• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulk, Wolverine and Spawn fans - have you seen this issue?

17 posts in this topic

On 1/17/2013 at 12:29 AM, followtheleader said:

226 is probably my least favorite swipe. The knives aren't very creative for Wolverine's claws.

Hope you grabbed one anyway, I just did a bit of shopping for this issue, and looks like mint copies are currently going for triple digits!

Although I'm pretty sure that McFarlane ONLY did the cover on this book, so it might be a perfect candidate for just printing out and framing a high resolution image of the cover ;)

Edited by StreetPreacher

36 minutes ago, StreetPreacher said:

Hope you grabbed one anyway, I just did a bit of shopping for this issue, and looks like mint copies are currently going for triple digits!

Although I'm pretty sure that McFarlane ONLY did the cover on this book, so it might be a perfect candidate for just printing out and framing a high resolution image of the cover ;)

Umm...this thread is from 2013!

11 minutes ago, Avi said:

Umm...this thread is from 2013!

Is that a problem?  I found the old thread in a search, so just figured I'd leave a comment here instead of starting a new thread about the same subject...

Hope it's not against the rules to resurrect old conversations?

I was also slightly curious if any of the OPs were still around, and who was 'smart' enough to buy #226 as it turned out to be a decent investment according to current listing prices!

I just found it surprising that this issue was currently selling for up to 3 figures, while the earlier similar swipe issue appears to currently be selling for the same price as other issues from its time period?  And I actually prefer the #37 cover, as #226 appears to have been forced to appear more similar to hulk #340?  I mean holding the 4 knives make Violator look more like he found a Freddy Krueger glove...

comic_cover_cgc_spawn_37.jpg

Edited by StreetPreacher

1 hour ago, StreetPreacher said:

Is that a problem?  I found the old thread in a search, so just figured I'd leave a comment here instead of starting a new thread about the same subject...

I was also slightly curious if any of the OPs were still around, and who was 'smart' enough to buy #226 as it turned out to be a decent investment according to current listing prices!

I just found it surprising that this issue was currently selling for up to 3 figures, while the earlier similar swipe issue appears to currently be selling for the same price as other issues from its time period?  And I actually prefer the #37 cover, as #226 appears to have been forced to appear more similar to hulk #340?  I mean holding the 4 knives make Violator look more like he found a Freddy Krueger glove...

comic_cover_cgc_spawn_37.jpg

Wouldn't call this a swipe but it has similar elements and obviously an artist (or inker) in common too...interesting that CGC thinks this is the first appearance of the Freak when that was issue 33. I also see on ebay there is an issue in the early 200's people credit as the first Freak as well...

3 minutes ago, PeterPark said:

Wouldn't call this a swipe but it has similar elements and obviously an artist (or inker) in common too...interesting that CGC thinks this is the first appearance of the Freak when that was issue 33. I also see on ebay there is an issue in the early 200's people credit as the first Freak as well...

Yeah, this is one issue that's an example of a book that I see listed for $100+ for high grade slabs, but also see decent looking raw copies pm sale for less than $20?

Edited by StreetPreacher

25 minutes ago, StreetPreacher said:

No problem at all...wasnt sure if you were aware. Not against the rules or anything like that.

Just kinda odd to reply to a comment from a 7 year old thread.

I bought 3 copies of 226 off the racks for cover in the year following its release. Picked up some more in back issue bins in 2015-2017. Then, they blew up and I started selling off my copies last year.

Same goes for the ASM 300 and Action #1 homages. Never found one of the Amazing Fantasy 15 homages, though.

Edited by BishopT

32 minutes ago, BishopT said:

I bought 3 copies of 226 off the racks for cover in the year following its release. Picked up some more in back issue bins in 2015-2017. Then, they blew up and I started selling off my copies last year.

Same goes for the ASM 300 and Action #1 homages. Never found one of the Amazing Fantasy 15 homages, though.

Here.

Spawn 221 9.8.jpg