• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic Comics # 3!!!

10 posts in this topic

Just curious, how much does a Fantastic Comics# 3 go for in the market place in low grade such as good+ or VG or even fair + restored!!! Does anybody have a idea.gif Is there any copies out there on the market that you have seen ?Is it really Scarce or just that collecters are not letting it go to market!! confused-smiley-013.gif

I would be willing to buy a restored copy at this point if it was nice!!!!

If you check my profile you'll see that it's my Most Wanted Collectible, too. Although Fantastic Comics 5 has an excellent cover as well, nothing comes close to the detail, rendering and kinetic quality of #3 - possibly the best GA cover ever, and a genuine stand-out from the other issues in the run (Fine seems to have taken a lot more care and time with this cover).

I heard that back in the early '90s Steve Fishler was buying every copy he could lay his hands on, and that it was a scarce book anyway (it's the most expensive issue in the run according to OS, but they don't list it as scarce). As a result I've yet to see one, even though I've spotted copies of other equally prized and supposedly ultra scarce trophy covers in the meantime on more than one occasion (Suspense Comics 3, Captain America 74, etc.)

I imagine that even in G (no resto) you'd be looking to fork out 2 to 2.5 X OS ($2K approx), although it's possible that at that low grade the premium may not be as steep. I'd say that in VG and above the price would become extortionate.

This is all speculation, as I just don't seem to see this book anywhere. I would be looking for an unrestored copy in VG or better, though. Yeah, I know, good luck!!

I heard that back in the early '90s Steve Fishler was buying every copy he could lay his hands on, and that it was a scarce book anyway (it's the most expensive issue in the run according to OS, but they don't list it as scarce).

That's true. I was just looking at an old Metro catalogue with Fantastic 3 on the cover, and when you got to that book in the listing, none were for sale. But the words "Wanted! Wanted! Wanted!" were printed over and over again. It is a great book.

I remember seeing a POOR copy 10 years ago that a dealer wanted $200 for. I thought that was alot back then, but I guess it would be an easy sell today.

I rememeber seeing a Detective 1 in Fair for about $600 in the late 80's. All I can say is foreheadslap.gif

But we learn from our mistakes, hopefully! wink.gifgrin.gif

I've never seen one for sale either. My guess is that anyone willing to part with a copy will charge you more than it'll be worth 10 years from now. It's not a book that you're going to just "find." At this point, anyone who's got a copy is a collector who knows what they've got and knows what it's worth to other collectors.

I sold my fair copy of #3 about 10 yrs ago for around $300 US. The Canadian dealer I sold it to quickly flipped it to Metro for more. Lord knows what Fishler sold it for even 10 yrs ago. sumo.gif

Not sure if Steve would have sold the book at that time. It seemed like he was attempting to corner the market on the Fantastic #3 at the time by buying up every single copy that came to market.

Never heard of him ever selling one of them, even though a few of them were extremely low grade.

He has a wonderful 3-D diarama of the cover

No kidding. I was staring at that thing in their offices for like 20 minutes. It's fabulous. Best diarama I've ever seen (not that that's saying much), yet another reason to swing by Metro when you're in the city.