• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales from the Island of Serendip
4 4

8,956 posts in this topic

A young tribal woman named Kuni Sikaka recently became a cause celebre when she was dragged out of her house at midnight, despite the fact that police had no warrant. She was then paraded in front of officials and local media as a “surrendered Maoist ” despite there being no evidence to support this.

dongria-paraded_article_column.jpg

After the British left, trafficking picked up as the Telugu film industry grew, based in what was then known as Madras. The picturesque landscape and cool climate provided an ideal setting for outdoor shoots, and in the early 1980s filmmakers flocked to the Araku Valley. This ended up bringing the industry in contact with the tribes.

1518672718_rangasthalam-telugu-movie-poster-actor-ram-charan-chitti-babu-will-give-you-perfect-weekend-vibes.jpg

Today she is 27, but rehabilitation for her and many other women and girls who have suffered the same fate is a distant dream. “I am now learning tailoring to support my family. I have also joined the NGO that rescued me. I hope to be a part of their team. I have decided to tour the tribal hamlets to educate young girls, and tell them not to get tricked by strangers who promise them jobs in cities.”

Post343.jpeg