• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic book art you just don't like.

423 posts in this topic

I'm pretty sure there was a Favorite Artist thread not too long ago. If search actually worked for me I would find it.

How to use the search function.

Cool, thanks. I found it.

Wicked!

That's even better than finding shapes in clouds!

Guys whose artwork I just don't 'get':

-Frank Frazetta

Y U NO LIKE ART

frank_frazetta_wolfmoon.jpg

fantasy_artist_frank_frazetta_lostcity.jpg

frank-frazetta-luanaii.jpg

Guys whose artwork I just don't 'get':

-Jack Kirby

-Alex Toth

-Frank Frazetta

Guys whose artwork nobody should get:

-Erik Larsen

That's an interesting group. I don't "Love" everything Kirby ever did. And honestly, other people drew characters he created better. For instance, Schomburg on Cap, but his action sequences are amazing to me.

Toth was run of the mill for me, but I don't hate it.

I can't fathom what you don't like about Frazetta. To me, he's the Master. Love his stuff.

Larsen's early work struck me as amateurish, but to me, he did improve. Not to the point I love it by any means, but it's tolerable.

Never said I don't like Kirby, Toth, Frazetta. What I said was I don't 'get' their art. It doesn't 'speak' to me the way others hype their work and I don't frown upon it, I just don't appreciate it.

The whole cartoony and manga styles. I respect the artists that do it and their talent, I just don't like their style. A couple of exceptions would be Bill Morrison, although I don't know if his style is cartoony or if the just draws cartoons. Don Rosa is another exception. The work and the detail that go into his books is astounding.

John Romita, Jr. is okay but used to be so much better. I still some of his stuff, but it's rare. I liked Kick- but not X-Men. I liked Daredevil: Man Without Fear but didn't like his run on Daredevil, particularly by the end of it.

J. Scott Campbell's style doesn't work for me. It just leans too far toward that manga style, I guess.

I love painted comics! Sienkiewicz was (and is) one of my all-time favorite artists. Elektra Assasin and Moby were awesome. I loved the switch to an original style. As the father of the Graphic Novel, think about what wouldn't have happened if he hadn't stepped out....

I remember one drawing of his, of the Kingpin. A buddy of mine described it as "a body the size of Rhode Island and a head the size of a baseball."

I'll admit that his change in style from an Adams clone was dramatic and unique, but aesthetically it's like fingernails on the chalkboard.

This?

tumblr_mbhmfpqBJd1qzoglfo1_500.jpg

(worship):luhv:(worship):luhv:(worship):luhv:(worship):luhv:(worship):luhv:(worship):luhv:(worship):luhv:(worship):luhv:(worship):luhv:(worship):luhv:

I actually think this is cool

This is the Marvel Value Stamp he did for me. It never clicked just how similar these are until just now.

131298.jpg.c13340641882c67364f14e9bfbf52af8.jpg

I love how BS pushed the envelope for comics art in the early 80's.

Miller and he are in no small part responsible for the wide variety of artwork that we have today. They opened the door in a huge way.

Don Rosa is another exception. The work and the detail that go into his books is astounding.

Don Rosa is awesome. I ordered the collections of his 70s non-Duck work just to admire the art. If anyone else ordered these books, look for my name at the top of the dedication page. :hi:

Frank Miller. Sin City onwards.

DKSA looked rushed to say the least

Not a fair statement as we would have absolutely no idea how much time the artist spent drawing the pages.

Well, he didn't say he rushed, he said it "looked" rushed.

Take a peek at his "Holy Terror" HC that came out last year....he could have spent a year per page on that book and it would still be fair to say it "looked" like he drew it with his feet in the time it takes Kobayashi to down a tube steak.

Lets not split hairs on this. I'm pretty sure we both know what was being implied by that comment.

i meant that the detail that DKR had just seemed to be missing from DKSA but in all honesty alot of the problem would be the colouring

DKR

dk-horseback.jpg

DKSA

batman-strikes1.jpg

still less detail though

worded it wrong, apologies

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe Miller inked himself in the sequel? His work always looks a lot different when he inks himself as opposed to Janson.

i think he inked some of DKR aswell, but i think you're right on inking all of DKSA, same colourist strangely

Don Rosa is another exception. The work and the detail that go into his books is astounding.

Don Rosa is awesome. I ordered the collections of his 70s non-Duck work just to admire the art. If anyone else ordered these books, look for my name at the top of the dedication page. :hi:

Don Rosa is brilliant! The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck is the best origin story out there.

J. Scott Campbell's style doesn't work for me. It just leans too far toward that manga style, I guess.
I am not the biggest fan of Campbell. The man cannot draw a man's face to save his life and all of his women look identical.

jla_campbelljpg.jpg

Just look at how terrible his Superman and Batman look. I also cannot stand Ebas. Probably the most overrated artist out there. Like Campbell he draws the exact same thing every time I see a picture from him. You just have these Grimm fans falling all over themselves in an attempt to see some tits and on a comic cover.

I also cannot stand Ebas. Probably the most overrated artist out there.

He does some of the finest cheesecake commission pieces I have seen recently.

Frank Miller. Sin City onwards.

DKSA looked rushed to say the least

Not a fair statement as we would have absolutely no idea how much time the artist spent drawing the pages.

Well, he didn't say he rushed, he said it "looked" rushed.

Take a peek at his "Holy Terror" HC that came out last year....he could have spent a year per page on that book and it would still be fair to say it "looked" like he drew it with his feet in the time it takes Kobayashi to down a tube steak.

Lets not split hairs on this. I'm pretty sure we both know what was being implied by that comment.

i meant that the detail that DKR had just seemed to be missing from DKSA but in all honesty alot of the problem would be the colouring

DKR

dk-horseback.jpg

DKSA

batman-strikes1.jpg

still less detail though

worded it wrong, apologies

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe Miller inked himself in the sequel? His work always looks a lot different when he inks himself as opposed to Janson.

i think he inked some of DKR aswell, but i think you're right on inking all of DKSA, same colourist strangely

I can recall an interview with Miller at the time of DKSA and he sain Lynn Varley was experimenting with flatter colors and he seemed to be very enthusiastic about it. I was looking forward to the series when it was announced but to be honest the art was enough of a turn off that I put it back on the shelf and haven't read it to this day.

Good art was never meant to be published monthly.

hm

To me, it's a different skill set. Good art can be published monthly, but not all good artists can do good monthly work.

I agree with you 100% The other comment ( though I don't believe it was intended as such ) comes off as an insult to all the pros through the years who were and have been able to produce top shelf work on a monthly basis.

I'll probably take some heat here. But if it got in the way of me enjoying the story....detracted from it, made it a chore to slog forward....

Don Heck. Don Perlin. Frank Springer: Tales of Suspense, Werewolf By Night, The Defenders and the Invaders all suffered due to the art IMO.

Al Milgrom: He's a great inker and editor but as an artist...I had to cancel West Coast Avengers because I simply couldn't make it through. Secret Wars II was pretty bad as well. But in that case the story pretty much blew goats as well.

Never been a big Kirby fan either. Lord knows I've tried but it's just not going to happen. I've never been a fan of Dave Gibbon's work either. Just too....plain for me. It feels like it lacks soul/character/individuality.

As far as recent artists I'm not a big fan of Lentil Yu's work. I know I'm in the minority as a lot of folks dig his art but it just doesn't do it for me.

Who do I like? Mike Deodato is probably the best in the biz IMO. Steve Epting is great. Jim Starlin. John Byrne. Chris Bachalo. Romita Jr (whom I know is almost universally hated on this board...)

Good art was never meant to be published monthly.

hm

To me, it's a different skill set. Good art can be published monthly, but not all good artists can do good monthly work.

I agree with you 100% The other comment ( though I don't believe it was intended as such ) comes off as an insult to all the pros through the years who were and have been able to produce top shelf work on a monthly basis.

It is a different skill set. One geared towards a deadline. That's the goal.

Ask any artist if they do their best work with time to finish it or in consecutive month 27 using the 'Marvel method' to tell a story. It's no contest.

How many page layouts are championed over covers?