• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Signed by Lantern Light

38 posts in this topic

... my 2013 focus

My 2012 collecting started out with the Points Challenge ($100 to score 1000 points). Which morphed into $300 for 3000+ points, and kept me entertained for the first 6 months of the year. At the end of it I spent $335 and amassed 3500 points on my registry. By years end I had sold them all off and fell from just inside the top 1000 down to the 1400s...

Now here we are almost to 2013 (if the Myans are wrong) and Im changing gears and focusing on signature series. But this time nothing so mechanical as trading dollars for points, but rather feeding my childhood love of Green Lantern!

In the last month I've grabbed a few green Lantern Sig Series books, nothing high grade or high dollar, but nice signatures to have none the less. So my new goal for 2013:

Try to get at least one Sig Series book from each of Green Lanterns various artists, and if possible writers too. Some (Neal Adams I'm looking at you!) are easy to get because they live on the con circuit. Others, not so much, or impossible. I'm going to try to do both new book subs via facilitator (or other CGC friends) and book purchases (here on the boards and via ebay and other marketplaces).

I'll start off by posting some of the books I already have, and then talk about some of my main targets. Along the way I might even post some OA that goes along with my Lantern love.

So keep watching, I'll leave the lantern lit.

-miraclemet

12695.jpg

See more journals by miraclemet

Later today I'll talk about the creators whose sigs are at the top of my "want" list, and whose wont be in a SS slab ever (the dearly departed).

But for now, just so tnerb doesnt have all the page 1 journals ( ;) ) I'll post another affordable Lantern SS picked up last week.

hg9K9.jpg

While my main interest will be in v2 creators, getting a Darryl Banks on Kyle Rayner's first appearance seemed like a sensible addition to the collection. Darryl was penciler on much of the Kyle Rayner era of Green Lantern. Classic Bank$ style signature....

Here's a book that came via the "Pay it Forward" Thread. If you arent familiar with it, its stickied over in the Comics General forward. Basically, someone posts/offers a book, someone else "takes" it, and then they post up their own offering. There are some basic rules around the party (like having to wait to take an offer if you've taken one recently), but in general its a fun way to pass along things that you are done with (like trades), that dont fit your collection (if you've traded focus), or just to give something cool to someone else that you thought was awesome.

So onward.

This book is a Green Lantern Annual #7 from the 3rd volume (Rayner) signed by Ron Lim and Bernie Wrightson.

I have plenty of Bernie covers (of the Horror variety), but didnt even realize he ever came back to Green Lantern after his short stint inking Neal Adams (GL/GA #82 & #84), but there it is. The lone Bernie Wrightson cover in Green Lantern's history. Ron Lim was one of the interior artists on this issue, so it's nice to have him on the books sig line as well. I like that they got Bernie Wrightson to do the cover of such a horror-y themed Lantern cover. Wonder how Bernie would have done with the whole Black Lantern, Corpse Corps storyline... probably would have done some nice variant covers...

j9sDb.jpg

much thanks to Revat for offering the book in the PiF thread!

hm just noticed that Ron Marz and Bill Willingham will both be at ECC... Maybe a crack and add is in order hm Its not like Im trying to keep it in 9.8 shape.... Its one of WIllingham's few Lantern books, so it may have to happen...

Later today I'll talk about the creators whose sigs are at the top of my "want" list, and whose wont be in a SS slab ever (the dearly departed).

But for now, just so tnerb doesnt have all the page 1 journals ( ;) ) I'll post another affordable Lantern SS picked up last week.

hg9K9.jpg

While my main interest will be in v2 creators, getting a Darryl Banks on Kyle Rayner's first appearance seemed like a sensible addition to the collection. Darryl was penciler on much of the Kyle Rayner era of Green Lantern. Classic Bank$ style signature....

hm just noticed that Ron Marz and Bill Willingham will both be at ECC... Maybe a crack and add is in order hm Its not like Im trying to keep it in 9.8 shape.... Its one of WIllingham's few Lantern books, so it may have to happen...

hg9K9.jpg

i was thinking bout it too!

i was thinking bout it too!

There are quite a few interesting multi-sig opportunities at ECC for Lantern fans this year... I was just mapping out some options this morning...

O'Neil, Adams, Grell, Saviuk all in the same room. And add Marz, EVS and others? There'll be lots of Lantern books getting passed around.

I have a really nice GLGA 90 for Grell and O'Neill. Good looking lineup.

Yeah, I've got a Blue label 9.6 and I cant decide if I crack it for them, or have one of my raws signed.... say a 103 with Grell, O'Neil and Saviuk...

of course Im leaning towards having Saviuk sign this

79KNU.jpg

...I meant to do that...

Have to post my scan of Green Lantern #132 (Perez) to archive the image vs the borrowed sales image in the first post. Just my OCD talking, nothing to see here...

Outside of the fact that having a Perez "con sig" book makes me want a Perez "artist's sig" book to go with it...

I also like seeing his funky Deco style sig on the cover as well (along the spine in block letters)

eHPKe.jpg

Next up (just to try and keep up with Tnerbs journaling) is my lone Green Lantern Neal Adams SS. I have other GL SS and other Neal Adam's SS, but at the moment this is my only Neal Adams signed Green Lantern comic.

As I look at Neal's Green Lantern covers Im struck by how non-heroic they are. There are plenty of iconic covers, and plenty of shocking ones. But think of the iconic Batman and Superman covers that Neal put out... besides #76, I dont think of any of Neal's covers as particularly amazing. Shocking yes. Gut wrenching, sure. But not amazing. More on this maybe later...

For now here is a fun signed copy of Green Lantern #79.

obOeT.jpg

And as a fun bonus here is some ephemeria related to this issue, first the teaser add in another comic leading up to GL #79, and then the Cover to the collected paperback (small size) that included this issue.

zCM1B.jpg

So Emerald City Comic-con is coming up (as already discussed in the journal) And Denny O'Neil and Neal Adams will be there signing, so its a perfect time to get one of the "signature" Green Lantern run books signed by its creators.

But as I look thru the covers trying to decide which one has the best asthetic for signing Im struck by how unappealing these covers are beyond the iconic #76...

2FBui.jpg

Lets summarize:

• GL & GA overtaken by gas
  • GL Smacking a hippie
  • GL tied to a totem pole (though this is my favorite cover for signing I think with the great black backgrounds for a nice popping silver sig
  • GL and Co bound and gagged in a newspapers-style splash
  • a very busy cover where its hard to tell whats happening
  • GL and GA being attacked and shredded by Harpies
  • A cover dominated by a Spiro T Agnew
  • Again GL and Co in bondage
  • that stupid shocked look on Ollie's face with Speedy the junkie front and center
  • Best bet for signing, but still not a heroic cover (and a tiny GL and GA image to boot)
  • My boy Hal Jordan being taken down by the (temporary) replacement GL John Stewart
  • A nice iconic cover, but iconic for the messianic figure (not GL or GA both being restrained by civilians)

Nothing there has the pop of Batman #227, #251 or Superman 252, 233 or others...

Oh what to do... Im really not the type to get a GL #76 signed, but outside of maybe #86 or #89 I'm just not feeling it...

It was interesting bidding on the tripple signed 144. I had to remind myself of all the costs that go into getting a SS book slabbed. Between the cost of submittal ($35+5 service fee), then the extra $10 per sig... we're already at $60, and thats without fast tracking (another $10) and shipping (about $15) and that doesnt even consider the cost of the original book and the shipping to get it in the hands of the facilitator... that all adds up to.... $85-90 bucks to "create" a similar book (yeah I know the service fee is just per invoice, so do more than one book). So while it wasnt a "cheap" book, the tripple sig made it at least a decent buy, and a great add to the collection.

Im going to go ahead and post a scan from the sales listing (one of the better sales scans, no bad cropping!)

JlL3N.jpg

Ironically I thought about getting this book signed by Perez last year at Dragoncon, and just a few months later I'll have a copy with the added bonus of Staton and Wolfman.

I also love having Wolfman and Perez sigs on the same book. I love Crisis on Infinite Earths so much as a kid (and to this day).... I do think at some point I should try to get a Perez "artist" signature on one of the remaining ones I dont have...

It was interesting bidding on the tripple signed 144. I had to remind myself of all the costs that go into getting a SS book slabbed. Between the cost of submittal ($35+5 service fee), then the extra $10 per sig... we're already at $60, and thats without fast tracking (another $10) and shipping (about $15) and that doesnt even consider the cost of the original book and the shipping to get it in the hands of the facilitator... that all adds up to.... $85-90 bucks to "create" a similar book (yeah I know the service fee is just per invoice, so do more than one book). So while it wasnt a "cheap" book, the tripple sig made it at least a decent buy, and a great add to the collection.

Im going to go ahead and post a scan from the sales listing (one of the better sales scans, no bad cropping!)

JlL3N.jpg

Ironically I thought about getting this book signed by Perez last year at Dragoncon, and just a few months later I'll have a copy with the added bonus of Staton and Wolfman.

I also love having Wolfman and Perez sigs on the same book. I love Crisis on Infinite Earths so much as a kid (and to this day).... I do think at some point I should try to get a Perez "artist" signature on one of the remaining ones I dont have...

Whoever put this book together did great job of placing the sigs. If you want to see something funny, check out my NTT #2 at MSC and see both of Perez' sigs on the same book! lol