• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A comic artist on Lichtenstein

26 posts in this topic

well, with warhol the first thing that comes to mind is Marilyn. That's an original image as far as I know (although probably based on a photo) as are the similar colored silkscreens of other celebrities.

So I would guess that people acknowledge a larger element of originality with some of Warhol's best known works than with Lichty. (I'm not going to get into whether Lichty was original or not; just saying I think Warhol is acknowledged as being 'more' original).

well, with warhol the first thing that comes to mind is Marilyn. That's an original image as far as I know (although probably based on a photo) as are the similar colored silkscreens of other celebrities.

So I would guess that people acknowledge a larger element of originality with some of Warhol's best known works than with Lichty. (I'm not going to get into whether Lichty was original or not; just saying I think Warhol is acknowledged as being 'more' original).

Not original at all. Mechanically reproduced (photo-silkscreen) from a magazine photo. Less changed (by scale & color) than the completely redrawn comic panels of Lichtenstein.

"...the image can be put on the screen photographically, which is what Warhol did, thus mechanically reproducing his source. In 'Marilyn Diptych' this was a still photograph of Monroe in the 1953 film Niagara. "

from the Tate Britain website description of Marilyn Diptych 1962.

http://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/warhol-marilyn-diptych-t03093/text-illustrated-companion

It begins with this comment:

"More than any other Pop artist Andy Warhol presented his subject matter so as to appear so close to the original, in paintings so remote from existing ideas of composition and execution, that the work seemed to many people to be disqualified as art."

Not original at all. Mechanically reproduced (photo-silkscreen) from a magazine photo. Less changed (by scale & color) than the completely redrawn comic panels of Lichtenstein.

lol sweet! I should have known ;)

thanks.