• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Modern Speculation Thread
5 5

633 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, eddly said:

I ordered 7 copies. My lcs ordered 10,000. I think they are doing OK. They are selling most online. In their actual bricks and mortar store, they are limiting their customers to 1 copy each. 

I can't imagine ordering 10k of something and then limiting customers to 1 per. I would guess they change that policy soon. 

6 hours ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

I can't imagine ordering 10k of something and then limiting customers to 1 per. I would guess they change that policy soon. 

The reason they likely went that high is they they pre-sold enough of the 1:50 ratio variants (200) to need that many regulars. At the rate they are going for, the variants should cover the cost of the regular issues.

36 minutes ago, kimik said:

The reason they likely went that high is they they pre-sold enough of the 1:50 ratio variants (200) to need that many regulars. At the rate they are going for, the variants should cover the cost of the regular issues.

Yea, if they could sell all of those variants for $100 the regular cover would all be profit, more or less.

26 minutes ago, littledoom said:

Guess the store owner is going to go all out on those 40 different Eternals #1 variants Marvel has coming out lol.

Nah. Eternals <<<<<<<< Venom.

Right now you follow the money, and that is Cates and Tynion for each company, respectively. Be selective with your spec plays and you can make $$$$$.

This store is doing extremely well with their online sales. I have no financial interest in this, if you live in Canada, you should be preordering your comics with them (no I haven’t specifically mentioned who they are). 

On 8/19/2020 at 6:37 PM, Brock said:

Detective Comics #526 and #627 were the previous anniversary issues of this type, just to confuse matters.

Fortunately, issue 600 of Detective managed to line up perfectly with Batman's 50th anniversary, even if it wasn't the 50th for Detective Comics.

9 hours ago, eddly said:

This store is doing extremely well with their online sales. I have no financial interest in this, if you live in Canada, you should be preordering your comics with them (no I haven’t specifically mentioned who they are). 

Which store did that? You are in Calgary, right?

On 8/17/2020 at 12:43 AM, Comic Consortium said:

I know there’s gonna be a boatload of Detective Comic 1027 variants on the way but one in particular has me intrigued. There is one virgin variant with only a print run of 180 copies. Plus it’s a great cover imo. Wouldn’t that make it one of the rarer moderns? Maybe something to consider.

https://thecomicmint.com/products/detective-comics-1027-mike-mayhew-variants?variant=35712095355041

Batman's face on that cover tho...Looks like he accidentally crashed an all-girls slumber party and they're fighting over who gets to put lip gloss on him.

This reminds me of when I was convinced that the 'special collectors edition GOLD COVER' (2nd print) variant of New Mutants #87 was the hot book of the month, and SURE to be worth a fortune in the future..

Good luck everyone, but I've just been having fun buying back issues at my LCS of stuff I missed for less than cover price;)

On 8/20/2020 at 11:26 AM, eddly said:

This store is doing extremely well with their online sales. I have no financial interest in this, if you live in Canada, you should be preordering your comics with them. 

Red Skull Comics, Calgary? Probably not Phoenix Comics? ???