• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

11th Annual Washington DC Comic Art "Cherry Blossom" Get-Together April 13

9 posts in this topic

Hi folks, once again, it is that time -- Spring is upon us and that heralds in the annual DC Comic Art Cherry Blossom Spectacular. Chuck Costas hosted it for 10 years (if my count is right) but now that he is on the West Coast, he asked if I would begin hosting and I am happy to do so.

Here is the good news, the DECK and GRILL are back as I have both a deck and a gas grill so there will be plenty of great food. After talking with Chuck, we think the best date for this year is: Saturday April 13th at my home in Bethesda

Could folks let me know if that seems like a good date -- I've got plenty of room at the house (and a deck and grill so some of the highlights from Chuck's will continue) -- I don't yet have any special guests lined up but I'm working on it -- if there are artists that people know who they would like to invite, I’d love to have them as the relaxed atmosphere is one of the great things about the event. I do want to continue what Chuck started a few years back and make sure we do something to give back and raise money for the Hero Initiative as well so I’ll be collaborating with Kevin Brogan to set that up.

Anyway, please get back to me and let me know if you can make it on April 13th for the CHERRY BLOSSOM COMIC ART Gathering. If not, please suggest dates that would work better for you. I will follow-up with a confirmation e-mail within a week finalizing the date and details.

Michael Finn

Michael, I feel honored to have you continue the tradition. I hope those that never attended will take the opportunity to attend this year. There's nothing quite like haveing a bunch of comic art guys around just super excited to be surrounded by art, friends and food!

I would love to make it down again but have prior immovable commitments on the 13th (and the 6th), unfortunately. If it were held on the 20th (or the 7th, 14th or 21st) I'd be able to make it down - just throwing it out there in the event that those alternate dates work better for others as well.

- Gene

August is typically the hottest month in DC. So, be warned!

As far as areas to stay, I'd suggest:

1) Arlington, VA - there are a few hotels near the Key Bridge - allows you to walk over the bridge to Georgetown and you usually get a nice view of the monuments from there. Lots of great restuarants and shops in the Clarendon/Courthouse area. Rosslyn, Clarendon and Courthouse metro stations are nearby.

2) Crystal City/Pentagon City, VA (Alexandria) - also have metro stations nearby (Crystal City and Pentagon City). Not as nice to walk around, but a lot of hotels nearby and restaurants.

3) Woodley Park, DC - Nearby to the Zoo, Adam's Morgan (where there are some eclectic bars and restaurants) and DuPont Circle. A couple miles away from the monuments, but more in the heart of the city. The Woodley Park metro station is nearby.

4) Bethesda/Chevy Chase, MD - A few miles further out, but Bethesda is where the nightlife is on the Maryland side near the border of DC. Upscale shops in the Friendship Heights area which is right on the border of DC. Bethesda, Medical Center, and Friendship Heights metro stations are nearby.

Hope that helps!

Hey, tangentially related to the topic, my family and I will be vacationing in Washington DC in August—can anyone recommend a nice area that is also reasonably close to museums and monuments?

Thanks,

Scott