• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

THOR 134 story - Will it realize less complete on OCAL!

92 posts in this topic

Heh. I TOTALLY sit around actively lamenting the presence of Vince Colletta at Marvel in the sixties. Different strokes! :grin:

Sounds like a sad existence. :cry:

It happened. :gossip:

Live with it. (shrug)

You have no idea how sad. It is the wailing and the gnashing of teeth 24/7. :frustrated::pullhair::facepalm::preach::ohnoez:

Heh. I TOTALLY sit around actively lamenting the presence of Vince Colletta at Marvel in the sixties. Different strokes! :grin:

Live with it. (shrug)

You have no idea how sad. It is the wailing and the gnashing of teeth 24/7. :frustrated::pullhair::facepalm::preach::ohnoez:

lol

What are your thoughts on George Roussos? hm

Hope I'm not sending you over the edge . . . :grin:

I was just reading the last few posts and thinking Vinnie wasn't THAT bad... But really, Kirby's pencils were able to survive even very crude inking, unlike some artists'. Colletta over Kurt Schaffenberger on Jimmy Olsen was just an eyesore.

I've always thought the first full view of the wolf-man at the end of this story "I feel.... I HATE!" was one of Kirby's creepiest panels.

Live with it. (shrug)

lol

Hope I'm not sending you over the edge . . . :grin:

Nobody bugs me like Vinnie does. I even sort of like Roussos on that FF 23 splash that C-Link has. See, Vinster doesn't just hack the job out like everybody else. To my mind he actively UNDERMINES Kirby's intent with his crappy little pointless hatch marks and oblivious fudging of Kirby's decisive strokes and his bleeping ERASING of parts of Kirby's most majestic body of sustained work. It is a historic tragedy. :)

I was just reading the last few posts and thinking Vinnie wasn't THAT bad... But really, Kirby's pencils were able to survive even very crude inking, unlike some artists'. Colletta over Kurt Schaffenberger on Jimmy Olsen was just an eyesore.

I've always thought the first full view of the wolf-man at the end of this story "I feel.... I HATE!" was one of Kirby's creepiest panels.

As I said a few posts ago . . .

As a small child, reading those stories, I hardly think debating the merits of the different Kirby-inkers would have been to the forefront of my mind anyway.

At that age, I just enjoyed the stories - and Kirby's pencils provided the right visuals (inkers aside) to complement Lee's writing. Don't ever recall the young Terry Doyle thinking, "Jeez, Colletta's inks are brutal!" He was an inker I mostly identify with the look of Kirby's Thor (for good or bad (shrug) ).

Years later, as (older) discriminating artwork-collectors, yes, our focus does change.

Retrospectively, looking back as an adult, I can certainly appreciate why Vinnie's not everyone's cup-of-tea. But what's done is done, and you can't change the past.

Kirby was very prolific. If Vinnie's partnering of Jack isn't for you, there are other pages out there to pusue - even from Thor.

If I don't like the art, I don't buy it (or go out of my way to look at it). I mean I like Spider-man, but would never dream of buying examples from a whole ruck of artists who followed-on from Ditko or Romita.

Just my 2c

Reading Thor when they came out wasn't my favorite book, too much mythology. But I always liked colletas classic inking as it fit the dated/historic quality of the stories. I wasn't concerned with how much of Kirby's lines were being obscured or omitted. The were 8 other Marvels out each month, most of which had Kirrby artwork, which, frankly as a DC kid, was ALL very sloppy looking!

So colleta, at the time was just fine to look at. Hey, Dandy Don Heck was the guy we all loved to hate!

I think that today, for you guys buying Kirby OA, Collettas work galls you because he has messed up a collectible opportunity, right? All you can see is a piece of art that otherwise would be valuable and desirable..I can see that. You want a Kirby page, but not one in which Kirby's work is obliterated.

I think that today, for you guys buying Kirby OA, Collettas work galls you because he has messed up a collectible opportunity, right? All you can see is a piece of art that otherwise would be valuable and desirable..I can see that. You want a Kirby page, but not one in which Kirby's work is obliterated.

I guess, for me, it's different reading the comic where the artwork is colored over, the original paper was junk, and the size is shrunken down so small, than it is looking these SA sized pages.

The original artwork has no color to disguise anything, and it's proportions allow the person holding it to really see the work that was put into the piece. Instead of it being part of a larger story in book form, it's now a stand alone image or set of images where the way they are drawn and (especially) inked stand out dramatically.

It's even more drastic a distinction when you compare the smooth, steady, complimentary work of Sinnott or Stone to some of Vince's more "rushed" work.

Reading Thor when they came out wasn't my favorite book, too much mythology. But I always liked colletas classic inking as it fit the dated/historic quality of the stories. I wasn't concerned with how much of Kirby's lines were being obscured or omitted. The were 8 other Marvels out each month, most of which had Kirrby artwork, which, frankly as a DC kid, was ALL very sloppy looking!

So colleta, at the time was just fine to look at. Hey, Dandy Don Heck was the guy we all loved to hate!

I dont doubt it I just mean with todays eyes

I guess, for me, it's different reading the comic where the artwork is colored over, the original paper was junk, and the size is shrunken down so small, than it is looking these SA sized pages.

The original artwork has no color to disguise anything, and it's proportions allow the person holding it to really see the work that was put into the piece. Instead of it being part of a larger story in book form, it's now a stand alone image or set of images where the way they are drawn and (especially) inked stand out dramatically.

It's even more drastic a distinction when you compare the smooth, steady, complimentary work of Sinnott or Stone to some of Vince's more "rushed" work.

I think you nailed it, for me anyway.