• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why Grade a Comic? by LionHeart, Inc.

6 posts in this topic

Why Grade a Comic?

I have always had a love for comics since I was a little kid and I always kept my comics in excellent condition. Took pride in bagging them and ensure all of them had backboards even at a young age. I remember my first comics - Thor, Avengers, Spider-man and of course my Green Lantern. Back then comics provided a doorway to another world were a child could escape and be amazed at these wonderful heroes and their monthly adventures. Great times and wonderful memories, especially with parents who enjoyed and encouraged me reading even if it was just a comic.

When I first heard of CGC I wasn't a big fun mostly because I didn't understand the need for grading comics, but I understand now that there is a need for CGC. The need is not just for collections but the need to preserve these wonderful memories maintained in pages of comics. Ensuring these memories do not end up destroyed with time and preserving them hopefully for generations to come.

I still love reading comics and I will always enjoy the touch of the paper while reading new and old comics, but CGC is needed and hopefully a standard for true collectors for a long time to come.

See more journals by LionHeart, Inc.

You know how we've mapped the human genome? Well how about mapping the comic genome: Every cover/every issue/ every page/digitize and viola. We would still need CGC for market stability and the joy of collecting collectibles

as you described....but think of all that digital comic coolness to read...it is very possible...though it would take a small army of scanning soldiers and a couple of years, and massive copyright infringement problems. Hell, SHIELD could do it over the weekend. Well, it's fun to dream. Now where did I leave that drink?

Good entry. I was initially skeptical myself.

It really is about preservation. I look at the grade as a bonus, as long as I'm happy with the comic I selected. I usually like to buy raw and have it graded just so I'm happy with it before it goes to grading.

Also, considering the WIDE range of sellers grading ability, a solid industry standard takes the guess work out of what you are buying. Imagine purchasing that long desired X-Men #1 in a VF condition RAW, only to have to have it graded and come back a F-. As Homer Simpson would say, doh!!!

I suspect that you are wrong. CGC does not claim archival quality in their slabs.

IMO, you really are not going to do any better than Mylar with a Gerber Fullback and a couple of pages of micro-chamber paper.

Probably more important than what the books are stored in is the environmentals that the books are stored in. Dark, cool, medium humidity is key.

I reckon a slab will last longer in the condition it is in than an ungraded raw book even in mylar. I consider the investment and usually will buy 2 or more so I may handle one without comprimise