• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,812 posts in this topic

On 1/4/2021 at 12:38 AM, divad said:

Still not seeing any bit of reliable news from any of these.
If you go by confirmed castings, ok. But we don't know how they will be used and presumably it will be minimal screen time.

On 1/4/2021 at 2:46 AM, the blob said:

Are people who make $75K who get a stimulus check really spending it on $1500 comics? 

I've seen people in buy / sell groups stating exactly this. I would bet most make less than $75k as well.

Edited by ygogolak

5 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

I've seen people in buy / sell groups stating exactly this. I would be most make less than $75k as well.

I am citing $75K because that is the income limit for a single person to get the checks

6 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

I've seen people in buy / sell groups stating exactly this. I would be most make less than $75k as well.

Well, if you are a junior flipper, $600 is a bit of seed money to get started for sure. I've always wondered what I could do with $500-600 of initial purchases at a show with enough rinse and repeat and reinvesting. But at this point it would be hard to keep the inventory separate. It would be an interesting project.

Anyway, I still think the stimulus checks are pretty minor in terms of cash infusions into the hobby vs. $ people are saving because of not commuting, not going to restaurants, not buying lunch for work, not paying baby sitters, etc.

9 minutes ago, the blob said:

Anyway, I still think the stimulus checks are pretty minor in terms of cash infusions into the hobby vs. $ people are saving because of not commuting, not going to restaurants, not buying lunch for work, not paying baby sitters, etc.

True. IMO it is also the lack of conventions and LCS to supply the comic you are looking for. While there are other sites -- some specific to a single dealer -- the biggest game on the internet is still eBay (and it's a one-stop shop as opposed to cycling through 10 dealer sites who are probably mostly pricing based on eBay anyway).

If you *need* a TMNT #1 you look on eBay and there are limited options; as they get bought up the FOMO kicks in and off we go.

Just now, manetteska said:

True. IMO it is also the lack of conventions and LCS to supply the comic you are looking for. While there are other sites -- some specific to a single dealer -- the biggest game on the internet is still eBay (and it's a one-stop shop as opposed to cycling through 10 dealer sites who are probably mostly pricing based on eBay anyway).

If you *need* a TMNT #1 you look on eBay and there are limited options; as they get bought up the FOMO kicks in and off we go.

Right, if you have a $2K budget for spending at conventions ... with that said, conventions are still happening, just maybe not the big ones? I am shocked the little ones in new jersey are still happening, but apparently they are.

5 minutes ago, the blob said:
7 minutes ago, manetteska said:

Right, if you have a $2K budget for spending at conventions ... with that said, conventions are still happening, just maybe not the big ones? I am shocked the little ones in new jersey are still happening, but apparently they are.

Even with the craziness in LA I still think they are having a small show there the end of this month.

I am not as attuned to small shows out in Chicagoland compared to @jsilverjanet but there has been almost nothing -- big or small -- in the vicinity since March. Including the Milwaukee area, I would say maybe 6 shows last year?

32 minutes ago, the blob said:

Well, if you are a junior flipper, $600 is a bit of seed money to get started for sure. I've always wondered what I could do with $500-600 of initial purchases at a show with enough rinse and repeat and reinvesting. But at this point it would be hard to keep the inventory separate. It would be an interesting project.

I started out ~15 years ago with about $200 in seed money and that was the first and last time I put outside cash into comics. Rinse and repeat with $200, then $400, then $800, etc. If you like selling/dealing/flipping as much as collecting/buying you can accomplish a lot given a period of years and a near-paralyzing comics obsession. :eek:

9 minutes ago, october said:

I started out ~15 years ago with about $200 in seed money and that was the first and last time I put outside cash into comics. Rinse and repeat with $200, then $400, then $800, etc. If you like selling/dealing/flipping as much as collecting/buying you can accomplish a lot given a period of years and a near-paralyzing comics obsession. :eek:

I remember! Weren't you on the ebay boards too? Or was that just donut? Your J.D. was resulting in job prospects or something? I guess the MBA worked out better? Yeah, I should have kept it all segregated and self financed, but I came into the ebay era with a a collection already. Pre-ebay it was hard to sell anything.

11 minutes ago, the blob said:

I remember! Weren't you on the ebay boards too? Or was that just donut? Your J.D. was resulting in job prospects or something? I guess the MBA worked out better? Yeah, I should have kept it all segregated and self financed, but I came into the ebay era with a a collection already. Pre-ebay it was hard to sell anything.

I was on the eBay boards. Were you as well? Man, that was a long time ago. I wonder if my/our posts are archived somewhere. My MBA was unquestionably worth it. My JD not so much. 

The financial segregation aspect was always an important part of my comic equation. While I was paying down school loans and getting established in my career, I wasn't comfortable using anything other than comic "house money" to indulge in my hobby. That mindset persisted long after it was a necessity. Comic money often goes out to pay for other things (it's funded part of my retirement for the last 5-6 years), but it's a one way door. Completely separate banks, not just accounts, helps faciliate this.

I can't express how glad I never comingled. It has made a massive difference and I would recommend any weekend warrior dealer/collector do the same. 

Just now, october said:

I was on the eBay boards. Were you as well? Man, that was a long time ago. I wonder if my/our posts are archived somewhere. My MBA was unquestionably worth it. My JD not so much. 

The financial segregation aspect was always an important part of my comic equation. While I was paying down school loans and getting established in my career, I wasn't comfortable using anything other than comic "house money" to indulge in my hobby. That mindset persisted long after it was a necessity. Comic money often goes out to pay for other things (it's funded part of my retirement for the last 5-6 years), but it's a one way door. Completely separate banks, not just accounts, helps faciliate this.

I can't express how glad I never comingled. It has made a massive difference and I would recommend any weekend warrior dealer/collector do the same. 

I was 270-13.    For the better part of the ebay era I think my selling/buying has been about a wash and possibly I sell more than I buy, but from 1993 - 1999 it was nearly all just buying.

1 hour ago, manetteska said:

Even with the craziness in LA I still think they are having a small show there the end of this month.

I am not as attuned to small shows out in Chicagoland compared to @jsilverjanet but there has been almost nothing -- big or small -- in the vicinity since March. Including the Milwaukee area, I would say maybe 6 shows last year?

There was Terry’s show in August and the small hotel show in October but that’s about it 

2 hours ago, ygogolak said:

I've seen people in buy / sell groups stating exactly this. I would bet most make less than $75k as well.

2 hours ago, the blob said:

I am citing $75K because that is the income limit for a single person to get the checks

Yes, $75k is the max.
"I would bet most make less than $75k as well."

36 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Yes, $75k is the max.
"I would bet most make less than $75k as well."

I was more thinking about this sort of person blowing their stimulus load on a $1500 comic as per my original post, but no doubt a $75K earning comic loving nerd who is not otherwise financially desperate who gets an extra $600 to blow probably does spend it bit by bit on fun and hobbies. I am just questioning the notion that these stimulus checks are fueling the spike in online sales. I think they are a piece of it (money is money), but there are a lot of other things pushing it and most likely pushing it more. Less spending on conventions makes sense, as does less spending on bars and strippers....

5 hours ago, october said:

Funny, I have a MBA yet work in the legal world :screwy:

Anyway I agree completely that this hobby can be completely and easily self funded with strategic purchasing. Last Boston Comic Con I went to, in 2019, I brought very little cash but did bring a stack of low grade GA books that I had lying around. Nothing memorable at all but I wanted to see what I could trade them for, mostly for entertainment. After a handful of trades at various dealer booths I ended up walking out of the convention with two high grade Tick 1 Special Editions, both of which came back 9.8. Ultimately I turned maybe $150 in miscellany into a few grand when it was all said and done. Obviously there's some luck involved there and I've made some awful buys over the years but discipline is key. 

On 1/4/2021 at 7:01 PM, the blob said:

I suppose anything is possibe, but just as likely a guy who used to spend $1000-2000 a month on bar hopping, eating out, and strip clubs has extra money and hasn't blown it all on hookers and dope. Or you get a guy like me who is saving $1500-2000 a month working from home who still has a secure job (for now) and is less stressed about pulling the trigger. (And, of course, I got no stimulus check, as is the case for most white collar professionals (and blue collar ones in decent trades) who blow money on comics, $75K for a single person and $150K for a household (with 2 working adults) excludes a lot of us comic collecting nerds, especially in high COLA areas.

Seems to me it is likely a wash because, let's face it, a lot of people who may be collectors have gotten big hits on their incomes too. Practically everyone in hospitality, restaurants, TV, theatre, movies, had 3-9 months of income that was wrecked.

I guess we can do a poll on how many people here sunk their stimulus checks into comics. Yes, I know, everything can be indirect. Someone who used it to pay down their CC may feel more comfortable spending now, etc.

I think that is a limited few of comic buyers in general. Most(not all) buyers in the shops I go to don't make that type of money. Now for big purchases? Sure that income might see a reduction. Overall as some have already mentioned comic buying is way way up. 

Any seller that has been doing it for a decent amount of time will tell you the same thing. I am willing to concede the spike wont be as large as the last one, but there will be a spike at some point.

Edited by fastballspecial

38 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

I think that is a limited few of comic buyers in general. Most(not all) buyers in the shops I go to don't make that type of money. Now for big purchases? Sure that income might see a reduction. Overall as some have already mentioned comic buying is way way up. 

Any seller that has been doing it for a decent amount of time will tell you the same thing. I am willing to concede the spike wont be as large as the last one, but there will be a spike at some point.

I have not done a survey of incomes on this board, but I am going to guess the average household income of established members is [possibly well into] six figures. and yes, a lot of this has to do with the average age of boardies being about 48 and being mostly college educated professionals and those who are more blue collar running successful businesses, etc. but yeah, i agree, your average dude in the comic shop picking up his new books and maybe snagging a variant, probably not.

2 hours ago, the blob said:

I have not done a survey of incomes on this board, but I am going to guess the average household income of established members is [possibly well into] six figures. and yes, a lot of this has to do with the average age of boardies being about 48 and being mostly college educated professionals and those who are more blue collar running successful businesses, etc. but yeah, i agree, your average dude in the comic shop picking up his new books and maybe snagging a variant, probably not.

I would add that most of those buyers probably live at home and have a lot of money to spend frivolously 

at the last show I did, one of them sold me two long boxes of newer books that didn’t spec out for him for $140. I sold about 10 books to a dealer for $40 at the same show and have sold about 30 books to make up my initial investment. I still have about a long box and half of $3-$5 books for my next show

If they are anything like most of us were during our 20s, they are bad at keeping their money in their pocket

9 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

I would add that most of those buyers probably live at home and have a lot of money to spend frivolously 

at the last show I did, one of them sold me two long boxes of newer books that didn’t spec out for him for $140. I sold about 10 books to a dealer for $40 at the same show and have sold about 30 books to make up my initial investment. I still have about a long box and half of $3-$5 books for my next show

If they are anything like most of us were during our 20s, they are bad at keeping their money in their pocket

this is true. comics. bars. strip clubs. restaurants and dating. great ways to evacuate money from one's bank account.