Marilyn Monroe for the win! (Teen-Age Diary Secrets #6 auction)
3 3

119 posts in this topic

3,751 posts
12 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

A little unfortunately, the indica for this one states Teen-Age Diary Secrets #5, even though it is the reprint of the #6.  As such it will show up on the census under #5, Canadian copy.

But at the end of the day - everyone who sees it knows it for what it is, regardless of the label. 

I knew a lot of the Canadian reprints had different number so thanks for this. I still didn't see anything on the census...but thanks for the quick reply, Dr. Love! (worship)

4,286 posts

It's the first Canadian copy of #6 I've ever seen or heard of.  I actually think it's rarer for that reason - and from the pic it looks way nicer than the 6.0 copy on Ebay now for $3,275.

Edited by Dr. Love

6 posts

Greetings all,

Hope you are all having a Merry X-mas with your loved ones, I received back my CANADIAN EDITION copy of TEEN-AGE DIARY SECRETS #5 (IDENTICAL COVER AND CONTENTS TO TEEN-AGE DIARY SECRETS #6) got a nice grade of 7.5, but I had put a note on the book, e-mailed and even called CGC to make sure they put on the label that this was Marilyn Monroe on the cover (which they mention on the CGC census of this book) with Matt Baker art. But the label came with no mentions. Got a few other Matt Baker books as wel, TEEN-AGE ROMANCES #9 5.5 with the infamous "hold " cover and the highest graded copy of TEEN-AGE ROMANCES #10 at 8.5....:) I will be putting these up for auction in the new year, anyone interested, please contact me and I will notify you when I put them up for auction. Cheers, Maurice

DSCN0990.JPG

DSCN0993.JPG

DSCN1036.JPG

DSCN1014.JPG

11,523 posts
21 hours ago, Momochan said:

Hope you are all having a Merry X-mas with your loved ones,

DSCN0990.JPG

DSCN0993.JPG

DSCN1036.JPG

DSCN1014.JPG

Is cover on left (Young Romance #63)  possibly Marilyn :wishluck: Nov. 1953?

RIa2Zxk.jpg

4,286 posts
1 hour ago, aardvark88 said:

nah

4,608 posts
On 12/25/2019 at 10:00 PM, Momochan said:

Greetings all,

Hope you are all having a Merry X-mas with your loved ones, I received back my CANADIAN EDITION copy of TEEN-AGE DIARY SECRETS #5 (IDENTICAL COVER AND CONTENTS TO TEEN-AGE DIARY SECRETS #6) got a nice grade of 7.5, but I had put a note on the book, e-mailed and even called CGC to make sure they put on the label that this was Marilyn Monroe on the cover (which they mention on the CGC census of this book) with Matt Baker art. But the label came with no mentions. Got a few other Matt Baker books as wel, TEEN-AGE ROMANCES #9 5.5 with the infamous "hold " cover and the highest graded copy of TEEN-AGE ROMANCES #10 at 8.5....:) I will be putting these up for auction in the new year, anyone interested, please contact me and I will notify you when I put them up for auction. Cheers, Maurice

DSCN0990.JPG

DSCN0993.JPG

DSCN1036.JPG

DSCN1014.JPG

CGC makes no mention they are Canadian editions. 

6 posts
2 minutes ago, comicnoir said:

CGC makes no mention they are Canadian editions. 

Yeah, very odd.

4,286 posts

Yeh not so odd. They constantly and consistently miss the SDD print on the cover. But they should be labeled as Superior books, that is the publisher.  Rather than labeled as St. John or even St. John, Canadian edition. Which they are not.

The OP is known to me through ebay, as momocomics. I've bought a few books from him and I've got to say he's got some of the largest and nicest offerings of canadian "editions" of romance books that I've seen on ebay in all the years I've been looking.

4,608 posts
18 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

Yeh not so odd. They constantly and consistently miss the SDD print on the cover. But they should be labeled as Superior books, that is the publisher.  Rather than labeled as St. John or even St. John, Canadian edition. Which they are not.

The OP is known to me through ebay, as momocomics. I've bought a few books from him and I've got to say he's got some of the largest and nicest offerings of canadian "editions" of romance books that I've seen on ebay in all the years I've been looking.

When they see the Superior on the indicia on the inside cover along with the Toronto address, geniuses in Sarasota might figure it out.

4,286 posts
13 minutes ago, comicnoir said:

When they see the Superior on the indicia on the inside cover along with the Toronto address, geniuses in Sarasota might figure it out.

Yeh it's not a good look. I've also had more than one exchange with Matt on the subject. And yet here we are.

11,604 posts
On 11/19/2018 at 5:37 PM, Robot Man said:

Wow, I didn't realize I had this beater...

comteenagediarysecrets9.jpg

All i can say is if that's Marilyn there, I just don't see it as she sure looks quite different from the classic Marilyn which I am use to.  ???

1,723 posts
On 12/25/2019 at 9:00 PM, Momochan said:

Greetings all,

DSCN0990.JPG

DSCN0993.JPG

DSCN1036.JPG

DSCN1014.JPG

Either the Canadian issues are sized differently, or CGC has figured out how to put these books into smaller slabs. Up until I saw this post, I thought they were still putting these oversized books into magazine slabs. Maybe a year ago I asked CGC about a smaller slab and was told no, not possible 

EF082FD0-7AA2-4CE3-8986-B8049C926BED.jpeg

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

4,286 posts
2 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Either the Canadian issues are sized differently, or CGC has figured out how to put these books into smaller slabs. Up until I saw this post, I thought they were still putting these oversized books into magazine slabs. Maybe a year ago I asked CGC about a smaller slab and was told no, not possible

Either the Canadian issues are sized differently

this

1,862 posts
16 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

RIa2Zxk.jpg

Can't be sure, but the guy looks a bit like Rory Calhoun. I don't believe he and Marilyn made any films together.

4,286 posts
9 hours ago, lou_fine said:

All i can say is if that's Marilyn there, I just don't see it as she sure looks quite different from the classic Marilyn which I am use to.  ???

she had plastic surgery in the early 50's

norma.thumb.jpg.32afc536cf3af97ffe1986cfe34adf77.jpg

Edited by Dr. Love

11,604 posts
3 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

she had plastic surgery in the early 50's

norma.thumb.jpg.32afc536cf3af97ffe1986cfe34adf77.jpg

Any idea if this was done by the husband and wife team at IGB, as this looks to be an extremely extensive restored PLOD job where you can't tell what's original from what's been recreated when you compare the two pictures?  lol  :p

6 posts

I had sent back my copy of TEENAGE-DIARY SECRETS as it did not have any mention of MARILYN MONROE PHOTO COVER or MATT BAKER ART on the LABEL. CGC really came through and added them. I am very pleased...:) Will be putting up for auction in the next few weeks. Cheers, Maurice

DSCN1154.JPG

DSCN1155.JPG