• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opening and reusing a CGC holder

48 posts in this topic

Did a search but couldn't find what I was looking for. I want to buy a cheap CGC graded book and just use the holder for protection on a non CGC'd book I own. Is it possible to crack open a CGC case and close it again? Are there any instructions anywhere on how to do this?

Did a search but couldn't find what I was looking for. I want to buy a cheap CGC graded book and just use the holder for protection on a non CGC'd book I own. Is it possible to crack open a CGC case and close it again? Are there any instructions anywhere on how to do this?

+1

Weird. I am actually doing this to a book next week when I get it. I've cracked books out, and about half the time I manage to not damage the case, but I am curious to how I can keep it closed again. I was thinking some bull clips or something, but I was hoping there might be a cleaner way to secure it.

A bit of glue on the corners would hold them together nicely. Either an epoxy or model car glue should work fine.

Getting them apart without cracking them is the hard part. I've cracked out a fair number of books but have never really tried to preserve the slabs. Just work slowly up to the corners.

I've never tried it - but I wonder if a small, thin hacksaw blade would work

Yes, you can.

It's also a terrific opportunity to switch the label to a higher grade, SS, or an attractive plaid pattern.

+1

Weird. I am actually doing this to a book next week when I get it. I've cracked books out, and about half the time I manage to not damage the case, but I am curious to how I can keep it closed again. I was thinking some bull clips or something, but I was hoping there might be a cleaner way to secure it.

Ask Dupcak.

+1

Ask Dupcak.

:o

The CGC Boards equivalent of "If it were up your , you'd know."

Yes, you can.

It's also a terrific opportunity to switch the label to a higher grade, SS, or an attractive plaid pattern.

......i can't believe we're talking about this..... :facepalm: