• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1st Appearance of Doomsday??

262 posts in this topic

my memory stinks but wasent the "panic in the sky" story line somehow tied into doomday for a while? is that not considered part of it now? or was it ever?

It was associated, but it was only speculation.

That connection is currently considered a "comic book urban legend".

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2006/06/29/comic-book-urban-legends-revealed-57/

That's the book I was trying to remember which sellers tried to make into a Doomsday appearance.

loldoh!

Thanks for the reminder.

I still like Superman #66 from the nostalgia angle... because I remember the hype and speculation.

So even though the comic isn't part of the Doomsday storyline, it IS part of my Doomsday memories.

:cloud9:

As much as I love the book, I do not believe MOS #18 is Doomsdays first appearance. Since we see Doomsday's arm in previous issues, I'd count that as his first appearance. It does not matter that we only see a portion of him, it's still Doomsday.

:facepalm:

Pretty sure most of the collecting public wouldn't even count a single appendage as a cameo much less a first appearance.

I was home about a month ago, digging through some longboxes that didn't make the move to Texas with me (due to the move being so quick), and found that my mom found some books from when I was a kid, and tossed them into my more recent collection. . . upon inspection, I found an Uncanny X-Men #129 (direct) and 134-137, along with everything on the list you provided from MOS #18 on. There are two copies of MOS #18 and I still have Superman #75 in the black polybag. I brought them all back with me.

I will keep these for nostalgia, along with the Knightfall storyline. There are some great covers in those two stories.

Now that is a nice surprise to hear of.

:applause:

You mom makes it into the "nice" versus the "naughty" list. Only mothers that toss out comic books make it onto the naughty list.

:sumo:

Also, did all issues of the Death of Superman got more than 1st printing, aside from MoS 18 and Superman 75???

There's a thread around here somewhere that mentions and even has pics of most of the books with multiple printings.

As much as I love the book, I do not believe MOS #18 is Doomsdays first appearance. Since we see Doomsday's arm in previous issues, I'd count that as his first appearance. It does not matter that we only see a portion of him, it's still Doomsday.

:facepalm:

Pretty sure most of the collecting public wouldn't even count a single appendage as a cameo much less a first appearance.

True.

we all know MOS 18 goes for more than the "cameo" as most people regard that as his first appearance. It's also one of my favorite Coppers (please give me an excuse to list all the copies I have......)

If that's what most of the community is saying, that's fine. I've never been one to follow the herd.....

I was home about a month ago, digging through some longboxes that didn't make the move to Texas with me (due to the move being so quick), and found that my mom found some books from when I was a kid, and tossed them into my more recent collection. . . upon inspection, I found an Uncanny X-Men #129 (direct) and 134-137, along with everything on the list you provided from MOS #18 on. There are two copies of MOS #18 and I still have Superman #75 in the black polybag. I brought them all back with me.

I will keep these for nostalgia, along with the Knightfall storyline. There are some great covers in those two stories.

Now that is a nice surprise to hear of.

:applause:

You mom makes it into the "nice" versus the "naughty" list. Only mothers that toss out comic books make it onto the naughty list.

:sumo:

Yeah, she's pretty cool!

Also, did all issues of the Death of Superman got more than 1st printing, aside from MoS 18 and Superman 75???

There's a thread around here somewhere that mentions and even has pics of most of the books with multiple printings.

Now that would be a cool thread..... I wonder how hard it would be to collect all DoS printing in CGC. Anybody tried to do this? I already have MoS 18 2nd print in CGC (by mistake)

Ok. Can someone clarify Doomsday's first appearance for me?

Is it man of steel 17 or 18??

I hadn't noticed! I need to pull out my box of 17s and send them in...Last sale was $148!

Thanks bud. My copy is pure nostalgia for me. Bought this copy during the Death of Superman craze back in the day.

Good luck with the submission!

Yeah, I am not looking to get any money off of this. Just to have in my collection!!

It`s a good comic book to keep an eye on in the future for investment. ;)

Isn't the print run in the millions?! I guess so is X-Factor 6 but it sells for $200+.

MOS 17 has been a quick sale book for some time. Many realize this was the book that kicked off the story arc.

Now watch how many 9.8s make it to Ebay and here, and what descriptions will be posted for relevance. Money changes minds.

lol

Isn't the print run in the millions?! I guess so is X-Factor 6 but it sells for $200+.

MOS 17 has been a quick sale book for some time. Many realize this was the book that kicked off the story arc.

Now watch how many 9.8s make it to Ebay and here, and what descriptions will be posted for relevance. Money changes minds.

lol

I think we just created a craze...... :insane: