• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,226 posts in this topic

marvel%20tales%20129_zpsenoic70n.jpg

Nice pickup! I have that issue with a double cover.

Re pre/post code illustrations on Atlas -and most other- comic publications; it seems the PCH look peaked out with the August 1954 issues. At least AFA Atlas, gone were the skeletons and terrified looks.

The PCH aspects of this cover would be the skull at the bottom, bony-looking hand, and hard looks by the background characters on the left and right. Possibly also the fragmented bag.

What's funny is that while Atlas and some other publishers were putting the brakes on excessive material , EC went out with a bang. The last few issues of their horror mags were some of the most gruesome ever. Haunt of Fear 27 in particular.

What's funny is that while Atlas and some other publishers were putting the brakes on excessive material , EC went out with a bang. The last few issues of their horror mags were some of the most gruesome ever. Haunt of Fear 27 in particular.

And it was one of the few that they decided to go full page with the artwork! :cloud9:

HauntOfFear27.jpg

As much as I like ECs, can you imagine how awesome they would be without all that junk cluttering up the cover?

It's one of the reasons I lke DC 10 cent war washtones. Just the image, the price, the code and the publisher symbol.

As much as I like ECs, can you imagine how awesome they would be without all that junk cluttering up the cover?

It's one of the reasons I lke DC 10 cent war washtones. Just the image, the price, the code and the publisher symbol.

I don't mind the 3 Ghloulantics down the left side. It is so distinctive to an EC horror book.

I don't mind the 3 Ghloulantics down the left side. It is so distinctive to an EC horror book.

I have always disliked them. They are iconic and often imitated/parodied, but I wish I could see more of the underlying art. The covers are so good it's shame to obscure them.

They are ok in my book but the one cover that has always bothered me with them is HOF 17. Would love to see Ingals art underneath the Ghoulunatics!

They are ok in my book but the one cover that has always bothered me with them is HOF 17. Would love to see Ingals art underneath the Ghoulunatics!

I agree.

There was no need to flog the brand issue after issue (IMO) thereby obscuring some beautiful artwork.

Look at all that artwork restricting the text to barely more than half of the cover. rantrant

If you guys think that's bad, try out some of the Atlas books like these doozies - https://www.atlastales.com/issue/455 & https://www.atlastales.com/issue/4585

455.jpg

4116.jpg

I was about to get indignant that my beloved Atlases were about to be dissed, but that is absurd.

Atlas provides 3 extra original images on their covers and all folks can do is complain. Haters gonna hate. What can you do? (shrug)

I was about to get indignant that my beloved Atlases were about to be dissed, but that is absurd.

Atlas provides 3 extra original images on their covers and all folks can do is complain. Haters gonna hate. What can you do? (shrug)

True enough. Maybe you can never have too much of a good thing.

True enough. Maybe you can never have too much of a good thing.

It takes longer to read that cover than most modern comics.