• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone know anything about John Forte, LSH artist?

12 posts in this topic

The Legion was far and away my favorite book as a youngster, and many of my favorite early stories are drawn by Mr Forte. He appears to have been a mainstay at DC yet a web search reveals almost nothing about him.

Anyone know much about him or have any articles been written on him/ Thanks.

I've read lots of books and magazines and can't recall any more than minor mentions of him or his art. :sorry:

Thanks for all the responses, but I'm more eager to find out something about the man, not his credits.

If you haven't seen this, there is a short bio of Forte in the Legion Companion. You can read most of the details via google books preview here:

http://books.google.com/books?id=lEWHfXUwUAwC&lpg=PA36&dq=%22john%20forte%22%20artist&pg=PA36#v=onepage&q=%22john%20forte%22%20artist&f=false

Some details:

Born Oct 6, 1918 in Rockaway, Long Island.

Attended an art school called Art Career School in NYC.

Earliest known work is illustrations in the pulp Future Science.

Served as an army infantryman in WWII, took part in the D-Day landings at Normandy.

Drew the illustration for the cover of the 1950 hardcover Conan The Conqueror.

Was diagnosed with colon cancer in 1963, had two surgeries, and died on May 2, 1966.

Numerous other details at the link.

134746.jpg.71236726e0f167e665b85456ed8a86f6.jpg