• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Damned Oni Press

86 posts in this topic

Thanks bro....the art is so detailed it's amazing. I can't stop staring at the shading.....the patterns in the carpet.....and the shadows on the walls.

It's completely stunning. Even my wife who has little appreciation for such things said "how is it drawn with such precision?" There's very little residual pencil and it appears as if every single line was drawn with pen or brush without second guessing.

For my wife to be kind of taken aback I know it's not just me being a fanboy. :)

Well said. That's how I feel about so much of Brian's work. His line work is flawless, and that DPS is a stunning example. I can get lost in all the little lights on the marquee, and I love the halo effect around the headlights.

Well said. That's how I feel about so much of Brian's work. His line work is flawless, and that DPS is a stunning example. I can get lost in all the little lights on the marquee, and I love the halo effect around the headlights.

Well Court, I have you to thank for all these beautiful pieces....couldn't have done it without you.

I agree about getting transfixed on all the little details....it's as impressive as anything I've seen in a museum.

I also wondered how he accomplished that halo effect around the headlights....up close it looks a bit like white-out but it's clearly something like white marker or brush. I'm not familiar with the tools these artists use, but I'd love to know how that was done.

I've not seen alot of that before on other OA and it's truly compelling as a finished product....just brilliant!

Hey everyone, new to the board. Just got my Damned and Prodigal Sons back. Damned 1,2 and Prodigal Sons 1 came back 9.6 so they're up for sale. Damned 3,4 and 5 as well as Prodigal Sons 2 and 3 came back 9.8, so those are keepers lol I was amazed they did so well considering their age and the fact that I didn't press them. Glad someone took a minute to start a thread for this book. Loved it for years now.

The Damned already being in development at Showtime, it didn't really pop until the news broke about TSG, you're right there. I honestly think there's going to be a natural pull back on prices no matter what happens. The apparent demise of the TSG show has left a lot of folks holding a VERY big bag. That in combination with the recent flood of books as a result of prices jumping, in addition to the typical slow down with the summer season approaching, is cooling the prices. I do see that they're still selling. One thing that should be kept in mind I guess is that up to this point the VAST majority of all sales have been raw books. Raw books that have been sitting around for 5-7 years, not copies freshly off the shelf. The dynamic here is a little different than your typical market. These books being much older, it's going to be harder to find a copy someone may look at and say, "I NEED to get this graded" or "This book could be a 9.8.", so when the third installment of the series comes out, and the buzz builds for the series again, I'd expect any high grade slabbed books to go for a premium simply because there won't be many of them out there. A serious lack of high grade supply is a major factor this series has going for it regarding prices, as opposed to these other series like East of West and Saga. One could also EASILY make the argument that a "horror" pilot (Walking Dead, The Damned) has got a much greater chance for success than a "fantasy" pilot (TSG, Chew). Unfortunately what gets lost in conversations like these is that this is a damn good series. Ultimately, if the attention this book gets, for whatever reason, gives it a broader fan base and more love, then I'm all for it. I'm a noir/horror fan and there aren't NEARLY enough stories of this quality, in this genre, out there.

Just arrived today, big thanks too you-know-who!

tHEDAMNEDPRODIGALSONSISSUE1PAGE5A_zps6c07c760.jpg

The final panel is finished with an overlay from The Damned issue 5 panel 9 - The picture of Eddie, his Mother, and his Brother.

Also, a re-post for this thread - The Damned 1 pgs 13/14/15 - "The Final Deal"

THEDAMNED1PAGE131415_zpsf89d0c28.jpg

Cheers!

Just arrived today, big thanks too you-know-who!

tHEDAMNEDPRODIGALSONSISSUE1PAGE5A_zps6c07c760.jpg

That's crazy. Just two hours ago I was reading this issue for the first time on my commute home -- got to that page and thought "wow, great page".

Congrats! (thumbs u

Nice pages bro!!!! Uber cool if I do say so myself.... :)

Thanks! As far as my favorite all-time damned pages, this ranks a close 2nd for me. Right behind a certain sombody's "We will take the book now" page at #1

(worship)

Cheers!

Nice pages bro!!!! Uber cool if I do say so myself.... :)

Thanks! As far as my favorite all-time damned pages, this ranks a close 2nd for me. Right behind a certain sombody's "We will take the book now" page at #1

(worship)

Cheers!

LMAO!! Well I'd just say we both have some killer damned OA....

I do have to admit that I have a particular fondness for the page you speak of as well though. It's got a very eerie and at the same time extraordinarily beautiful layout.

That said, all of Hurtt's work is spot on. If I could own all the pages out there still unclaimed, I would.

Hopefully Hurtt gets back on this series and continues to dazzle us with his penned prowess.