Golden Age Comics Figurine Collection
1 1

78 posts in this topic

82 posts

Hi All,

My name is Jared Zichek and I'm a big fan of Golden Age comics, especially super hero, science fiction and horror comics by the more obscure publishers. I'm also a 3D artist and sculptor, and I'm developing an idea for a line of small hand-painted metal figurines of public domain characters from the Golden Age. These would be very similar to the Classic Marvel Figurine Collection and DC Comics Super Hero Collection produced by Eaglemoss.

To kick off the collection, I recently sculpted a figurine of an offbeat character called Stardust the Super Wizard, originally created by Fletcher Hanks. I've just launched a Kickstarter campaign to finance a limited production run of the figure for fans of Hanks and his bizarre creation.

8184084534_fce1b562fc_z.jpg

8183970878_664c803a54_z.jpg

8183935567_f65ac9135c_z.jpg

8183972138_c1ecc277f3_z.jpg

8183971272_564cf1b9cc_z.jpg

The figure is sculpted at 1/21 scale, the same scale as the Eaglemoss figurines. The figure stands 4.45" (11.3 cm) tall including the base; it is equivalent to an Eaglemoss "Special" due to its above average size. The production figurine will be made of white metal and hand-painted; cost is $25 plus shipping for a single figurine. Backers should receive their figure by March/April 2013. The campaign ends Friday, December 14 at 12:54 am.

If the project is a success, I hope to proceed with the ongoing series; I welcome any suggestions you have for future characters to include!

Best Regards,

Jared Zichek

Edited by jzichek

1,869 posts

I saw this announced the other day on Robot6!

I really like your style but I see you didn't have international shipping...

I'd really like to see a Classic Monsters line!

Hope you hit the 6,700$ Goal!

Welcome to the Board!

82 posts

Thank you radjack! I actually do have international shipping - for instance, you just need to add $4 to the $36 pledge to ship overseas. I sincerely wish the shipping cost were lower, but lead is heavy!

-Jared

40,428 posts

That is the strangest story I've ever read.

Who knew they smoked crack back in the Golden Age of comic creation? :eek:

201 posts

I think this is pretty cool, and even though I'm not really interested in Stardust, I went ahead and pledged anyway. I'm sure if your future ones will be heros like Black Terror, Fighting Yank etc, they will sell like gangbusters.

82 posts

Thank you stevescu!!! Yes, Black Terror and several other Nedor characters are high on my list to do.

DiceX, if you want to read more Fletcher Hanks insanity, I highly recommend two excellent books edited by Paul Karasik, I Shall Destroy All the Civilized Planets! and You Shall Die By Your Own Evil Creation!, both published by Fantagraphics in 2007 and 2009. They are two of my favorite archival comics collections.

17,024 posts

Nice work, and it's a pretty cool idea. Best of luck with your kickstarter. (thumbs u

2,112 posts

I Like this alot. Good luck with project. Heading over to kickstarter.

3,543 posts

Dude, at first I was like hmmm interesting. Then I saw Statdust and I plotzed in my drawers. Sign me up :acclaim:

15,536 posts
Hi All,

My name is Jared Zichek and I'm a big fan of Golden Age comics, especially super hero, science fiction and horror comics by the more obscure publishers. I'm also a 3D artist and sculptor, and I'm developing an idea for a line of small hand-painted metal figurines of public domain characters from the Golden Age. These would be very similar to the Classic Marvel Figurine Collection and DC Comics Super Hero Collection produced by Eaglemoss,

To kick off the collection, I recently sculpted a figurine of an offbeat character called Stardust the Super Wizard, originally created by Fletcher Hanks. I've just launched a Kickstarter campaign to finance a limited production run of the figure for fans of Hanks and his bizarre creation.

8184084534_fce1b562fc_z.jpg

8183970878_664c803a54_z.jpg

8183935567_f65ac9135c_z.jpg

8183972138_c1ecc277f3_z.jpg

8183971272_564cf1b9cc_z.jpg

The figure is sculpted at 1/21 scale, the same scale as the Eaglemoss figurines. The figure stands 4.45" (11.3 cm) tall including the base; it is equivalent to an Eaglemoss "Special" due to its above average size. The production figurine will be made of white metal and hand-painted; cost is $25 plus shipping for a single figurine. Backers should receive their figure by March/April 2013. The campaign ends Friday, December 14 at 12:54 am.

If the project is a success, I hope to proceed with the ongoing series; I welcome any suggestions you have for future characters to include!

Best Regards,

Jared Zichek

Cool !!

11,026 posts

Nice work.

For future sculpts:

1. Amazing Man

2. Hydro Man

3. Silver Streak

4. the Conqueror

5. perhaps a Western hero ? hm

7,555 posts

How about bringing to life some classic horror and crime covers? I think 3 dozen boardies would line up for a CSS22 figurine.

2,910 posts

What will the production run be on these? and would it possibly have more interest if it was limited and # numbered?

6,661 posts
How about bringing to life some classic horror and crime covers? I think 3 dozen boardies would line up for a CSS22 figurine.

Oh yes, now you are talking. :cloud9:

1,869 posts
Thank you radjack! I actually do have international shipping - for instance, you just need to add $4 to the $36 pledge to ship overseas. I sincerely wish the shipping cost were lower, but lead is heavy!

-Jared

Well sir then I'll buy one as soon as I get some extra money at the start of December! I hope you make a good collection instead of just this one!

I'm definitely big fan of classic horror comics; I found many inspirational creatures of the night in the Four Color Fear and The Horror! The Horror! archival collections. My preference would be to include a few of these in the collection or break them out in their own subcollection if there is a market for them.

Now this is what I always wanted, I'm pretty sure these would sell like hot cakes! Most people (well people who would buy this) are into horror anyway so I think you'd have a real market with a horror collection!

---------------------------------------------------

Best of luck for you and this project!

42,183 posts

I'm in for $165. Please put the Black Terror high on your priority list if feasible.

23,467 posts

I'll have to support this as all the GA greats need a sculpt.

You have me at supersnipe with hitler and a pin, or a group shot throwing Tojo, hitler and Mussolini into the fiery puts with the devil laughing.