• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who make the decision to assign a first appearance?

23 posts in this topic

been thinkin bout this since the wolverine 180/181 first app. thread.

there is no consistency to assinging a first appearance, Bishop in uncanny 282(i think) is in 1 panel and thats his first appearance.

I think Wolverine is in more than 1 panel in hulk 180 and thats NOT his first appearance.

So who decides this? Robert Overstreet? Wizard? Comics Buyers Guide? Big Time Dealers? Publishers?

I seriously want to know!

there is no consistency to assinging a first appearance, Bishop in uncanny 282(i think) is in 1 panel and thats his first appearance.

I think Wolverine is in more than 1 panel in hulk 180 and thats NOT his first appearance.

So who decides this? Robert Overstreet? Wizard? Comics Buyers Guide? Big Time Dealers? Publishers?

I think it's fair to say that traditionally most people follow Overstreet. CGC seems to almost always follow Overstreet in its label notes.

I think it's fair to say that traditionally most people follow Overstreet. CGC seems to almost always follow Overstreet in its label notes.

Except when it comes to the grade.

lol

A first app. is either a 1st or it isn't. Hulk 180 IS Wolverine's 1st appearance-- it's not open to debate. HOWEVER, Hulk 181 is Wolverine's most valuable appearance... and that is decided by the marketplace. Overstreet doesn't claim 181 is Wolverine's 1st app.-- he cites it as his "first full" appearance. Sometimes the marketplace likes a cameo 1st app., sometimes it doesn't...

The comic book collecting community decides which issue is going to be the one in demand by how much money they are willing to part with to acquire it.

Dont wanna start an argument, but for the minority which believes that hulk 180 is Wolvie's first, are they wrong? or that Iron Man 281 is War Machines first, are they wrong, because they also are part of the comic book collecting community.

But in the same way for the folks who believe uncanny 283 is Bishop's first, are they wrong?

Or is there anyone acutally wrong or right, and its all up to the individual collector? Like you state, if they want to spend thier money on it, it's thier own decision, Isn't it?

i so confoosed :screwy:

A first app. is either a 1st or it isn't. Hulk 180 IS Wolverine's 1st appearance-- it's not open to debate. HOWEVER, Hulk 181 is Wolverine's most valuable appearance... and that is decided by the marketplace. Overstreet doesn't claim 181 is Wolverine's 1st app.-- he cites it as his "first full" appearance. Sometimes the marketplace likes a cameo 1st app., sometimes it doesn't...

But dont the notes on Giant Size X-Men 1 state Wolverine's 2nd appearance?

A first appearance is a first appearance. One panel, one page, a cover, or a cameo; it doesn't matter. Buying collector's have deemed that Hulk 181 is the in demand book, even though it's technically Wolverine's 2nd appearance. That's why the CGC differentiates it with 1st appearance and 1st "full" appearance. However, as you noted, there is no consistency. Par for the course.

DiceX does (worship)

And those who question my authority soon make their LAST appearance. :sumo:

2nd full appearance ... which is just what Overstreet says.

Second "Full" appearance.

DiceX does (worship)

And those who question my authority soon make their LAST appearance. :sumo:

:whatev: ... zzz

i mean that's the 3rd comic (4th is you include the flashback in 182), that wolvie appeared in, but it's his 2nd appearance?

Wats Up Wit Dat?

Nincompoopidity.

:roflmao: ok that one made me laugh

Second "Full" appearance.

Yeah, everybody knows that. :D

I don't speak officially for The Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide. When I was previously the managing editor for Gemstone Publishing there was a time when a number of errors were corrected in the Guide. The specific error in the Guide was regarding the term cameo appearance. In older editions Hulk #180 was listed as a cameo appearance of Wolverine. The reason The Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide changed Hulk #180 from cameo to brief first appearance is that by definition a cameo appearance is of a known person or character. It was incorrect to call Hulk #180 a cameo as no one knew who Wolverine was until that issue.

A tremendous amount of work goes into producing The Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide each edition. Each year I personally supply Gemstone Publishing with data as I discover it. The great thing is that since 1970 when Bob created the Guide he has always been open to input and data and that is what has improved the Guide each year. I'd strongly suggest if you find something that you think is an error or possibly data that should be considered for future editions that you contact Gemstone Publishing at feedback@gemstonepub.com.

ok i got it now,

if you only appear in a panel or 2 that dont count as a "full appearance,"

you have to appear on the cover, and thru out the whole book to count as a "full appearance"

So FF 49 is Galactus' first appearance, but ( and my memory aint great) the Surfer didnt appear in FF48 until late in the book, but thats his first "full appearance"

This is stupid!

if a character is in more than 1 panel it should be 1st appearance PERIOD.

a cameo app. is only 1 panel. 2 is NOT a cameo

my 2 cents.