• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rat Queens - Kurtis J. Wiebe, Meg Dejmal, John Upchurch
2 2

1,617 posts in this topic

As a big fan of this book (and PP) - that hurts.

I can accept the decision as long as there's not a new title coming out in the near future from Kurtis. Whilst Image is by far and away my favourite publisher, they do have a tendency to put zero focus on finishing out titles properly, and huge investment in a never ending conveyor belt of new titles.

I get that sales can be a defining factor, but if I was building a strategy for Image I'd make one of the goals to have less #1 and more #30+. I really feel that readers would be more loyal to the titles they enjoy if the weren't constantly having to reevaluate their pull list to accomodate more new titles from their favourite artists.

PP was two issues from completion when the book became no longer financially viable for the artists. I get that, but surely Image needed to step in at the time and fund the last two issues for the sake of their brand and their audience.

First ever rant. Apologies.

I completely agree. To kill Panzerfaust with 2 issues left actually shows a pretty high degree of disregard for loyal customers. And as far as Kurtis being busy, maybe he should lay off the Dming and be more committed to his projects.

:jokealert:

From Bleeding Cool

"His other Image title Peter Panzerfaust also remains on hiatus, But hid new book with Mindy Lee, Bounty is for Dark Horse Comics and out in June instead."

Oh man. I now have three titles by Kurtis in my 'Maybe one day' pile. I forgot about Pisces. That died after #3... Still hoping all three make a comeback, but may have to take a pass on Bounty. Not seeing much incentive to start a new title.

As a big fan of this book (and PP) - that hurts.

I can accept the decision as long as there's not a new title coming out in the near future from Kurtis. Whilst Image is by far and away my favourite publisher, they do have a tendency to put zero focus on finishing out titles properly, and huge investment in a never ending conveyor belt of new titles.

I get that sales can be a defining factor, but if I was building a strategy for Image I'd make one of the goals to have less #1 and more #30+. I really feel that readers would be more loyal to the titles they enjoy if the weren't constantly having to reevaluate their pull list to accomodate more new titles from their favourite artists.

PP was two issues from completion when the book became no longer financially viable for the artists. I get that, but surely Image needed to step in at the time and fund the last two issues for the sake of their brand and their audience.

First ever rant. Apologies.

I completely agree. To kill Panzerfaust with 2 issues left actually shows a pretty high degree of disregard for loyal customers. And as far as Kurtis being busy, maybe he should lay off the Dming and be more committed to his projects.

:jokealert:

From Bleeding Cool

"His other Image title Peter Panzerfaust also remains on hiatus, But hid new book with Mindy Lee, Bounty is for Dark Horse Comics and out in June instead."

Oh man. I now have three titles by Kurtis in my 'Maybe one day' pile. I forgot about Pisces. That died after #3... Still hoping all three make a comeback, but may have to take a pass on Bounty. Not seeing much incentive to start a new title.

Bounty is a mini. I asked him at ECCC

So irritated....

PP more so than anything. So ridiculous.

I can't even explain how annoyed I am about this. I am from Vancouver, so I see him at local shows all the time, but I always just say hi instead of expressing my displeasure (in a nice way). The amount of unfinished Image series that I have is making me rethink my loyalty to the company for sure.

It would be understandable if the title could not continue due to low sales, serious illness, or something else that drastically impacted the creators' ability to sustain themselves. But this is a title with a solid following, some of the better selling Image TPBs, and Comichron numbers ranging from 14K for Issue 9 to just under 12K for the latest one. These are very decent numbers unlike other recent series like Five Ghosts where the sub-5K monthlies justifiably impacted the creators' ability to continue.

Very disappointing to hear this news and just an additional reminder that some creators fail to realize that their past behavior may haunt them in future pursuits.

It would be understandable if the title could not continue due to low sales, serious illness, or something else that drastically impacted the creators' ability to sustain themselves. But this is a title with a solid following, some of the better selling Image TPBs, and Comichron numbers ranging from 14K for Issue 9 to just under 12K for the latest one. These are very decent numbers unlike other recent series like Five Ghosts where the sub-5K monthlies justifiably impacted the creators' ability to continue.

Very disappointing to hear this news and just an additional reminder that some creators fail to realize that their past behavior may haunt them in future pursuits.

Solid statement. Plus One!

Look. I get all this vitriol. I don't know why it's me that gets sole blame here.

Panzerfaust IS happening. We had to take a break because there was NO money in it. How was Tyler supposed to support his family on $300 an issue? I'm making the finale happen by funding it myself. I'm committed to finishing that series.

Pisces was awful life circumstances. Johnnie lost his father and I was in the middle of a legal battle to get a squatter out of my house in Saskatoon.

And Rat Queens has been hell, regardless of its sales. I just need a break from trying to make it work so I can regroup and refocus.

As for Bounty. It's the best thing I've written. And five issues will be done before t even comes out.

Sometimes I'm to blame, but I've had a very run of luck the past two years.

Edited by Kurtis Wiebe

Look. I get all this vitriol. I don't know why it's me that gets sole blame here.

Panzerfaust IS happening. We had to take a break because there was NO money in it. How was Tyler supposed to support his family on $300 an issue? I'm making the finale happen by funding it myself. I'm committed to finishing that series.

Pisces was awful life circumstances. Johnnie lost his father and I was in the middle of a legal battle to get a squatter out of my house in Saskatoon.

And Rat Queens has been hell, regardless of its sales. I just need a break from trying to make it work so I can regroup and refocus.

As for Bounty. It's the best thing I've written. And five issues will be done before t even comes out.

I'll still buy Rat Queens if you bring it back. I think you're getting a lot of heat as a convenience - many of us are disappointed with Image as a whole and their inability to (for whatever reason) run series for much more than a year or two.

As I stated earlier, you're not on my personal 'creators to avoid' list. I still have hopes that, if enough time passes, Roc can make a return to the title.

With regards to the particulars you mentioned, hang in there, things will look up.

Hey Kurtis, big fan of RQ here. As many here are (this threads length is testament to that)

I dont think anyone "BLAMES" you for anything. We may have concerns about the series based on things that happened to a book that we all love. Its natural, and if we hadnt expressed concern, it wouldnt show that we care.

I hope things pick up for you, but none of this is our business. Its your personal life man.

All we're asking is to see the characters and stories that we came to love continue to flourish AND FOR YOU TO SUCCEED IN YOUR ENDEAVORS.

Our money is on Rat Queens. If Image doesnt want to support it, take it to Kickstarter. We'll be there

Fair enough, but as a business Image need to maintain the integrity of their brand.

They should have jumped in immediately and funded the last two PP issues so you guys could finish on schedule. They should be encouraging you to complete the current RQ arc before putting the title on hold.

And they should be enquiringly about Pisces. Ten months since the last issue is a long time if the primary reason is because Johnnie's father passed. That's an awful thing for anyone to go through, but most if not all of us on these boards have employers who would expect us back at work after a few weeks (hope that doesn't make me sound like a jerk).

Maybe I don't fully inderstand the role of Image.

I think you're getting a lot of heat as a convenience - many of us are disappointed with Image as a whole and their inability to (for whatever reason) run series for much more than a year or two.

This is precisely why I do not buy Image books to read/collect any longer off the rack. If I am not too late, I am happy to pick up spec copies of the latest #1 that spikes and flip them for a profit. Otherwise, wait for a bit and you can snag them for $1 or less at shows.

The whole Image model is a meat grinder for talent. Yes, there is freedom to pursue your own creative interests, but there is no floor to support creators when their titles dip in popularity. At that point Image has already moved onto X number of new #1s to displace/replace them. It is funny and sad - Image is a business model that eats its young to a certain extent. With limited $$$ to go around there are only so many new minis/series that can be supported by the reading/collecting community. Each new round of #1s cannibalizes the sales of the previous favorites. The publisher makes their cut, but the creative talent has to reinvent itself continuously unless/until they hit it big with a concept.

Edited by kimik

Fair enough, but as a business Image need to maintain the integrity of their brand.

They should have jumped in immediately and funded the last two PP issues so you guys could finish on schedule. They should be encouraging you to complete the current RQ arc before putting the title on hold.

And they should be enquiringly about Pisces. Ten months since the last issue is a long time if the primary reason is because Johnnie's father passed. That's an awful thing for anyone to go through, but most if not all of us on these boards have employers who would expect us back at work after a few weeks (hope that doesn't make me sound like a jerk).

Maybe I don't fully inderstand the role of Image.

I'm not sure any of us do, and very honestly I'm not sure all of the creators do either. I think part of the problem is that the 'relationship' might be defined differently depending on the terms of each contract signed by the creators, and even then might be different for each book created. Add that to the fact that many of the creators are not 'business' people, and you have a situation ripe for gaps in understanding between creators AND editors AND Image.

Note: The above is not meant to be a shot at Image or any of its creators. I appreciate the freedom and creator rights that are keystone to Image are valuable commodities that can create truly original and interesting art. But at the same time, sometimes a firmer infrastructure with more resources can provide a framework that provides a better recipe for both commercial and artistic success and customer satisfaction.

If Image doesn't think something needs to be done, they're wrong. Many of the best titles (including RQ) seem to not be capable of meeting their deadlines (some for good reasons), and it absolutely impacts the sales of future series. It absolutely means that more of us wait for TPB's, but that also means that some otherwise good titles might not even make it to tpb's...because they didn't sell enough comics.

As someone who has put their time into reading the RQ books and money into buying the same RQ books (TPBs, multiple floppies and a CGC 9.8 slabbed #1), I am just glad to hear it's on hiatus.

Thank you Kurtis for clearing the issues up and sorry to hear about your run of bad luck!

While I do see some of the 'vitriol' that has been stated, most of us still seem to be pro-Image/Weibe.

As fans, we love the books. As fans, we hate the delays. You brought good news (that it's only on hiatus) and bad news (that it's on hiatus). True RQ fans will still be here when it starts again, just as PP fans look forward to that next issue.

Keep on keepin' on.

So irritated....

PP more so than anything. So ridiculous.

I can't even explain how annoyed I am about this. I am from Vancouver, so I see him at local shows all the time, but I always just say hi instead of expressing my displeasure (in a nice way). The amount of unfinished Image series that I have is making me rethink my loyalty to the company for sure.

Maybe it's just me but I think quite a few people kinda just expected a number of Image titles would either stall or finish early but probably didn't think it was worht voicing it much. There's what 3 or 4 image titles in the top 100 that are in double digits? That's not to say there aren't any long running current ongoing series... Walking Dead, Saga, Invincible, Revival (hats off to Seeley and Norton that's good going), etc... however it's plain to see at the outset they are putting out indie books with a small creative team so they aren't all going to run like clockwork and they aren't all going to finish.

Sorry to hear you have had some tough breaks. Trying to get squatters out sucks. When I moved house years ago I decided to rent out my original property rather than sell and we had tennants at one point that decided not to pay and just squat for months. Thankfully that is all behind us now but we still curse a lot if the subject ever comes up. It's a really really situation.

I haven't kept my finger on the online pulse regularly but from what I have read I can imagine that RQ (enjoyable as it has been) behind the scenes has taken a lot of effort to keep going. Best of luck with PP... a couple of titles that I really love have been really stop start over the years but still have me waiting on them e.g. "The Stuff of Legend" 2009 (#1) - present (#15)... taking a long break doesn't mean it won't happen.

I'm sometimes surprised that creators still bother to post here. Don't get me wrong, I think it's great to see the interaction but I can understand why a lot just don't and prefer to keep to their own chosen social media format. Then again if you have people who are passionate about your stories... can't be all bad right? *sigh* Being able to reach out and communicate with anyone anywhere is pretty powerful and on this messageboard with that power comes great irresponsibility :insane: but not all the time... :)

Maybe it's just me but I think quite a few people kinda just expected a number of Image titles would either stall or finish early but probably didn't think it was worht voicing it much. There's what 3 or 4 image titles in the top 100 that are in double digits? That's not to say there aren't any long running current ongoing series... Walking Dead, Saga, Invincible, Revival (hats off to Seeley and Norton that's good going), etc... however it's plain to see at the outset they are putting out indie books with a small creative team so they aren't all going to run like clockwork and they aren't all going to finish.

I know. It is like when I go see an indie film, and it finishes 20 minutes before the end.

Edited by ridersrohan