• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Indie Coppers so bad that they are actually...well...they are just bad...
3 3

522 posts in this topic

...but they are still AWESOME! I have recently become obsessed with all these incredibly bad self-published coppers that appeared as soon as everyone realized that if a series like TMNT could do it, well obviously anyone can! Incredibly bad art, bad characters, bad printing, all the better!

There is something simply fascinating and beautiful about these books and the effort that went into creating these books. I absolutely love collecting and finding new books. I did see a few of these mentioned in another thread, but I could not find it again.

So, I thought I might share some of my favorites and see if there was any similar interest or thoughts on these.

Apologies in advance if any of the creators of these are on the boards (from my lurking I'm pretty sure some are).

Here's a few to start, one of my personal favorites, Cosmos #1. Anyone who remembers the 80's, remembers this dude and dudette with their feathered hair blasting past them in their Firebird on the highway:

iEuygAK.jpg

Animism?:

Se3HJSI.jpg

Drifters (I have no idea what's going on here except the 80's):

ge9gqBC.jpg

Marco the Metamorphic Manatee, yes that is a boat propeller in his hand that he uses to defend manatees of course.

veP48PB.jpg

The Last Generation, this is probably one of my favorite covers of all time "Chill out wolf-dude. It's not worth it" :

tgIzb8U.jpg

Plenty more, if there is interest?

The Last Generation, this is probably one of my favorite covers of all time "Chill out wolf-dude. It's not worth it" :

tgIzb8U.jpg

Plenty more, if there is interest?

I personally know Mitch Foust, the artist. He's an airbrush artist from Memphis.

He used to own a t-shirt shop called Animated Jacks.

I haven't talked to him in a long time. One hell of a nice guy, though.

I actually inked a couple of copper indies back in the late '80s/early '90s.

One of them I have a xerox copy of the interior pages, but unfortunately I don't have a copy of the actual printed book.

As I said, I love this cover. I actually think this cover art is awesome, but most of these books are generally considered just horrible. I liken it more to outsider art, and as an illustrator myself I appreciate them all.

So, you going to fess up to what indies you inked?

I can't remember the names of them. The one book I have xeroxes of probably has the title in it.

I'm at work, so I can't give the name of it until I get home in a few hours.

I'd die to actually find a printed copy of it.

The others, I doubt I'd ever be able to remember.

I inked a few more for Star Cross Studios in the early 2000's.

I have a copy of a calendar that I did a few months on, but don't have copies of the comics I did.

One of the artists on those was something like "Joe Spicer," if I remember correctly.

I can't remember the names of them. The one book I have xeroxes of probably has the title in it.

I'm at work, so I can't give the name of it until I get home in a few hours.

I'd die to actually find a printed copy of it.

The others, I doubt I'd ever be able to remember.

I inked a few more for Star Cross Studios in the early 2000's.

I have a copy of a calendar that I did a few months on, but don't have copies of the comics I did.

One of the artists on those was something like "Joe Spicer," if I remember correctly.

DiceX sig series . . . :o

tgIzb8U.jpg

I sent a full set of this series to someone as part of their Christmas present two years ago. It wasn't a horrible series compared to the massive mess that started to appear in the late 80s. Supposedly, there was a portfolio as well I tried to track down.

thelastgenerationportfolio.jpg

In researching the series, I had happened across this article with interviews.

The Last Generation (1986 - 1989): A Case Study of the Challenges of Independent Comic Book Creation in the 1980s

There is actually a small club of forumites that were invited to sign what was considered THE WORST indie book ever created. I know it went over 7-8 signatures, and folks were forced to read it first before they were allowed to sign. This fine piece of shyte work was mailed across the United States for victim reader enjoyment, and even made it over to the UK for a few signatures.

3-5-12-08.JPG

The Boss even has to deal with a giant cockroach in one part of the book. It was HORRIBLE!

crying_and_rubbing_eyes.gif

:headbang:

I love copper books like this! I think I have a few more of the Animism books.

While digging through some boxes at a show couple weeks back I bought a copy of Duckbots (80's Blackthorne). The guy I bought it from looked at me like I should be wearing a helmet.

I put this up in moderns that are hard to find, but I found out its not..,

I do think it just might belong here though.

7c27bab9465f3dd1861abdb86f5be3a9_zps33eb91d2.jpg

Yes! I think that was the post where I thought this definitely needs it's own thread. I've got my Dober-man issue around here somewhere....

I sent a full set of this series to someone as part of their Christmas present two years ago. It wasn't a horrible series compared to the massive mess that started to appear in the late 80s. Supposedly, there was a portfolio as well I tried to track down.

In researching the series, I had happened across this article with interviews.

The Last Generation (1986 - 1989): A Case Study of the Challenges of Independent Comic Book Creation in the 1980s

There is actually a small club of forumites that were invited to sign what was considered THE WORST indie book ever created. I know it went over 7-8 signatures, and folks were forced to read it first before they were allowed to sign. This fine piece of shyte work was mailed across the United States for victim reader enjoyment, and even made it over to the UK for a few signatures.

The Boss even has to deal with a giant cockroach in one part of the book. It was HORRIBLE!

crying_and_rubbing_eyes.gif

Thanks for that link, that's an interesting read. And the Last Generation Portfolio has definitely been added to my wish list, that's got to be great stuff. I've also had the Hey Boss on my wish list for awhile now, just haven't run across a copy in the cheap bins yet.

:headbang:

I love copper books like this! I think I have a few more of the Animism books.

While digging through some boxes at a show couple weeks back I bought a copy of Duckbots (80's Blackthorne). The guy I bought it from looked at me like I should be wearing a helmet.

Had to look the cover up, ha!. I'm not convinced all of us here shouldn't be wearing helmets.

tgIzb8U.jpg

Wow...I remember buying this because it reminded me of Gamma World.

I don't know if I should be :facepalm: or :banana:

tgIzb8U.jpg

Wow...I remember buying this because it reminded me of Gamma World.

I don't know if I should be :facepalm: or :banana:

Nothing wrong with Gamma World :cloud9:

gammaworld3rdbox.jpg

Round 2:

Saga of Elf-Face:

2Tf78oV.jpg

Mysticman, straight from the xerox to your hands:

giiugC5.jpg

Chuk the Barbarian:

L19fZZH.jpg

A little later (91' I think?), but still probably still a copper, SkyHopper:

EvM2Ebn.jpg