• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales from the Island of Serendip
4 4

8,956 posts in this topic

…and so with the harbinger of Martin's painting we come to apocalypse, or my experience of it. If at the end of this somewhat lengthy post you come to the conclusion that I was merely a tourist in Bosnia Herzegovina I will not argue. I was not called up to service. I was not paid to go there. But I went anyway - and if I was quietly overwhelmed by the sheer scale of human suffering I encountered, well, you can say I got what I deserved.

At the same time, this is not really my story. It is actually many stories. U2, Paul McCartney and Luciano Pavarotti are part of this story - though before you ask, no, I didnt go to school with any of them! There is at least one hero in this story - and no, that isnt me either, but a man I met called Nigel Osborne. If anything, I discovered that on some instinctual level I am a coward. But that doesn’t matter either. As with nearly all my stories, the real subjects here are the children, wherever they live, and what we oblige them to suffer.

destruction_zpsef61eb6e.jpeg

Over Christmas I began a long delayed project to collate a room full of pictures - sketches, drawings, canvases, photographs, and began to upload the scanned images to photobucket. (Still a long way to go.) I'm not now sure to be honest, whether posting these illustrated narratives on the boards was the stimulus I needed. Perhaps it was, as the job has badly needed doing for years and perhaps would never have gotten done otherwise!

Like Heinrich Schliemann excavating the walls of Troy I am ploughing through layers of material as if it were an archaeological dig - metaphorically speaking I think I've just reached the floors of Troy 7. Or in real terms, 1994 and the Siege of Sarajevo.

sarajevo-survival-map-1992-1996_zpsc685bcd0.jpg

I consider it a great privilege to have access to the boards and a sympathetic audience. I am quietly amazed that so many of you still appear to be reading - though the various pm's I've had assure me that this is the case.

As before I will interweave art with life, music and film. The connections I make between the movies of Andrei Tarkovsky and my experiences in the former Yugoslavia may appear tenuous, but to this I would say, sometimes we make sense of things later, and in that process, a greater meaning emerges. Serendipity looks backwards as well as forwards.

I will see if I can explain this as I go along.

Aliens we never see have dropped by for a brief stopover, leaving behind the equivalent of litter scattered around after a roadside picnic. This is no ordinary litter however. Time and causality have been altered, and in this zone, those who enter may also be transformed.

tarkovsky_zps630e3eae.jpg

Memories are depicted in grainy sepia, like still lives, like recurring dreams. To give you an example of Tarkovsky's attempts to capture time, in one such sequence, we see figures - and a dog - in a mist-shrouded pre-dawn landscape. Behind them is a farm. They do not move. The camera slowly pans through 360 degrees, and just as it returns to its starting point, the sun rises.

Qv72Z9KEpJg_zpsda2bfdb1.jpg