• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Sauce Dog said:

While it is already a mega-key, House of Secrets #92 is really seeing some crazy growth on the absolute bottom low-grade end. I love picking up whatever copies I can, so often track any copies that his Ebay and have been seeing the worst of the worst copies hit new record prices.

For example a beat up CGC 0.5 incomplete sold today for $504us (with 48 bids), which is up considerably from the last 0.5 incomplete which sold in August this year for $245. A 1.5 sold last month for $515, 1.8 for $600.

But oddly enough the grades above these are either the same price or lower, the costs for getting a copy between 2.5 and 4.0 are banding from $400 to $600 as well (which means either these will be pushed up in future copies or all these low end books will come down. There is a brand new Swamp Thing series launching early next year, so perhaps these are the other core fans who have always wanted a first appearance)

Thanks for this info!

I'm sure it could be a few different factors, but I wonder if it is a combination of:

1) Collectors maybe being priced out of the higher end grades, and so they are looking for a lower-end copy. And this could just be a wave moving through the book right now. The higher end prices are a little stagnant right now, with growth in those lower end copies, as they are perceived as being a bargain of sorts. It seems like this has happened with Hulk 181 several times over the years.

2) People being exposed to the Swamp Thing series on 'regular' tv now, and that causing some interest? I have a very good friend/fellow collector that is more of a 'Marvel guy.' He has watched the new Swamp Thing show, and he has liked it quite a bit. He has never really expressed any interest in the character, but he's asked me quite a few questions since the show came on. He's aware of the wonderful stories from Wein/Wrightson and Moore/etc., because I've told him about them... but for the first time he's indicated he might buy some trades to read them. (I realize that isn't buying HOS 92, but I could see my friend seeking one out if he likes what he reads in the TPBs.)

2 minutes ago, HighVoltage said:

Thanks for this info!

I'm sure it could be a few different factors, but I wonder if it is a combination of:

1) Collectors maybe being priced out of the higher end grades, and so they are looking for a lower-end copy. And this could just be a wave moving through the book right now. The higher end prices are a little stagnant right now, with growth in those lower end copies, as they are perceived as being a bargain of sorts. It seems like this has happened with Hulk 181 several times over the years.

2) People being exposed to the Swamp Thing series on 'regular' tv now, and that causing some interest? I have a very good friend/fellow collector that is more of a 'Marvel guy.' He has watched the new Swamp Thing show, and he has liked it quite a bit. He has never really expressed any interest in the character, but he's asked me quite a few questions since the show came on. He's aware of the wonderful stories from Wein/Wrightson and Moore/etc., because I've told him about them... but for the first time he's indicated he might buy some trades to read them. (I realize that isn't buying HOS 92, but I could see my friend seeking one out if he likes what he reads in the TPBs.)

I'm pretty much of the mind it is your first point, the perception that many have of being priced out of mid/high grades causes a frenzy of bidding for low grades...often to the point that they get to prices that would be better spent just investing another $100 for a copy several grade points higher. This is also happening with TMNT #1, as any low grade 1st or 2nd print gets more activity than others. I'm happy about this as I've been collecting whatever condition copy comes my way for HOS92, but is also sad because it means my collecting more budget copies is at an end :D  

19 minutes ago, Sauce Dog said:

For example a beat up CGC 0.5 incomplete sold today for $504us (with 48 bids), which is up considerably from the last 0.5 incomplete which sold in August this year for $245. A 1.5 sold last month for $515, 1.8 for $600.

Those are ludicrous prices for books in those grades. 

Well they're not Batman 313 prices, but there is still an understated demand for BA books of all flavors: :bigsmile:

4 minutes ago, BrooksR said:

A lot of sites are saying it’s the first Kenobi also, and the show announcement has got them speculating...

Interesting... did Star Wars #2 come out before the film was released?  I think #1 did which I guess would make it the first appearance of Luke Skywalker.  Thanks for the insight.

37 minutes ago, EastEnd1 said:

Interesting... did Star Wars #2 come out before the film was released?  I think #1 did which I guess would make it the first appearance of Luke Skywalker.  Thanks for the insight.

Regardless, it is the 1st appearance of Luke because it is a comic. There is a first aliens in comics and a first ALF and a first Venom. Star Wars 1 has always had the cachet of coming out before the movie and having had the extra storylines that didn't make the cut, like the more important role of Biggs Darklighter. 

58 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Must not be many listed. It's barely cracking $100. Sept - 4 sales, Oct - 3 sales, Nov - 2 sales.

I assume you mean number 1; I meant the whole series, of which there are a dozen sales. Not many, I know, but when I used to check there were plenty of 1 and 2s about. Now there are 3 total non-SS. 

1 hour ago, makeminemarvel said:

I was collecting Bats a little before and after issue number 300.  Looked recently and stopped at 308 :pullhair:

I probaly have 1000 Batman comics (all related titles) spread out over several boxes and I have everything around this. Multiples! But not this (I am halfway through looking)

On 12/25/2020 at 11:57 AM, the blob said:

I probaly have 1000 Batman comics (all related titles) spread out over several boxes and I have everything around this. Multiples! But not this (I am halfway through looking)

Maybe you need to work on organizing your books so finding anything isn't such a clusterfork. I mean I know you have a crapload of books from what you've said before but having no method of keeping them in order is costing you so much time every time you think you have some book. Easy for me to say since I have under 2000 books while you have something like 30K or around that.

The bigger question though is what is the plan if you find some copies of Bats 313-- are you trying to cash in on them while the book is hot?