Why does CGC refuse to grade certain books?
1 1

30 posts in this topic

128 posts

I think they could differentiate between Newsstand & Retail without distracting from the label. Just add a letter in the bottom right corner, done :)  (probably could have made that font smaller)

Or make the hologram a bit smaller, and put "Retail" / "Newsstand" underneath it.

spawn1r-n.jpg

Edited by wikked
Added info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,329 posts
26 minutes ago, wikked said:

I think they could differentiate between Newsstand & Retail without distracting from the label. Just add a letter in the bottom right corner, done :)  (probably could have made that font smaller)

Or make the hologram a bit smaller, and put "Retail" / "Newsstand" underneath it.

spawn1r-n.jpg

I don't like it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,770 posts
43 minutes ago, Les Tunes said:

To please their customers.

Okay, that was funny. While I admire and acknowledge your wit, I think you have it channeled in the wrong direction. Making fun of guys like me doesn't accomplish anything. If you really want this information on the label, try presenting a good argument.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,016 posts
7 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

And you couldn't have just answered my question without stressing the fact of how naive I am ? As you pointed out, after 18 years of grading without the notation, there would be no integrity of the data. Sure, the early submitters of the new notation would have some bragging rights for a number of years but it would truly be false advertising. BTW, the original request here was for label notes, which does not necessarily translate into the census. If they did we would have Page Quality and Pedigree census numbers.

I didn't mention anyone in particular. I most certainly didn't say anyone was naive.  I wasn't thinking it either. And  I most certainly do not believe YOU are naive. What I was thinking is a few in answering were AVOIDING the implied question. Because the competition does note newstand/direct on the label.  And that is the real question. Why doesn't CGC?  Why Shouldn't  CGC? When will - if ever - CGC do so? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,016 posts
57 minutes ago, Les Tunes said:

To please their customers.

 

2 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Okay, that was funny. While I admire and acknowledge your wit, I think you have it channeled in the wrong direction. Making fun of guys like me doesn't accomplish anything. If you really want this information on the label, try presenting a good argument.


I must be off today.... I mean isn't to please one's customers a good argument? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,770 posts
3 minutes ago, Tony S said:

 


I must be off today.... I mean isn't to please one's customers a good argument? 

Okay, this is a very strange thread for me. Maybe things are going over my head but I am trying to figure out why this is a useful thing to have on the label and nobody wants to give me a straight up answer. (shrug)  The other company does a lot of things differently than CGC.  Do we now want CGC to copy everything they do ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
128 posts
24 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Okay, this is a very strange thread for me. Maybe things are going over my head but I am trying to figure out why this is a useful thing to have on the label and nobody wants to give me a straight up answer. (shrug)  The other company does a lot of things differently than CGC.  Do we now want CGC to copy everything they do ? 

I think it's mostly the investors that care, the more writing on the label that identifies it as unique, the higher the value.

A Spawn #1 newsstand is super rare in a 9.8, and sells for a premium over the direct edition. Same with Spawn #9, which is even more scarce.

#opinion...That being said, I don't see the need for the notation though, it's plain as day whether there's a barcode or not.

angelaspawn-ns.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,770 posts
51 minutes ago, wikked said:

I think it's mostly the investors that care, the more writing on the label that identifies it as unique, the higher the value.

A Spawn #1 newsstand is super rare in a 9.8, and sells for a premium over the direct edition. Same with Spawn #9, which is even more scarce.

#opinion...That being said, I don't see the need for the notation though, it's plain as day whether there's a barcode or not.

angelaspawn-ns.jpg

Thanks. I agree, it's plain as day but if that's what collectors want, I've got nothing against it. From the looks of these sales, they are still selling for big premiums without any label notation. Would label notation really increase the premium ? If anything, I suspect the notation, and possible census numbers, would show they are not as rare as everyone surmises.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,016 posts
1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Thanks. I agree, it's plain as day but if that's what collectors want, I've got nothing against it. From the looks of these sales, they are still selling for big premiums without any label notation. Would label notation really increase the premium ? If anything, I suspect the notation, and possible census numbers, would show they are not as rare as everyone surmises.

Spawn 1 newsstand is in fact selling at a premium - without any label notations or census. For the #1.  Issue number 9 actually is noted by CGC when it is newsstand. On the comic and in the census. Because there is a slight variation with the cover and CGC has always noted it. 

This information gives collectors some information - imperfect perhaps but SOME information - as to the relative scarcity of the two different versions. CGC has graded 2049 direct editions and 95 newsstand editions. So less than 5% are newsstands. 

The information in a census of direct vs newsstand would be helpful to collectors now that a market has developed that pays more for the less common printing.   I think if such information was available collectors would learn a lot.  Like for instance it is the direct editions that are less common before the mid 1980's. And that some individual issues and titles  continued to sell better on the newsstand than the overall production of all of a publishers comics indicates by year.  And maybe since collectors are paying more it should be on the label for that reason alone - census or not. 

I truly do not personally care. I think it's mistake to pay more for newsstand over direct or the reverse. But even if I believe it is dumb money it's still real money, right? 

For me the real question remains - and you Bob have mentioned it too - is if this works for CGC. They have 18 years (and counting) of census data so starting to count newsstands now makes them look way more rare than they really are. And the other two companies that are noting newsstand on the label don't have a census. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,770 posts
2 hours ago, Les Tunes said:

Yes, things are going over your head, as you've been given several straight answers. Just because you're not aware of something doesn't mean it doesnt exist :baiting: I think you just don't hang out/read threads in the same areas that these people do. You haven't seen their leader RMA constantly blitching about this for years?

Tunes, your comments seem to imply I am against the labeling, I am not. BTW, I am very familiar with RMA, actually a big fan but I don't read much in the Moderns setcion. I actually seek out and collect DCU UPC variants and I do pick up Newstand copies when I find them. In fact, I just found a couple Venom Lethal Protector #1's Newsstand hidden away in my crawl space. All that being said, I was not aware of any desire to get these things labeled.  As a collector, it doesn't matter to me that's it on the label or not, especially since I can plainly sees it. Apparently, per Tony S., it would help with the statistics. Other than that, is there something else I am missing ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
1 1