• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2013 May 16 - 17 Vintage Comics & Comic Art Signature Auction

348 posts in this topic

Just got in to see the Sienkiewicz NM Painting at 9K with the juice already. Wow that's way more than I thought it would close at given the 29 sold for 3K (should have hit it one more time against the Donnellys in '08) and the 31 sold for 4.3K a few years ago.

Scratch that one off the bid list :insane:

Just got in to see the Sienkiewicz NM Painting at 9K with the juice already. Wow that's way more than I thought it would close at given the 29 sold for 3K (should have hit it one more time against the Donnellys in '08) and the 31 sold for 4.3K a few years ago.

Yeah, I love that cover but even after logging on shortly after the online bidding went live, it was already at $9K, too high for me to even put in a tracking bid.

Yeah, I love that cover but even after logging on shortly after the online bidding went live, it was already at $9K, too high for me to even put in a tracking bid.

Painted Sienk NM covers have been routinely selling for over $10K for a few years now. I expect this one to go for over $15K, so the current high bid is not that surprising. Early...yes, surprising...no. (shrug)

The X-Men #113 page is just pure awesome and already over $13K! Any thoughts on where this might end up at?

My gut reaction, initially upon seeing the quality of that page, was that it was a $20k piece at minimum and more likely $25k+.

Painted Sienk NM covers have been routinely selling for over $10K for a few years now. I expect this one to go for over $15K, so the current high bid is not that surprising. Early...yes, surprising...no. (shrug)

hm I don't know if I'd agree with the word routinely in that sentence. I understand the market is in flux but both the previous NM painted covers failed to reach 5K and the Conan painting Heritage had at the end of 2012 sold for 3K if I remember and that one was pretty fresh. I also do not think this the best painting in the NM run, I mean I think its great but unless you are a cloak and dagger fan its not a great team shot. That said, as Gene has pointed out, in the current climate nothing surprises me anymore. I'd say well sold on that one, even though it will not hammer for 3 weeks :grin:

Say, comix4fun -- what do you think that early Bolland 2000AD cover will go for?

It's a crazy, fun cover, and from what little I've observed, early 2000AD covers are tough.

I guess? I dunno, it just doesn't do it for me personally. If I was going to pay 30 grand for that wolvie/magneto and others battle page, I'd have to mentally value the admittedly outstanding perez cover to 112 (wolvie/magneto and others battle cover) at 4 million. :insane:

I guess I've just never understood the appeal of the x-men books, although I do love me some classic era byrne.

I guess? I dunno, it just doesn't do it for me personally. If I was going to pay 30 grand for that wolvie/magneto and others battle page, I'd have to mentally value the admittedly outstanding perez cover to 112 (wolvie/magneto and others battle cover) at 4 million. :insane:

I guess I've just never understood the appeal of the x-men books, although I do love me some classic era byrne.

Well, I think that's the problem. It's difficult to put a market value, at times, or to make sense of it, when it's art you are not into.

I don't get why people would pay thousands for adam hughes to draw boobs, but to each their own...