• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sellers that don't ship worldwide: It's time to change your mind !

72 posts in this topic

Why would I want to fling Khaos across my cage?

Bug, if you ever even BREATHED on me, I would first punch... well, let's be honest. If you ever even breathed on me I would probably drop dead on the spot. Gingivitis like yours I would not wish on my worst enemy. (Not even you, you filthy man juice belcher.)

Re: What's up with Canada?

I suppose we have our dead-beats like any other country.

I used to email ahead to see if a seller who advertised "USA shipping only" would ship and eventually got tired of asking because no one had a problem with it. So, I ignored it. Of all the books I ever won, the only one who had a problem with it, refused my bid and re-listed the book after leaving negative feed-back. She said I ruined her auction. But...

I was the only bidder.

If some-one else had bid on the book I figured, yeah maybe I did ruin it. But nobody did. She re-listed the book and it sold for the same price as my bid, which was the minimum bid price. Why did I ruin her auction. Or, was she just being spitefull. I emailed her to try and find out, but she never got back to me. Maybe like you she had a bad experience. Dont know.

Bug, if you ever even BREATHED on me, I would first punch... well, let's be honest. If you ever even breathed on me I would probably drop dead on the spot. Gingivitis like yours I would not wish on my worst enemy. (Not even you, you filthy man juice belcher.)

What???.........you lick my butt all day long like a dog in heat.......and then have the nerve to complain about my breath?..........I mean.......you do it so much that If you didn't have a SHlT COVERED tongue, it would be hard for people to recoginze you.

THAT'S your butt??? Man, you need to put up some signs or something

Hey.....just because you see a hole cut in some wood with a butt on the other side of it.....doesn't mean you have to lick it........whether there's a sign or not. tongue.gif

By the way......they're called latrines.......and you're not supposed to go down inside them.

She sounds like a person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point to me tongue.gif I was just joking about the Canada thing grin.gif Every country has their share of losers and I am not about to generalize everyone into one category based on one sales experience. tongue.gif

My main problems with international bidders have been as follows:

1. They don't read any of my notations on shipping, assume the $6.50 U.S. Priority Mail shipping charge is exactly the same for them, and pay me via PAYPAL, money order, cash, etc., without e-mailing first for an estimate on int'l shipping. Pain in my butt.

2. They complain after they've already won the auction because the shipping costs are more expensive.

3. They send me a money order NOT in U.S. funds. I've had this happen 2-3 times, actually.

4. They have some elaborate way they want their item shipped, which usually involves me putting the package on a slow boat to save them a couple bucks. Then they pester me wanting to know where their book is.

5. Worldwide shipping is a little dicier, IMO. I've had a couple of packages returned to me, despite having addressed them properly. Then I either have to ship them back out at MY expense, or convince the int'l bidder that I'm not trying to scam them for more money if I ask them to pay for it.

6. I swear to god the Canadian post office drops their packages out of a plane. Despite packaging EXTREMELY well, I've had two auctions to Canada get damaged along the way.

I stopped accepting int'l bids for a while, then decided to try it again, and immediately started having a bunch of the same problems. I was THIS CLOSE to cutting the int'l bidders off again, but I've decided to keep with it. The main drawback is that it seems to me int'l bids are trouble more often than U.S. bids are. They are more likely to be a problem, IMO.

I've had my share of problems with international bidders as well... and to me that includes US bidders! I get so few Canadian customers that it isn't worth my while to list to Canada only, but I also get a lot of customers in Belgium, France and the UK, so I would be stupid to exclude them.

Sure I get deadbeats from Europe, but I get a lot more from the US then I do from anywhere else in the world since % wise I deal with Americans more than another nationality.

I've had international buyers ask for the cheapest shipping rate possible and then they complain about slow delivery or lost packages. Now I don't even offer the rate any more without making sure that they understand the risks of asking for surface delivery.

I also make sure to include the sentence International bidders please inquire re: shipping costs. Most do, and I will look up the costs asap and get back to them. Most DO understand that it is going to cost a little more to ship overseas.

Don't even get me started on US bidders sending USPS domestic money orders to Canada where they are completely worthless. "Negotiable in US and its territories" does not include Canada.

I've never had a problem with Canada post delivery with my auctions. Receiving items they may be a little too eager to open them up, inspect them and nail me with an import charge but they've never lost or damaged an item sent. In my real job I arrange for the sending and receiving of hundreds of letters, forms and questionnaires to patients and their family members and we rarely have problems with Canada Post. (Although we do factor in a lost mail percentage into our response rates).

Kev

I've had bad bidders from Europe, Canada and the US. Bad bidders are not exclusive to any nationality. I've been very fortunate with shipping, though, as so far I've yet to receive a complaint. And I do use the priority/global priority envelopes with cardboard. I use extra backing boards, 2 pieces of cardboard and wrap it all in bubble wrap before cramming it in the envelope and it is virtually unbendable.

I've got a bidder right now who is telling me how he wants things packed, after he paid me. I explained that I'll conform to his wishes, but it will most likely cost him more in shipping. My shipping rate is only valid if I get to choose how I ship. I haven't heard back from him yet. Personally, I think someone should check feedback before giving shipping directions (my feedback is full of "outstanding shipping/packing" type comments). But I also understand why someone might not think to do that. I'm guessing he was burned in the past by bad shipping. His way also means I have to use up more of my shipping supplies (I don't charge handling, so this is out of my pocket). I've had people make specific shipping requests in the past and I'll admit that bothers me a lot more than international orders, or filling out forms, etc. I like the way I ship; I have ordered supplies commensurate with shipping in a certain way, and mailing a single raw comic shouldn't need boxes and packing peanuts, etc.

-- Joanna

I know what you mean about the shipping, and deadbeats are deadbeats - no matter where they live.

I've got art, comics and CGC packaging and shipping down to fine art. I've loaded up on supplies and the means to ensure that all of these items do not get damaged en route. I've received a number of positive comments about my packaging but I will nevertheless get someone who will spell out exactly how they want things packed.

Now usually their description isn't much different from my methods, but I will occasionally get an odd request. I will usually spell out my method to them and then let them decide if their way is any better. If they still want to go their way then I factor that cost into the shipping total before I charge them. If they have already paid then they are out of luck unless the cost is negligable or they want to send more $$.

I usually ship my CGC books in a specially designed box (looks like the kind of box that a keyboard is shipped in) and that double wells at each end make a world of difference. The books get thoroughly wrapped in bubble wrap and extra cardboard is usually put in as a buffer between the box and the bubble wrap. Those suckers aren't moving around and the books are well protected. The boxes cost about $2 each but are well worth it IMO!

Art gets wrapped in white tissue paper to protect it from the cardboard, then wrapped carefully in cardboard. I usually add additional off-size pieces to ensure that the boards will not bend, and then I seal the whole thing in a large bubble envelope (well marked as DO NOT BEND) which helps keep the whole thing within the "small packet" shipping category - especially helpful for international shipping.

I use a similar method for raw comics. If the package contains multiple comics I will place a golden-age size backing board between each bagged and boarded comic and then I will wrap them in cardboard to keep them flat and put them in bubble wrap.

Although some of those methods keep the shipping costs up - cardboard tends to make the package weigh more - the end result is better for both buyer and seller as there is little chance that these items will remain flat and undamaged and I don't have to worry about returns.

On the flip side of thing, I won't buy CGC books from someone unless I have a sense that they put some effort into protecting the book - even if that shipping charge is a little extra. I bought an ASM200 9.6 for next to nothing with a cheap shipping cost from a local seller and it showed up in my mailbox unprotected in a bubble envelope. It's a miracle that the case didn't crack... I sent him a message to say how unimpressed I was and that he should charge extra for better packaging.

Another concern I have is that people don't always understand the differences between shipping methods. An insured item will always have a tracking number, while uninsured items don't. I always seem to get buyers who pay for the uninsured method and contact me a day or two after the item has shipped to ask for a tracking number.

Kev

All my deadbeats are from the good ol' USA - home of the lazy and entitled.... and Australia where it's an island country where most nonindigenous habitants descended from criminals, and have a penchant for posting ingenuous AF 15 and ASM 1 sales all usingscans from Heritage or Comiclink....need I say more.. mad.gif