• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,812 posts in this topic

47 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I do think Copper is doing quite well but if a book needs to be a 9.6 / 9.8 copy to warrant above $5 offers then we have to look at stuff a little closer.  I consider a book hot if there is active demand for a book and I'm not sure it makes sense discussing a book that takes a year to sell and only in high grades.

Thank you. I feel the same way. I collect (and occasionally flip) from all era's and had for a long time. If I notice a book is "hot" or selling very well and consistent (even at a low price). I will invest in copies to sell.

I don't understand when people claim "heating" books that had no sale in the past few weeks or months just because someone is selling it at a very inflated price.

My example would be Venom Lethal Protector 1. The regular direct edition is selling like hotcakes on all sites, conventions, and back bins.

I've been buying these up for about a year now and anytime I find one for 5 bucks or under I will grab it and there usually in great condition.

Common as dirt but a huge money maker because they sell. 

There's a guy her with a outdoor stand in NYC selling them for 20 bucks a pop and he's got boxes of them in high grade. He sells a few per night he told me and I believe it.

Edited by Obi-Wan
Typos

To me, a home run in this thread is one that identifies books that consistently sell in grades of VF or above.

If the book has to be NM+ or 9.8 to merit noting that it is heating up, that can be useful as well but it's only relevant if you can cherry pick high grade material consistently. Flea/tag sale/garage sale/Craigslist scroungers like me have to take what we find and work with that.

6 minutes ago, mrwoogieman said:

To me, a home run in this thread is one that identifies books that consistently sell in grades of VF or above.

If the book has to be NM+ or 9.8 to merit noting that it is heating up, that can be useful as well but it's only relevant if you can cherry pick high grade material consistently. Flea/tag sale/garage sale/Craigslist scroungers like me have to take what we find and work with that.

Unfortunately if we listed copper books (other then a few select keys) that are hot or sell well in VF/NM condition the list would be very short.  The benefit is the books are dirt cheap so if you buy a long box for $0.10 a piece and find a buyer for a few at $2 a piece then its a good sale but would I call the book hot?  Not in my book?

40 minutes ago, divad said:

And yet, most here only consider the slabbed 9.8 value as valid.:whistle:

Easier to track for sure but if NM copies (granted we are talking about E-Bay NM) are selling regularly then I'd think most people would call a book hot.  If I check and see your 9.8 copy sold for $30 and no other copy sold for over $2 then I'd not call it a hot book.  It's still a nice sale and tip my hat toward your sale but I can't call it a hot book if it happens so infrequently that it happens once in 3 or 6 months. 

I had so many Venom 1's at one point that I started leaving them in $1 boxes as I was just selling them for $3. Lately, they've been consistent sellers at $8-10 since the movie announcement and I generally sell multiples per show. 

So......................I'll agree that Venom 1 is heating up if you'll agree that it's modern age and not copper. 

1 hour ago, divad said:

And yet, most here only consider the slabbed 9.8 value as valid.:whistle:

And they would be correct, because that little 9.8 in the corner is what brings in the most money.

Mostly (:

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

Unfortunately if we listed copper books (other then a few select keys) that are hot or sell well in VF/NM condition the list would be very short.  The benefit is the books are dirt cheap so if you buy a long box for $0.10 a piece and find a buyer for a few at $2 a piece then its a good sale but would I call the book hot?  Not in my book?

I'm more a buy for a quarter to a buck each and resell them for $8-10-25 kind of guy.

1 hour ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

I had so many Venom 1's at one point that I started leaving them in $1 boxes as I was just selling them for $3. Lately, they've been consistent sellers at $8-10 since the movie announcement and I generally sell multiples per show. 

So......................I'll agree that Venom 1 is heating up if you'll agree that it's modern age and not copper. 

15-20 bucks on shop walls and outdoor vendors here in NYC and constantly selling. 

It's the people that have a peaked interest in the movie of course but also it's a very catchy and we'll known cover image.

They sell to older folks on nostalgia alone...and 20 bucks is peanuts in NY.

Oh sorry...yes 2 years into modern. I'm still learning. Thanks.

Edited by Obi-Wan
Correction

22 hours ago, divad said:

Coppers continue to rule the marketplace . . . why is this thread so dead? (Zed's dead, baby, Zed's dead.) :grin:

Ok, I'll help out... here's a few of my recent copper sales. And for @1Cool, these were not 9.6/9.8... 

Labyrinth #3 for in VF/NM for $27.50

Alf #48 in FN for $27.50

Saga of Crystar #8 in NM- for $19.50

I don't think any of those are heating up hugely based on those prices, but market strength in less than perfect grades is a good sign...

Edited by Brock

20 minutes ago, Brock said:

Ok, I'll help out... here's a few of my recent copper sales. And for @1Cool, these were not 9.6/9.8... 

Labyrinth #3 for in VF/NM for $27.50

Alf #48 in FN for $27.50

Saga of Crystar #8 in NM- for $19.50

I don't think any of those are heating up hugely based on those prices, but market strength in less than perfect grades is a good sign...

Crystar 8? Would love to get a Mark Jeweler's of that!

Edited by Obi-Wan

8 hours ago, 1Cool said:
8 hours ago, mrwoogieman said:

When look at the entire age yes I would agree, but I find $1 books all the time from Copper that sell very well. The trick is learning which books.

Those that have been here awhile pick up on them all the time. I used to have a long list, but now I have it memorized so I don't need it. More books get added all the time.

I would love to live in a large city with shops all over the place. I would clean the town out in a few months.

Edited by fastballspecial

17 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

When look at the entire age yes I would agree, but I find $1 books all the time from Copper that sell very well. The trick is learning which books.

Those that have been here awhile pick up on them all the time. I used to have a long list, but now I have it memorized so I don't need it. More books get added all the time.

I would love to live in a large city with shops all over the place. I would clean the town out in a few months.

Thing is, most casual collectors as well as shop owners has access to sights like this and use them.

Most know the issues that are selling. There either gone of appropriately priced.

The days if walking into places like Midtown Comics and Forbidden Planet and finding anything decent in a 2 dollar box is over.

As a matter of fact Midtown has a guy...not an owner that handles buying collections and updating back issue prices...and he is on top of his game.

The only time you get something good there is a book that being highly speced that they haven't caught yet. Usually new books.

40 minutes ago, Obi-Wan said:

Thing is, most casual collectors as well as shop owners has access to sights like this and use them.

Most know the issues that are selling. There either gone of appropriately priced.

The days if walking into places like Midtown Comics and Forbidden Planet and finding anything decent in a 2 dollar box is over.

As a matter of fact Midtown has a guy...not an owner that handles buying collections and updating back issue prices...and he is on top of his game.

The only time you get something good there is a book that being highly speced that they haven't caught yet. Usually new books.

Most people and places that deal in comics have no idea how to price them at all. Keeping up to date on market prices is a full time job in itself. Most of these places that buy collections off the street don't even have the time or manpower to even stock their bins, let alone accurately price everything before doing so. The keys get pulled and put on the wall, everything else just sits, waiting to be processed. 

28 minutes ago, darkstar said:

Most people and places that deal in comics have no idea how to price them at all. Keeping up to date on market prices is a full time job in itself. Most of these places that buy collections off the street don't even have the time or manpower to even stock their bins, let alone accurately price everything before doing so. The keys get pulled and put on the wall, everything else just sits, waiting to be processed. 

Logical and sound theory.That's why there not in the boxes. 

Trust me I've spent hours upon hours and days off work going threw all those 2$ boxes and even the "alphabetical bins" at the big shops like Midtown to the smaller ones like Bullet Proof in Brookyln. 

Slim pickings on anything even half decent. There's gold to be found...maybe even just some silver but people caught on years ago.

And your right they don't know how to price at all.

I see Spiderman 1 gold non-upc and Venom LP 1 non-News for 20.00 and everything selling at a premium. Even books without spec.

It's crazy really. There one place...

Mysterious Time Machine that sells silver, bronse, copper for half Overstreet. As long as it's not a high spec book. 

Edited by Obi-Wan

39 minutes ago, Obi-Wan said:

Logical and sound theory.That's why there not in the boxes. 

Trust me I've spent hours upon hours and days off work going threw all those 2$ boxes and even the "alphabetical bins" at the big shops like Midtown to the smaller ones like Bullet Proof in Brookyln. 

Slim pickings on anything even half decent. There's gold to be found...maybe even just some silver but people caught on years ago.

And your right they don't know how to price at all.

I see Spiderman 1 gold non-upc and Venom LP 1 non-News for 20.00 and everything selling at a premium. Even books without spec.

It's crazy really. There one place...

Mysterious Time Machine that sells silver, bronse, copper for half Overstreet. As long as it's not a high spec book. 

I am assuming you are the NYC area. Keep looking your area is ripe with comics. I would kill to be that large of a metropolitan area.

50 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

I am assuming you are the NYC area. Keep looking your area is ripe with comics. I would kill to be that large of a metropolitan area.

Yes Queens. I will take your word for it and Google if there's any small mom and pop shops I've missed.

I do agree that there is alot available but everything is really over priced and I get cheaper on the bay.

One advantage I do like is using Comic Conect which is actually Metropolis Collectibles so if a bid is accepted they will hold it for 2 weeks until I come in person to pay cash. Then if it's a high end book I can see with my own eyes to verify grade.

Also I should do more research  for what is "small but a good investment" to find those gems you say I'm missing.

Any suggestions? Like that might be fount in 2 buck box. 

Thanks

Edited by Obi-Wan