• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,226 posts in this topic

I've always enjoyed this cover. Curious to see if a boardie won this. Strong price for a tough to find book in any condition:

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Minoan-Tales-of-Horror-8-December-1953-Snake-around-Building-Cover/112768958231?epid=85450127&hash=item1a418dbf17:g:1m0AAOSwoFVaZVe0#vi__app-cvip-panel

Edited by Darth Corgi

1 hour ago, Darth Corgi said:

I've always enjoyed this cover. Curious to see if a boardie won this. Strong price for a tough to find book in any condition:

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Minoan-Tales-of-Horror-8-December-1953-Snake-around-Building-Cover/112768958231?epid=85450127&hash=item1a418dbf17:g:1m0AAOSwoFVaZVe0#vi__app-cvip-panel

I remember buying a copy of that book in about the same shape from eBay a few years back for $45.

The PCH market continues to explode. Some of the minor publishers that were overlooked for years are suddenly being noticed.

51 minutes ago, johnenock said:

Been looking for one of these at an affordable price for awhile. Had to buy it with tape on cover but a nice presenting copy.

adventuresintoterror20.jpg

Getting tougher and tougher to find in nice shape, congrats!

Love the Dead Duke on the cover! (thumbsu

1 hour ago, goldust40 said:

I remember buying a copy of that book in about the same shape from eBay a few years back for $45.

The PCH market continues to explode. Some of the minor publishers that were overlooked for years are suddenly being noticed.

Yes it has. I tried to snag a copy of this book a couple years back before prices started to climb but it didn't pan out. Not it's getting out of reach for good! :|

4 minutes ago, Jayman said:

Yes it has. I tried to snag a copy of this book a couple years back before prices started to climb but it didn't pan out. Not it's getting out of reach for good! :|

I'm a bit old school in terms of this corner of the market, having collected pre-code horror for the last 15 years (you can thank an article in CBM for that).

The odd pre-code book I deferred picking up back in the day that subsequently spiked to such a level has prevented me from completing sets, like COC 19. You never know which book will suddenly attain icon status...

4 hours ago, goldust40 said:

An extremely strong price for that particular book, difficult though it is. I'm a little wary of paying the strong $$$ for "suddenly noticed" covers like that, that have come up very far very fast, vs. say an Out of the Shadows #8 (I don't happen to have a copy of either.)

On the other hand, for those PCH books I've bought years ago and still have hung onto, it's fun to see price advances. There are still undiscovered gems of covers to be found, and there's always the chance of finding something like the Tales of Horror snake cover in a dealer's stock that reflects pricing from years ago. Much tougher to do that with something like a Black Cat Mystery 50 (another one I should've gotten years ago. Ah well!)

2 hours ago, goldust40 said:

I'm a bit old school in terms of this corner of the market, having collected pre-code horror for the last 15 years (you can thank an article in CBM for that).

The odd pre-code book I deferred picking up back in the day that subsequently spiked to such a level has prevented me from completing sets, like COC 19. You never know which book will suddenly attain icon status...

True enough. But part of the fun is trying to get copies before the likely spike! :)

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 6:49 PM, Robot Man said:

Wow, I never see books like that at antique malls. Lucky find and a pretty copy, congrats!

Thanks. Don't get me wrong: even though I found it at an antique mall, it was from a long-time paper dealer who definitely owns an Overstreet, but he tends to grade conservatively and seems to price things a little below guide. Makes for sensibly priced books!  :shy: