• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales from the Island of Serendip
4 4

8,956 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Jayman said:

Very cool! Is there anywhere one can see a list or a side by side comparison of the original vs. the repainted versions? That book looks wonderful. I know there’s a boardie that collects these graded but I can’t recall at the moment...

Yeah, they are actually reproduced at the very back of the book. Be thankful they were -I believe- never distributed before production was shut down.They were eventually issued in 1984 by Steve Kiviat of Rosem Enterprises and were called Mars Attacks- The Unpublished Version. They show less violent versions of cards #3, 6, 8, 11, 15, 17, 19, 21, 29, 30, 32, 36, and 38. In fact they are comparatively dull [see below] - although Saunders did sneak a self portrait into the one depicted here! The revisions range from removing blood, impalements, explicit gore, bodies on fire (both the living and the dead), etc., to, most intriguing of all, threatened women being repainted as men. ("Destroying a Dog" was also revised to show a soldier in place of the dog!). The revised artwork commands high prices at auction!

1962-topps-mars-attacks-original-artwork-card-beast-beauty-ultimate-norm-saunders.jpg

APTBNL Mars Attacks Pack 17.jpg

On 12/26/2020 at 5:47 AM, Flex Mentallo said:

Modern-Mechanix-Jan-1933-600x878.jpg

I really appreciate that Mr (or Ms) Wilson "improved" the original printed image and, emboldened by their effort, signed said art right under Norm. lol

I'm a Norm Saunders fan and, though the original Mars Attacks! cards never made it here, I did get the reissue, what, more than twenty years ago? Remember the "1st Day of Issue" marketing gimmick?

My initial exposure to Saunders came via the 1966 "Batman" gum cards and I have admired him ever since.

Anyway, Compliments of the Season to you Michael and I am pleased to see you posting again.