• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales from the Island of Serendip
4 4

8,956 posts in this topic

Great pictures. I'm impressed about how many of your subjects were happy to pose for the camera, or didn't mind having their picture taken.

You learn more from pictures like these than from ones taken of the key streets of the city.

There are things you learn.

Try to take the shot before anyone notices. Walk softly and carry a big smile. Be ready at all times. Take the shot instantly, don't wait for a better one. Avoid the tourist areas in the city center. They are full of people who earn a living off tourists and relentlessly pester the life out of you. Might as well try to surprise a colony of meerkats.

I used a bicycle to get about, which enabled me to - quite literally - lose myself, then see opportunities from the road. Often I'd take the photos while cycling, and be off again before anyone could react.

The laborers laying asphalt were different. They had quite possibly never seen a Caucasian before. Judging by their reactions, they'd certainly never been photographed.They just couldn't figure me out.