• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC blue vs yellow. Which do you prefer and why?

89 posts in this topic

Guys,

Like a lot of you I purchase CGC graded books. In fact that's the only thing I will purchase when it comes to back issues. I still go to my LCS but only purchase new issues or copies that recently came out. Now I understand that the yellow label is much more popular but IMO I can't understand why the overwelming majority of collectors would want to have writing on a 9.8? If someone came upon a Spider Man #1 in CGC 9.6 would they want Stan Lee to autograph the copy and have it put in a yellow label? Obviously I have a problem with someone signing their name on a comic that's supposed to be NM/M.

I know my opinion is in the super minority but I'm very surprised there is such a difference in price between them. Currently I have around 200 CGC graded comics and all 200 are blue. Even if the price was the same I would stick to the blue. Is there anyone out there that feels the same way?

Hello my friend...

I prefer blue on my collection (working on Silver Surfer 1-18 - almost there, need 10, 12, and 14 - also have a bunch of modern sets runs in progress - Saga, Revival, Bedlam), but I do have a few SS. I wanted a Stan Lee for obvious reasons (Spectacular Spiderman #1 - but would not like an ASM #1 or AF #15 SS - just wrong). It's a personal preference. Some people like all yellow, but TBP will add that once a book goes yellow, it can't go back to blue. So, overall I prefer blue. That being said, I have about 4 SS (Jergen, Lee, Trimpe, Norton/Seeley). With my Revival #3 SS, I also have a 9.8 blue label as well for consistency. With sets, all or none SS IMHO.

just my 2 cent.

Ryan

doh! FORGOT: I also have a Infinity Gauntlet #1 SS George Perez...

The yellow label is only more popular with signature collectors and speculators the comic collectors on here not so much.

I will always choose blue over yellow and generally only have a yellow slab when I have two copies or I am really keen to have a creators signature.

Blue > yellow

Even with the sketch/doodle. 99% of them are the floating head variety and ugly as hell. Possible exception are some of brangets well thought out and placed chew sketches although I'd still prefer blue.

Modern books yellow, anything older blue. I dont feel the need to get every book signed, I just want to collect the signatures of my favorite artists and writers. Once I've collected them all I will most likely only collect blue labels.

For the record, there are a few signatures that are worth quite a bit. Alan moore, sam kieth, stan lee... Just to name a few. Not to mention celebrities.

Also there are a few sketchers who draw some really cool floating heads.

i think getting silver age signed is a bit of a blasphemy, still working on my inhumans 70s run but it has to be blue.

+1

Guys,

Like a lot of you I purchase CGC graded books. In fact that's the only thing I will purchase when it comes to back issues. I still go to my LCS but only purchase new issues or copies that recently came out. Now I understand that the yellow label is much more popular but IMO I can't understand why the overwelming majority of collectors would want to have writing on a 9.8? If someone came upon a Spider Man #1 in CGC 9.6 would they want Stan Lee to autograph the copy and have it put in a yellow label? Obviously I have a problem with someone signing their name on a comic that's supposed to be NM/M.

I know my opinion is in the super minority but I'm very surprised there is such a difference in price between them. Currently I have around 200 CGC graded comics and all 200 are blue. Even if the price was the same I would stick to the blue. Is there anyone out there that feels the same way?

Why would you say Yellow is more popular?