• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

So I see New Gods 7 has been a desired item for a few months now (I just noticed this today, I guess I'm out of the loop).

So I ran to one of my shops where they usually have a bunch of these 4th world books at decent prices to see if he has a copy and they are ALL gone. (the darkseid stuff had already been gone for a while, of course). I can't really tell from ebay that these books (New Goods, Forever People, mostly) have allgone nuts, but its weird that what was once probably 20-30 copies of issues from these titles, they're all gone. unless maybe someone walked in with a want list or something.

So I see New Gods 7 has been a desired item for a few months now (I just noticed this today, I guess I'm out of the loop).

So I ran to one of my shops where they usually have a bunch of these 4th world books at decent prices to see if he has a copy and they are ALL gone. (the darkseid stuff had already been gone for a while, of course). I can't really tell from ebay that these books (New Goods, Forever People, mostly) have allgone nuts, but its weird that what was once probably 20-30 copies of issues from these titles, they're all gone. unless maybe someone walked in with a want list or something.

I am noticing less and less of any of the Kirby 4th World books in the bins. I believe this was driven by Darkseid but this is also long overdue. Kirby's art across New Gods and Forever People is stunning and the creativity is off the charts. His dialogue and plots are his weakness and unfortunately I believe that is what doomed both series. Issue 7 is just the start. I believe most of these issues will become "hot" as elements and characters keep being added to the movies. Darkseid, Orion, Mother Box, Steppenwollf....Black Racer, Beautiful Dreamer and many more like;y coming soon.

Edited by Bronx

Speaking of Darkseid related jumps, I see that the last GPA recorded JO #134 9.0 sale was for $1270 this month. The latest 9.2 and 9.4 sales ($1350 and $1816) in July showed a decent pop as well. It is hitting IM #55 pricing at the 9.0+ end now.

I wonder how high this book can push when Darkseid actually appears in a movie?

Edited by kimik

I am noticing less and less of any of the Kirby 4th World books in the bins. I believe this was driven by Darkseid but this is also long overdue. Kirby's art across New Gods and Forever People is stunning and the creativity is off the charts. His dialogue and plots are his weakness and unfortunately I believe that is what doomed both series. Issue 7 is just the start. I believe most of these issues will become "hot" as elements and characters keep being added to the movies. Darkseid, Orion, Mother Box, Steppenwollf....Black Racer, Beautiful Dreamer and many more like;y coming soon.

I used to give copies of Omac 1 away for big purchases. I had bought like 20 copies out of a 50 cent box in the 90s.

I have always bought New Gods, Forever People, etc. when the price looked right (this shop had them priced fairly, but not low enough for me to buy more copies as I have a bunch already) as I have always liked Kirby's chunky art on these titles, but I had never been on the lookout for #7 in particular before.

Edited by the blob

I read link and it was Groot and the GOG in the Avengers Infinity war movie. I didn't see anything about a villain.

You are right they don't say squat. I am just talking about everything starting to look toward a certain villain. There is nothing in stone yet I am guessing and hoping.

Its just when you see GoG and Avengers together something comes to mind really fast as a villain.

Speaking of Darkseid related jumps, I see that the last GPA recorded 9.0 sale was for $1270 this month. The latest 9.2 and 9.4 sales ($1350 and $1816) in July showed a decent pop as well. It is hitting IM #55 pricing at the 9.0+ end now.

which title? Jimmy Olsen or Forever People 1?

Speaking of Darkseid related jumps, I see that the last GPA recorded 9.0 sale was for $1270 this month. The latest 9.2 and 9.4 sales ($1350 and $1816) in July showed a decent pop as well. It is hitting IM #55 pricing at the 9.0+ end now.

JO 134

As much as I love the Thanos character, he is still just a copy of Darkseid. Jim Starlin came up with Thanos after he was told to copy the character back when Marvel was crapping their pants about what Kirby could have done at DC. Unfortunately although Kirby created some great stuff, it never really came together while he was there.

Starlin did a better job than Kirby of making Thanos shine and created an awesome cosmic storyline that spanned Warlock, Captain Marvel and the Avengers (and a touch of Iron Man & Daredevil. Thanos than went silent for years until the very creative Infinity Gauntlet.

However, Darkseid is an amazing villain. He just did not initially hit the main books like Superman, Batman, Flash... just Jimmy Olsen. It took DC a long time to figure out how to make him THE main villain of the DCU but I'm hoping the movie folks can capture the magic.

The best thing for fans would be if both DC and Marvel figured it out and created insane movies. FO 1 and JO 134 would both explode and IM 55 would rise even further. Than Disney could buy DC and we could have a Thanos vs. Darkseid final show down. I know I got a little carried away...but you never know. :luhv:

Edited by Bronx

JO 134

Thought FP 1 is his first appearance?

JO 134

Yes, sorry for the typo. I have added the JO #134 now. lol

As an Adams artwork collector this is a book that I had been meaning to snag in 9.6/9.8 for the longest time, but since it was stagnant for so long I never got around to it until it was too late. doh!

JO 134

As an Adams artwork collector this is a book that I had been meaning to snag in 9.6/9.8 for the longest time, but since it was stagnant for so long I never got around to it until it was too late. doh!

Didn't you at one time have the Rocky Mountain copy? I could have sworn I saw it early in this thread.

JO 134

Thought FP 1 is his first appearance?

No. There's a crudely-drawn Darkseid head in a tiny panel. Thrilling stuff.

JO 134

Didn't you at one time have the Rocky Mountain copy? I could have sworn I saw it early in this thread.

Not me, unfortunately. My best copy currently is a lowly 9.0.

Way back when I had a 9.4 or 9.6 from a nice OO collection but sold it well before it took off (pre-2009). That was when I still had my Adams hoard (a dozen or so nice copies (8.0+) GL #76s, Bats #227s, etc.) and decided to start liquidating it because prices had jumped so high. lol

JO 134

Not me, unfortunately. My best copy currently is a lowly 9.0.

Way back when I had a 9.4 or 9.6 from a nice OO collection but sold it well before it took off (pre-2009). That was when I still had my Adams hoard (a dozen or so nice copies (8.0+) GL #76s, Bats #227s, etc.) and decided to start liquidating it because prices had jumped so high. lol

It was MrLatko. I knew I had seen it posted, but mistook him for you. It's a shame Darkseid isn't on the cover of JO 134. I think the book would be selling for double if he were.

I read link and it was Groot and the GOG in the Avengers Infinity war movie. I didn't see anything about a villain.

You are right they don't say squat. I am just talking about everything starting to look toward a certain villain. There is nothing in stone yet I am guessing and hoping.

Its just when you see GoG and Avengers together something comes to mind really fast as a villain.

Marvel Comics management?