• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ditch Fahrenheit's Journal
7 7

17,386 posts in this topic

"Everybody out of here, everybody out! The Air Force'll take care of these babies now! Dr Forrester, get out of here! Dr.X, get out of here! Everybody ou..." - Marine Colonel Ralph Heffner.

dr.forester.jpg

Check this out.

I said "Whoa!" out loud at least three times. Honest.

There had to have been some serious calibrating going on to make that.

It's amazing how creative and inventive people can be.

Is this intense, or is this intense?

If the quarter was dated 1958, it was 90% silver, containing roughly .18 ounce of that metal.

If it had been "traveling" 22 years, that would make the time in the clip 1980, in which year the film is set.

In 1980, the average price of silver was $20.63 (from an intraday high of $50.35 on Jan 18, 1980), which means that quarter was worth about $3.71, on average, during that year.

The US Gov't stopped producing silver quarters for circulation in 1965 (or 1966; the records aren't entirely clear), but here's the trick: they had been continuing, on an emergency basis, to date these quarters (and dimes and halves) 1964. This was in "violation" of Federal law, which said coins had to be dated the year they were struck, but the mint was under orders from Treasury, and they set that aside for those years. Not relevant, but interesting. The takeaway is that all US quarters, halves, and dimes dated 1964 or earlier were silver. The Mint also introduced the cupro-nickel clad coins, which contain no silver (dime and quarter) and halves (40% silver until 1970.)

By the mid-70's, it was difficult to find silver coins in circulation. By 1979, due to the spike in silver prices, it was essentially impossible.

So, I doubt Anton would have given that convenience store owner a 1958 quarter as a quarter in 1980, and I don't think he would have been unaware of its value.

Or....maybe he did, and that was what the shopkeep won.

:D

Check this out.

I said "Whoa!" out loud at least three times. Honest.

There had to have been some serious calibrating going on to make that.

It's amazing how creative and inventive people can be.

how many marbles died or were injured in the making of this video?

Is this intense, or is this intense?

If the quarter was dated 1958, it was 90% silver, containing roughly .18 ounce of that metal.

If it had been "traveling" 22 years, that would make the time in the clip 1980, in which year the film is set.

In 1980, the average price of silver was $20.63 (from an intraday high of $50.35 on Jan 18, 1980), which means that quarter was worth about $3.71, on average, during that year.

The US Gov't stopped producing silver quarters for circulation in 1965 (or 1966; the records aren't entirely clear), but here's the trick: they had been continuing, on an emergency basis, to date these quarters (and dimes and halves) 1964. This was in "violation" of Federal law, which said coins had to be dated the year they were struck, but the mint was under orders from Treasury, and they set that aside for those years. Not relevant, but interesting. The takeaway is that all US quarters, halves, and dimes dated 1964 or earlier were silver. The Mint also introduced the cupro-nickel clad coins, which contain no silver (dime and quarter) and halves (40% silver until 1970.)

By the mid-70's, it was difficult to find silver coins in circulation. By 1979, due to the spike in silver prices, it was essentially impossible.

So, I doubt Anton would have given that convenience store owner a 1958 quarter as a quarter in 1980, and I don't think he would have been unaware of its value.

Or....maybe he did, and that was what the shopkeep won.

:D

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

Cormac McCarty is the greatest American author of all time.

Yeah. I said it.