly...

HRN= Highest Reorder Number (I believe)

So whatever the last book listed on the BC is... the number that corresponds to that book is the HRN number for the issue you hold in your hand.

AJD's example is perfect. :)

If you have a first edition, there is an ad for the next issue. No ad means it's a reprint. (Careful, though, a few reprints have ads.) Then you look at the HRN to gauge how late a reprint it is. But there are a lot of complications if you get into it. Overstreet has a good overview, written by Dan Malan. Key point is that the date usually means nothing. Later reprints often kept the original publication date.

Thanks for the clarification. I was looking for something like "HRN# 136" printed somewhere.

Now, I'm aware of the 10-cent/Preview ad for originals (of which I only have one). It's the early reprints I'm looking out for in my collection.

I'll go check now and see were my #1 stands.

(oh how I wish it had 10-cents on the cover, it would have been the ultimate $4 find!)

These are actually fun books to collect. I have always enjoyed reading them as well as the nuances of understanding the editions. They don't get as much respect as they deserve; just like the real classics! Over the last few years I have picked up some interesting "Classic Comics," as opposed to "Classics Illustrated." The earlier books are a bit more raw and I think a little more edgy. Some of the early covers are fantastic.

My most recent purchase is below for only $50 from Comic Link. Prices on these are always very affordable.

When I was a kid I picked up original editions of A Christmas Carol and Man in the Iron Mask at a bookstand in a flea market for a dime each. It is surprising but A Christmas Carol only had one printing which doesn't seem to make sense.

131126.jpg.0c503c858148a1167497d390a2cb51f7.jpg

I remember well over 20 years ago when I got my first Overstreet Price Guide, I read the whole section on Classics Illustrated which was kind of fascinating. I saw this as a whole subset of comics collecting that I had previously been unaware. It was years before I saw any Classics Illustrated, but at least when I did I understood roughly that the indicia date had little bearing on the actual age of the comic.

These are very interesting with a huge collecting base. Some very good artists got there start with classics and the stories are decent summarys of the books. However, there are many many copies of these out there. Unlike "regular" comics, these would tend to get saved more often almost like readers digests instead of thrown out. It makes those first 20 issues with HRN 20 and below pretty tough as well as those few that weren't reprinted the only real challenge. Then there are all the foreign versions etc which are highly collectible for the classics completionists.

I also think there was a factory or distribution find of the HRN 167 and/or 169 so those are very common, especially certain issues.

I actually collected Classics actively in the early 2000's. I was buying lots on ebay for a song. I like better grades, but I am more of a completist . I loved the covers, the stories as well as the whole numbering system.( I am an Actuary after-all) As i was buying lots I was upgrading and trying to get as many first printings as I could. I also kept for my collection many 2nd or later printings as long as there was something different I think I have close to 400 different different editions in my semi permanent collection. I used to have about that many extras for trade/sale. Over the years i have reduced the inventory to maybe 150 still including many Classic Comics". While they may not have great value, they usually retain their value, especially in trades.

While collecting those I added the Classics JR's and then the Fast Fiction/ famous Authors ( those are a bit more expensive). and finally the WAU's.

I stopped actively collecting Classics maybe 7 years ago when I got fed up with ebay and stopped buying.somics for a while. When I restarted years later I decided that it would be more interesting and challenging to go after the Four Color series rather than a copy of each edition /HRN combination.

One of my Favorite Classics. First edition of number 8 HRN7.

CC8HRN7.jpg

I haven't researched this but I know that at least some of the cover art changed from the original editions to later ones. My #8, has an HRN of 164.

CLASSIC_8.jpg

A lot of the earlier issues also had the interior art redone.

Two books I would recommend for anyone interested in CI's are The Complete Guide to Classics Illustrated by Malan and Classics Illustrated: A Cultural History by Jones. (Thanks Scrooge).

The Malan book is great for the comic collecting aspect of CI's while the Jones book is great for its history of the artists and publisher.

I don't think I would have looked twice at a CI had I come across one at a convention...but...getting a pile is different. You can't help but admire them and what they were to the kids who read them throughout the 50's and 60's. . Very cool and I can't help but look for them now everywhere I go. Don't know if I'll ever want to "collect them all", but I'll be on every 10-center I come across.

On a side note, they seem to be made of cheaper paper than other comics of the same age. Often very brittle, especially the covers - even on books of a higher grade. Anyone else think this?

One of my Favorite Classics. First edition of number 8 HRN7.

CC8HRN7.jpg

Here's my copy of the later pubes-less (or should that be pubes-free?) version - Can't recall the HRN on it.

Ci8-ArabianNights.jpg

Given that it looks completely redrawn, I wonder why they didn't change the lady on the left's hands. She is no longer holding the title and seems to be waving in the air :shrug:

I've only got a couple issues from the Classic Comics era, but both are (O):

CCFrankenstein.jpg

A book with obvious crossover appeal, and one of the earliest horror comics.

CCLornaDoone.jpg

One that's not as obviously appealing to the average reader but that I think is dramatically underrated. Why? 50+pages of Matt Baker artwork, 6 of which were not in any printing other than the 1st!

Just checked my CLASSIC COMIC #13 "Dr. Jekyll and

Mr. Hyde". Inside the back cover the list runs to #15

"Uncle Tom's Cabin". The back cover shows the Gift

Boxes for 50 cents each, postage included, with 5 books

in a box, #'s 1 through 15. I bought my copy off the newsstand

in 1943 or 1944...still in pretty good shape.

mm