• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales from the Island of Serendip
4 4

8,956 posts in this topic

During the three weeks I stayed with them, we traveled extensively, from coastal regions to hill stations, from jungles to cities. We met with tribal peoples in various locales, and discussed future plans that might build on our experiences with Roshni. I continued my existential journey with the camera, compiling several photo essays on the poorest people, all the while pondering whether I was exploiting them or in some way raising awareness of their plight. You will have the opportunity to consider this for yourself in future posts.

IMG_20180626_161523843.jpg

Dooars

Dooars is an undulating plain at the foot of the Himalayas, much of which is a tropical rainforest replete with wild elephants, leopards, monitor lizards, peacocks, rhinos, poisonous snakes and buffalo. As I was later to discover, it's not the animals, but the plants you really need to worry about!  There Purnabha would be supporting a local NGO dedicated to working with very poor tribal people seeking out a subsistence living as best they can.

IMG_7525.JPG