• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CVA exceptional?? Really??

106 posts in this topic

from CVA, via the Clink Link

"About the CVA Sticker

CVA's proprietary, tamper-evident holographic sticker provides assurance that the comic book you own has met our strict standards for outstanding eye appeal and superior structure within the numerical grade assigned by CGC. CVA's distinctive sticker allows collectors, dealers and investors, with any level of experience, to easily identify these premium-quality examples in any grade. A CVA endorsement adds value for anyone interested in the CGC graded comic book market, buyers and sellers alike."

so... I guess its a sweet looking 5.0, is what they are saying..I would not blame Clink for these shenanigans

regardless when it comes to CVA and to this book etc I'm not buying either of them..

A CVA sticker on a mid grade book? That's hysterical.

To be fair, CVA isn't about high grade, it's about pointing out a superior example of a book for the grade given.

All joking aside, if people see this is a path to make more when selling a book, it will catch on like hot cakes and you will have a ton of people defending them.

I'd actually defend the practice *if* it took place during the normal CGC grading process instead of having some dweeb looking at the book through a slab.

The market has evolved to a point where CGC itself needs to start giving proper identification to truly exceptionally centered, struck, colored, etc. copies rather than letting some 3rd-party jump into it.

Another "superior example" of a miscut book. Ok, I officially don't feel sorry for anyone who puts this garbage on their books. If you are dense enough to actually think that this service is worth it, you deserve to be parted with your money.

Another "superior example" of a miscut book. Ok, I officially don't feel sorry for anyone who puts this garbage on their books. If you are dense enough to actually think that this service is worth it, you deserve to be parted with your money.

Aren't many CVA books fetching more money at auction?

Aren't people getting dumber? Seems the answer is probably "yes" to both questions.

Aren't people getting dumber? Seems the answer is probably "yes" to both questions.

If they are indeed selling for more (especially through sites like Clink where back cover scans are not offered) then I suppose it makes sense to get a sticker on candidate books.

I'm not using CVA (nor was I planning to) but I can understand why some people might use the service. Some people just want the best in grade and those stickers may garner a little more interest than non stickered copies.

(shrug)

I'm sure there are plenty of great examples of CVA books that adhere to their strict professional grading of front and back covers of comic books. However, a company who's entire mission statement is based on the statement of "excellent eye appeal" while letting these specimens through quality control should be questioned to whether they are truly impartial or if they just put stickers on books based on the fact that one of the owners needs to make a car payment the week your book goes in:

CVA01.jpg

CVA02.png

CVA03.jpg

CVA04.jpg

CVA05.jpg

CVA06.jpg

CVA07.jpg

CVA08.jpg

CVA09.jpg

CVA10.jpg

Yes, a miswrap is not subjected to CGC's grading - however, to "advanced" collectors (their words) miswraps are an important part of "eye appeal" - something they seem to ignore routinely, while actually professing it in their service.

CVA is clearly selling their product, but it's probably in their best interest to retool their mission statement to reflect that they consider miswrapped books very eye appealing.

If they are indeed selling for more (especially through sites like Clink where back cover scans are not offered) then I suppose it makes sense to get a sticker on candidate books.

I'm not using CVA (nor was I planning to) but I can understand why some people might use the service. Some people just want the best in grade and those stickers may garner a little more interest than non stickered copies.

(shrug)

But a CVA sticker doesn't guarantee you the "best in grade" by any stretch of the imagination :shrug:

The only thing I have ever heard that makes sense about CVA's service is that it provides people with assurance that the book looks good in-hand, as opposed to a scan on Ebay, or wherever. That does make sense, I can give that to them.

BUT, when I see books like the ones above, it makes me question their entire service - negating the benefit I just singled out. I would never pay *more* for a CVA book because I found 10 examples in 15 minutes that clearly show they put stickers on anything they want, regardless of it's eye appeal.

However, a company who's entire mission statement is based on the statement of "excellent eye appeal" while letting these specimens through quality control should be questioned to whether they are truly impartial

They can always hide behind the subjectivity of "excellent eye appeal".

The bottom line is, it's in their best interest to have as many stickers out there as possible.

The bottom line is, it's in their best interest to have as many stickers out there as possible.

Agreed. And that's the part that I don't like about what they offer - if they put stickers on everything, the "exceptional quality" is not determined by the company, but the customers who decide if they want to submit books to them.

They can always hide behind the subjectivity of "excellent eye appeal".

So...does my wife deserve a sticker?? She has excellent eye appeal :)

Need one of these?

BALLSBANG.jpg

What clowns. Can't believe that book gets a sticker. Did they ever state what criteria they use to judge exceptional eye appeal?

Whenever I think of CVA I can't help but think of some joe blow laying on a couch watching tv going through book after book about 5 seconds apiece and going "hhmmm, yeah this looks good", or " nope that's not gonna cut" and so on...

Agreed. And that's the part that I don't like about what they offer - if they put stickers on everything, the "exceptional quality" is not determined by the company, but the customers who decide if they want to submit books to them.

Exactly, it's an inherent flaw in their MO.

There's nothing wrong with the idea of distinguishing exceptional-for-the-grade copies, but this doesn't seem like the way to do it because, as JC mentioned earlier, they're not doing anything anyone else with even a little bit of experience looking at books can't do.