• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2013 May 16 - 17 Vintage Comics & Comic Art Signature Auction

348 posts in this topic

... And there's this from the Kirby Collector #23:

"Marvel’s Official Avengers Index lists Avengers #17 as having Kirby retouching faces, primarily on the Mole Man. It sounds far-fetched, and looks as though Kirby must have done the retouching with his hands tied behind his back, but who can disprove it?"

I thought the panel page from Ghost Rider (1990) # 6 went cheap, given that it was by Texeira, the iconic artist from the series, and featured both Ghost Rider and the Punisher (a fact that the Heritage description curiously overlooked).

Had I thought it would sell for under $450, I would have bid on it.

So bummed. Only bid on 1 lot

I set my internet bid because I didn't think I'd make the live auction...

Get home from picking up the kid from daycare. Check and to my results, and it says I won!

sucks...

But there will always be another, and it wasn't a huge page for me (or the wallet)

So how does that happen if you are notified that you won ?

Can't recall the exact term but doesn't Heritage allow some of their top customers to bid again on items that they may have just missed? It was mentioned on these boards before years ago.

I thought the panel page from Ghost Rider (1990) # 6 went cheap, given that it was by Texeira, the iconic artist from the series, and featured both Ghost Rider and the Punisher (a fact that the Heritage description curiously overlooked).

I will never understand this. The effort of entering a $450 internet bid was just so potentially exhausting that it outweighed the benefit of the very slim possibility of winning it at that price?

With those out of consideration, I can't see any sign of Jack layouts under Heck in #17. Whether Jack "had input" in the inaugural story of the new line-up, I guess there is no way of knowing.

I still dig that page, probably the best (Heck) page in the book, along with the splash.

best

Aaron

Aaron, here are the two references I found that say Kirby did layouts for #17, but I'm inclined to believe that these are instances of someone's online speculation being quoted and reposted as gospel. Wish I knew what the source of this claim was.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Kirby_bibliography

http://www.avengerschronology.com/details_issue_chronology.asp?id=A-1-N-0017

It wouldn't be incorrect to list the book as having pencils by Kirby & Heck although the Kirby pencils were drawn for another book. They're not exactly reprinted either, since the two books were out more or less simultaneously. But the panel arrangements alone rule out Kirby layouts for me on most pages. Those page designs are totally Heck-errific!

I will never understand this. The effort of entering a $450 internet bid was just so potentially exhausting that it outweighed the benefit of the very slim possibility of winning it at that price?

Not for me, it is far too easy to enter internet bids.

To the point that I won a page, that I had little expectation to win. No live bids on it :tonofbricks:

lol

Not for me, it is far too easy to enter internet bids.

To the point that I won a page, that I had little expectation to win. No live bids on it :tonofbricks:

lol

In my case, it wasn't laziness, but budgeting. I had a strict budget of $400-$650 for this entire auction, and several things on my want list.

When the internet bidding on this page ended two hours before the live auction started, I presumed it would go for a much stronger price in the live auction, particularly given the strong run up in the last hour of internet bidding.

Forced with a choice, I bought two Golden Age books for ~$450 total--in the live bidding that were collectively ~30% under market value.

Had I known ahead of time that the Ghost Rider/Punisher page wouldn't receive _any_ bids in the live Heritage auction, I would have passed on the Golden Age comics and gone for the original art page instead.

Sort of the opposite of delekkerste's "price discovery."

This is the essence of decision making with imperfect information.