• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cartoon Art Museum San Francsico: Superman 75th Anniversary

32 posts in this topic

I am a tourist in this city and visited the Cartoon Art Museum in San Francisco. Lo and Behold, there was a 75th Anniversary Superman original art exhibit that is running up to September. The original art there was simply amazing and a lot of iconic stuff. I thought not many have the privilege to visit the place so I will share this with the readers. Some of the original art here include:

Joe Schuster

Neal Adams

Jon Bogdanove

John Byrne

Giordano

Murphy Anderson

Curt Swan

Kurt Schaffenberger

Jerry Ordway

Dan Jurgens

Brett Breeding

Kevin Nowlan

Dennis Rodier

Dave Cockrum

Joe Staton

Nick Cardy

Ross Andru

Kerry Gammil

Dennis Janke

Jesus Merino

Walt Simonson

Gene Colan

Mike Mignola

Alex Ross

I am sure I am missing some out. Key original pages include those from David Mandel's collection, including Man Of Steel 1 to 6, and Superman 423. Also shown are art from editor Mike Carlin's collection (mostly grails!) and Jon Bogdanove's art.

Here are the pictures:

s1_zps7b0f334e.jpg

Cartoon Art Museum

s2_zpsa9dbe958.jpg

Superman Poster Outside

s3_zps8b0cc348.jpg

Entrance

sDSC00383_zps03b6a7f2.jpg

Beginning of the exhibit. The Golden Age covers are reproductions, not originals.

sDSC00367_zpscfc223f9.jpg

Exhibit Write-Up

sDSC00386_zps356c9b27.jpg

The Silver Age Wall

sDSC00378_zps9a5f3fba.jpg

The Silver Age Write-Up

sDSC00381_zps48f6ed54.jpg

Superfriends Wall (right) and Bogdanove / Jurgens stuff (left)

sDSC00350_zpscf1118e2.jpg

SuperFriends Write-Up

sDSC00384_zps4e725b81.jpg

Another View of the exhibit just after the entrance.

sDSC00385_zpsc7c26e18.jpg

Man of Steel 1-6, along with some Jurgens/Ordway stuff on the right wall.

sDSC00387_zps661e4681.jpg

Superman in Movies and TV Corner

sDSC00398_zpsf02b910f.jpg

Movie Still from 2013 Man of Steel (left), Fleisher carttons showing (middle), and Mike Carlin collection (right)

sDSC00443_zps90527c83.jpg

The Nineties wall with Jurgens stuff and some battles with Doomsday

If anyone is in the Bay Area, you owe it to yourselves to visit the place.

Cartoon Art Museum

cartoonart.org

655 Mission St San Francisco, CA 94105

(415) 227-8666

I actually enjoyed it so much that I went there three times! I took so many more pictures include up close shots of the original art. Let me know if you want me to share that as well.

Oh man how I wish I could go check it out. Thank you very much for posting the pics. I would appreciate if you wouldn't mind posting more pics. Especially ones showing the work by Jurgens, Breeding, Ordway, Bogdanove, Gammill, Janke, and Rodier.

I was just there yesterday myself... didn't take any pictures so glad you did. Good to relive the memories. Yes, David Mandel, Mike Carlin and some others lent some very nice items to the exhibit to fill it out. I even lent one little piece myself (hint, it's in color)! I'm glad when I can lend something to the Art Museum for others to enjoy. I'd recommend it to other collectors out there.

Share more of your photos!

I will do so in due time. Not easy to take photos. I only used a compact camera, and lighting was not too good in the museum. I also edited and cropped them in Photoshop to make them more presentable here.

Oh man how I wish I could go check it out. Thank you very much for posting the pics. I would appreciate if you wouldn't mind posting more pics. Especially ones showing the work by Jurgens, Breeding, Ordway, Bogdanove, Gammill, Janke, and Rodier.

...and for the photo requests, I will put these artists on the top of the pecking order since you were the first to request.

I even lent one little piece myself (hint, it's in color)! I'm glad when I can lend something to the Art Museum for others to enjoy. I'd recommend it to other collectors out there.

I am guessing the Joe Shuster or the Alex Ross. Hmmm....

Ok let me start filling some requests.

Again the disclaimer: I was using a compact camera, the lighting was not so bright in the museum, and all the pieces were framed behind the glass. In instances where you see white spots, those are not art blemishes but just the reflection of the bulbs. I cropped the pictures to take out the frame matting and tried my best to adjust in photoshop to make it look presentable.

From Mike Carlin's collection:

sDSC00252_zpsac9cf61e.jpg

Superman 31, Kerry Gammil & Dennis Janke

sDSC00253_zps68029cd9.jpg

Superman 50, Jerry Ordway

sDSC00254_zps71e66e90.jpg

Superman For Earth, Jerry Ordway

sDSC00256_zps9ae176f1.jpg

Action Comics 663, Kerry Gammil & Dennis Janke

sDSC00258_zpsaba8f417.jpg

Death of Superman Poster, Dan Jurgens & Brett Breeding

sDSC00262_zps7c6f4afa.jpg

Newstime: The Life and Death of Superman, Dennis Rodier

The rest below are not from his collection...

sDSC00314_zps3bcbe6a6.jpg

Superman Promotional Image 1986, Jerry Ordway

sDSC00317_zps90e70d39.jpg

Adventures of Superman 458, Dan Jurgens & Jerry Ordway

sDSC00320_zpsd0a31e0f.jpg

Adventures of Superman 472, Dan Jurgens & Art Thibert

sDSC00339_zpsd7ff7636.jpg

Action Comics 674, Dan Jurgens & Bob McLeod

sDSC00344_zps68352e7d.jpg

Action Comics 831, Dan Jurgens & Kevin Nowlan

sDSC00349_zpscc34c20e.jpg

Superman The New 52 #8, Dan Jurgens & Jesus Merino

I think that about covers all of the artists bryan91 requested. More to come soon if there is a request for them.

Curt Swan and Joe Shuster?

As requested. Here is Joe Shuster:

sDSC00380_zps9488442d.jpg

Superman Sketch 1980's

..and here is Curt Swan.

sDSC00268_zps611d4b7e.jpg

Action Comics 583, Curt Swan & Murphy Anderson

sDSC00327_zpsd8fc4b12.jpg

Action Comics 388, Curt Swan & Murphy Anderson

sDSC00275_zps7ac776ad.jpg

Superman 394, Curt Swan & Dave Hunt

I think that covers all the Curt Swan stuff. His work was very under-represented in this display, but at least the iconic Action 583 is here (and not Superman 423 as I erroneously reported in the original post).

Let me know if there are other requests.

Actually, there was also a Sam Kieth gallery there with incredible work including his Wolverine covers from Marvel Comics presents, Sandman issue 1 page 1, and a great double page splash from Sandman 4.

But since this is a Superman topic, let's keep it at that. I'd like to know if there are other pieces you want to see but again I apologize for the picture quality.

Personally, I thought the Neal Adams piece were pretty amazing... maybe show those.

As requested, Neal Adams:

sDSC00278_zps063b80d8.jpg

Adventure Comics 366, Neal Adams

sDSC00282_zps5be331f2.jpg

Action Comics 419, Neal Adams & Murphy Anderson

sDSC00324_zps80aacbf3.jpg

Action Comics 402, Neal Adams