• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

East of West
1 1

9,321 posts in this topic

General rule of thumb: When everyone you know is buying multiples, this will inflate the print run and limit upside. When there is a thread like this geared around speculation on a book that hasn't even come out yet, that makes me want to look elsewhere.

this is spot on. this is why i'd rather buy at 15% off cover after they've been printed, then pay 50% off cover before, because they'll just print that many more when printing them in the first place.

Yeah, I've been trying to figure out how companies determine the print run based on pre-orders. I know that pre-orders will inflate the print run but by what factor? It seems that on a book with a lower anticipated print run, someone who pre-orders 50 copies through DCBS could significantly increase the print run. Is anyone aware of a general rule of thumb?

General rule of thumb: When everyone you know is buying multiples, this will inflate the print run and limit upside. When there is a thread like this geared around speculation on a book that hasn't even come out yet, that makes me want to look elsewhere.

this is spot on. this is why i'd rather buy at 15% off cover after they've been printed, then pay 50% off cover before, because they'll just print that many more when printing them in the first place.

Yeah, I've been trying to figure out how companies determine the print run based on pre-orders. I know that pre-orders will inflate the print run but by what factor? It seems that on a book with a lower anticipated print run, someone who pre-orders 50 copies through DCBS could significantly increase the print run. Is anyone aware of a general rule of thumb?

not sure, but retroactively, you can check the sales on issue #2, and assume that almost 90% of the drop is speculation by owners and customers on #1. I'll check out Saga and Revival and post it here.

Revival

-----------

1 - 18,039

2 - 10,486

42% drop - huge speculation

Saga

-----------

1 - 37,641

2 - 36,885

2% drop - almost no speculation

That says a lot about why 1st print revivals took so long to start climbing, SO many that needed to be worked through from the speculators.

Current sales:

Saga: 46,000

Revival: 14,000

10,000 subscribers can't own a 1st print of Saga, that explains ALOT lol

4,000 revival subscribers can't have a number 2 1st print, also very interesting.

Edited by CBT

I'm not sure you can say that the small drop in Saga means there was very little speculation. There was definitely a decent amount of spec buying on #1. I think many were just smart enough to pick up quantity of #2 as well.

Revival

-----------

1 - 18,039

2 - 10,486

42% drop - huge speculation

Saga

-----------

1 - 37,641

2 - 36,885

2% drop - almost no speculation

That says a lot about why 1st print revivals took so long to start climbing, SO many that needed to be worked through from the speculators.

Current sales:

Saga: 46,000

Revival: 14,000

10,000 subscribers can't own a 1st print of Saga, that explains ALOT lol

4,000 revival subscribers can't have a number 2 1st print, also very interesting.

With all these different numbers you've shown, it's crazy how #2 issues aren't worth more than #1 issues. Of course, I know everyone wants the first issue.

With all these different numbers you've shown, it's crazy how #2 issues aren't worth more than #1 issues. Of course, I know everyone wants the first issue.
Odd market factors at work. You see this going back to the early 70's #1 issues, the first issues are much easier to find but they also bring a higher price. More supply but also more demand keeps prices up and books move faster.

feels a little like Wasteland.

Is Wasteland any good?

Being a huge fan of the Fallout game series I've always hoped for a comic book based on the recent Fallout games or a post-apocalyptic title that was worth a read.

East of West for some reason reminds me of the 80s cartoon "Brave Star".

I somewhat doubt that.

WOW!!!! I remember him. Strength of the bear! Speed of the puma! Eyes of the hawk!

(thumbs u

Something about the way the guy on the East of West cover is dressed and the metallic bike he's sat on.

Just reminds me so much of Brave Star who had a metal horse if I remember correctly.

WOW!!!! I remember him. Strength of the bear! Speed of the puma! Eyes of the hawk!

(thumbs u

Something about the way the guy on the East of West cover is dressed and the metallic bike he's sat on.

Just reminds me so much of Brave Star who had a metal horse if I remember correctly.

I loved brave star. It's still on tv. It's on the Hub at 2 am on the weekends. I always catch the 2:30 show before going to bed. Definitely not planned, but it is a nice walk down memory lane.

Well, it seems to strike a happy chord with some so pre-ordered a bunch for slabbing.

Lets play this game and see what happens!

will CGC slab this months Previews?

I think they slab anything that fits into the well.

Only oversized or thickness causes problems.

Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong I'm sure! lol