• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who has Green Hair, wears Yellow Skin Tights with Green Striped Underwear, Red Boots and Gloves, and tops it all off with a Furry Red Cape? by screenwriter3d

10 posts in this topic

Who has Green Hair, wears Yellow Skin Tights with Green Striped Underwear, Red Boots and Gloves, and tops it all off with a Furry Red Cape?

The Creeper... a trippy Steve Ditko creation from 1968, is arguably the most bizarre character to emerge from DC Comic's Silver Age, next to Brother Power the Geek!

The Creeper first appeared in the pages of Showcase No. 73. With one of the oddest and most improbable origin stories of any comic book superhero, the Creeper is not your atypical DC costumed hero. Jack Ryder, a Gotham City TV Talk Show Host who pushes the boundaries of investigative journalism one too many times... is fired... but immediately lands a new job in all things... security? Unable to shake-off his investigative make-up, he attempts the rescue of a kidnapped scientist, Dr. Yatz, from the clutches of mobsters bent on selling his "serum" to the Soviets (this was, after-all, just five years removed from the height of the Cold War). During the attempted rescue, Jack Ryder is mortally wounded by the mobsters. In order to save his life, Dr. Yatz injects Jack Ryder with the serum which immediately gives him not only abnormal strength and agility, but a super-healing factor. Dr. Yatz also implants a device into the gunshot wound which has the added-effect of causing his costume to "appear and disappear" at will with the aid of an activator.

How wacky is all that?

But not to be outdone....

...my first exposure to The Creeper was 30 years ago in 1983, when the Copper Age Jack Ryder served as a back-up feature to Barry Allen in the pages of The Flash: 318 -- 323. That run featured Jack Ryder and his alter ego the Creeper, investigating a drug cartel selling a strange narcotic which changes young addicts into reptilian-like homicidal maniacs.

What appeals to me the most about the Creeper is how uniquely different he is from most mainstream heroes. Because of his oddball quality, I knew I had to seek out his first appearance and add it to my CGC collection. I guess I'm a sucker for the strange, freakish, horrific and grotesque. Just look at my comic collection and the "tale of the tape" says it all.

Now I will admit, to most comic fans, the Creeper isn't their cup of tea. And I don't blame them. For the most part, the writing, art, and the continuity of the Creeper character has been rather uneven. But if you never read a Creeper story, and you're willing to give it a shot... I recommend starting off with the 2006, six-issue series written by Steven Niles (30 Days of Night). It's available as a TPB: The Creeper: Welcome to Creepsville.

There is of course, the collected reprints of Steve Ditko's work on the green haired character appearing in the 2010 hardcover book: The Creeper by Steve Ditko. which includes the Showcase 73 debut, the Creeper's first six issues in his eponymous title, and a never before published work.

As for my Showcase 73... this 44 year old little beauty, with an old blue label proclaiming it's near mint grade of 9.4 with White Pages, comes by way of Pedigree Comics.

Thanks for reading and as always Happy Collecting!

SW3D

12909.JPG

See more journals by screenwriter3d

Hey SH,

Thanks for reading. Yes... I gotta admit... it's probably the longest thread title posted. :)

In his origin story... Jack Ryder actually went to a costume shop in order to masquerade at a party where he's going to save Dr. Yatz.

At the costume shop, he's given a box with odds and ends which includes:

A green wig, yellow tights, green undies, red boots and gloves, and a red goat skin cape.

He puts all this on but applies yellow make-up to complete the masquerade.

Eventually when he attempts Yatz's rescue, Yatz actually saves his life and inserts a device which allows Jack Ryder to materialize and dematerialize what he had been wearing during the insertion of this device: yellow tights and green striped undies, green wig, furry cape, and make-up as well. This becomes the Creepers definitive look and is made to look uniformly as if he has yellow skin from top to bottom. But can you imagine some weirdo with yellow skin parading around in green briefs?

SW3D

There's something majestic about a flowwing red fur cape. Maybe Batman should take note. Anyways, the obscurity of the character alone make this a worthwile read. I guess in 3 to 4 weeks when my TPB gets here I'll tell you what I think. I do have to say when I first looked at the cover of the TPB that I honestly thought it was Joker pretending to be a hero.

An amazing find that leaves me wondering and wanting to know what will be the next thing I see on here from you.

Yeah, the Creeper's cape is kind of Spawnish.

Interestingly, Captain America #21 had a villain by the name of "The Creeper" who was one of Hitlers agents.

The story here is titled "The Creeper and the Three Rubies of Doom."

21-2.jpg

Hey K-man,

Glad to hear you bought the TPB. If you're a Dark Knight fan, he makes an appearance in that rather bizarre and off-beat story. And yeah, he does look like the Joker... which is probably why Ditko and company placed him in Batsy stomping grounds.

I'm waiting for a couple of more vintage comics to come in the mail... so I'm hoping to have some more interesting things to share with you all. I'm glad to know you dig the journals I post... the feeling is mutual... there's a real tight group of collectors here that have formed a nice bond of late... It's really cool and I dig it!

Hey SH,

Thanks for sharing that Golden Age Goodie... If memory serves me correctly, the name Creeper may have first been used in a very old black and white horror film from the 30's or 40's.

Hey S99,

I live in NYC... so a guy like the Creeper blends in quite well here... but I do keep my doors locked... can't take any chances in the big city.

SW3D