• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Transformers: Regeneration One #81 RI-B
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Hi Transformer fans!

Does anyone know if you can or could have bought #81 RI-B (blank cover) with out an artists sketch on it? The info I found says there is? I have never found one. Did it come right from IDW with a sketch on it? If it did come from IDW with a sketch on it, would it get a blue label? I have only found them to have a sketch on them? Anyone know?

Thanks a bunch!

I believe a few blank ones might have leaked out into the market (just as anything else that isn't supposed to) but what happened was this was a 1:50 sketch cover. They were blank and sent to an artist to do TF sketches on, and then sent out to the stores who ordered enough #81. .

Edited by zekebarrett

I believe a few blank ones might have leaked out into the market (just as anything else that isn't supposed to) but what happened was this was a 1:50 sketch cover. They were blank and sent to an artist to do TF sketches on, and then sent out to the stores who ordered enough #81. .

Hay thanks for the info! Would you happen to know how CGC would treat these when graded? They wouldn't get a yellow label because it wasn't witnessed. Would they get a blue because they came from the publisher with the hand drawn sketch on them? Or would it get the green label? Any thoughts?

On 2/16/2013 at 9:37 PM, AlphaPrimeIan-migration said:

Hi Transformer fans!

Does anyone know if you can or could have bought #81 RI-B (blank cover) with out an artists sketch on it? The info I found says there is? I have never found one. Did it come right from IDW with a sketch on it? If it did come from IDW with a sketch on it, would it get a blue label? I have only found them to have a sketch on them? Anyone know?

Thanks a bunch!

Good question! So as the story goes, IDW shipped 100 of these books to Dan Khanna. Dan Khanna was to draw on all 100 and ship them out to comic book stores that ordered enough. However, not enough stores ordered enough for Dan Khanna to run out of copies. The result is that Mr. Khannah would take these books to conventions and sold every last one of them. At one point before I knew this information I contact Mr. Khannah and he confirmed he no longer has any copies of Transformers: Regeneration One #81 RI-B. 

It's worth knowing that the paper they used for this blank cover was mess. Glossy, Slick, whatever you want to call it. This is why when you search for images of this cover on google or ebay the sketches done on it are super simple. It's because the paper is a nightmare to work with.

On 2/17/2013 at 6:36 AM, zekebarrett said:

I agree with Zekebarrett here. It's very possible Dan Khannah waited until a store sold enough copies of Regen One before he drew on a cover. So if the story is true and not enough stores sold enough Regen One for all 100 copies that Mr. Khannah had, it's possible he took blank copies to conventions and to fill commission requests from the convention. This means its also possible that he sold them to fans just as blanks or someone stole some from him. Sad mess like that happens. It's also possible that IDW could have printed off extra as a just in case. With that said, believe me, or not, I have seen a blank one out in the wild. Once.

On 8/31/2018 at 4:25 AM, Serpentor said:

I am looking for a blank copy of this book, as well.  I will pay handsomely for it.

Just out of curiosity how much would you plunk down for that book? I want to know what kinda of competition I have should one ever appear.